Seatbelt alarm, need fix

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
kimiye

Seatbelt alarm, need fix

Post by kimiye »

I saw mention of my seat belt alarm problem on another forum, but no solid answers. The alarm goes off all the time, especially in hot weather. The dealer told me $270 to replace the alarm unit (!), but I'd rather disconnect the alarm since I always wear my belt anyway. What's the best way to do this? As summer in Florida heads into full heat, this alarm is going to drive me nuts.<P>Kimiye<BR>kimiye@att.net<BR>1992 MX3 GS, 88K miles, Diamond White<BR>
Kimiye<BR>kimiye@att.net
JahOutkast

Re: Seatbelt alarm, need fix

Post by JahOutkast »

I'm having apparently the same problem. I haven't noticed that it happens more when it's hot, but that could be the case. It's just any time I lean forward a little bit (I always have the seat slid all the way back) that annoying beeping starts. If I could safely disable it that would be awesome.
JahOutkast

Post by JahOutkast »

bump
ddmalcore

Post by ddmalcore »

if you take out both front seats, then take off the back piece of the center console- roughly from the front of the seat back, then all you have to do is disconnect the little wire harness that connects to the seatbelt housing. put your car back together and you'll be good. takes about half an hour.
kimiye

Post by kimiye »

Thanks for all the advice, especially the web page! Now, considering that the most mechanical thing I do with my car is put gas in it and drive it to the dealer, I guess I'll have to find someone to do this disconnect for me, I hope for less than $270. Just a note-- the dealer in Longwood, Florida, would not fix the problem based on the seatbelt warranty. <P>Kimiye<BR>
Kimiye<BR>kimiye@att.net
mxcess

Post by mxcess »

I haven't had a problem with the annoying beeping ever since I installed my two Autotech SS 12's and Jensen 400, but I have noticed the little red light coming on ever so often. Image It might be cheaper to go with the other posts, but not near as fun. Remember bass is not to be heard, but felt!
JahOutkast

Post by JahOutkast »

I did the fix from the tech info section on my car over the weekend and it seems to have fixed my problem! I'm thrilled. One thing I should mention is that the wiring diagram was backwards (at least with my car!). If you go by the colors of the wires however, you'll be fine.<P>Kimiye--I live in Longwood. If you haven't gotten yours fixed yet I'll do it for you for like $20. Of course it would just be the fix talked about on tech info section like I did on mine (disabling the beep and light) as opposed to actually installing a new seat belt control box. If you're comfortable with that though, I'll do it for you.<P><BR>Mike<BR>'93 White MX-3 RS
engelzack

Post by engelzack »

that seatbelt alarm is really easy to fix..in my 93 i just took out the front seat unhooked the harness and clipped 2 wires shown on the diagram but please note that it shows 3 your supposed to unhook and when i did all 3 my seatbelts stopped working so i had to take everything back out..its the 1st and 3rd wire
jdogsd1

Post by jdogsd1 »

ok well i had this prob a long time ago but what i did was very diffrent. i took of the midel consol, then were the belt goes in to the housingthere is a plastic piece that can be poped off. so i took that off and it turns out that ehrn the belt spind out of the housing it moves a sencor on a circut board. my prob was that the sencor was full of junk and dirt. i cleaned it off and regreased it up and have nit had n e problems sence. hay i will try and get some pics by tommarow

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”