Nasty Engine Problems

A forum for MX-West Car Club Related Topics. MX-West has two Chapters;, the original is in Vancouver, British Columbia, and the second is in Calgary, Alberta.
wyldside
Supporting Member
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Nasty Engine Problems

Post by wyldside »

The ZE that I can get from a place in Calgary comes with the Distributor attached. It also comes with ECU and Wiring harness.
James Gosteli
X-Prez of MX-West

1992 Seal-Gray MX-3 GSR-ZE (KLZE 2.5L V6) :mrgreen:
1992 White MX-3 GSR-ZE (KLZE 2.5L V6) :( Worklog (Parting out)
1993 Blaze Red MX-3 GS - RIP :cry:
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

Originally posted by JDM:
MOre and more I think this is your disty. Stop wasting your time, try a proven disty in there first.
I agree with JDM on this one. If its cutting out no matter what to condition its not air/fuel related. Your disty is the culprit... I'd bet my ride on it :welder:

<small>[ February 19, 2004, 09:00 AM: Message edited by: Sonicxtacy02 ]</small>
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
Taras

Post by Taras »

Originally posted by WyldSide:
The ZE that I can get from a place in Calgary comes with the Distributor attached....
The question is, is it the ZE external coil disty or the right one for North America
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
cat

Post by cat »

Before you spend any more money on it.
Call Abbey Road at Edm. & talk to a Mazda's Master Mechanic.

They had done a lot of troubleshoot on my 93 GS.
Only problem I remember back at year2000, you got to make appointment at least two weeks ahead. May sounds unreal but true.
CAT..
wyldside
Supporting Member

Post by wyldside »

$$$$ is the problem. I can trouble shoot it myself. So far everything is pointing to the distributor or a relay. If I wanted to waste a crap load of cash on getting some garage to troubleshoot it for $80/ hour I would. Everytime I've taken it to a shop, they either don't fix the right problem, mess up something else, or don't find anything at all. I'm just waiting for some slightly warmer weather so that I can go and take some more readings. Most likely on tuesday. My thought was that I could just put in a ZE and kill 10 birds with one stone but If the ZEs come with different variations of distributor, then that could be more of a pain in the *** .
I'm pretty sure I know what the problem is. It's just what is the most cost effective/car value way to go. If I spend $500 on a new disty, the car is still worth the same. If I put in a ZE with less than 50,000Km on it, that increases the value of the car.
James Gosteli
X-Prez of MX-West

klp834

Post by klp834 »

James,

Where are you getting these $500 disty's from? I bought one from part source on 36th a year and a half ago for about $250. Have you checked there??? Also, you say you bought yours about 5 months ago - I know the partsource one I bought had a one year warranty on it. Have you tried talking to the place you bought it from to see if they'll replace it or cut you a deal on a new one?

Kelly
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

ive just been wondering, many of you guys replaced your disty at least once or more, why not upgrade it with msd or mallory ignition system rather than just replacing with oem. Dont just repair, upgrade!!! :D
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
wyldside
Supporting Member

Post by wyldside »

I think the main issue is always money. MSD ignition isn't always exactly cheaper. :confused2: I'll have to price out an MSD 6A box and a Blaster II Coil to see what I need for cash.

The $500 disty was from Mazda. My last one was remanufactured and they won't help me because the only offer a 6 month Warranty. I checked my invoice from them and it was dated 7 months ago. Figures! :rant2:

I'll check out Part Source. Last time I checked I think it was like $380 but I could be wrong. Maybe the price went up...

<small>[ March 02, 2004, 09:29 AM: Message edited by: WyldSide ]</small>
James Gosteli
X-Prez of MX-West

Taras

Post by Taras »

Just get a used one. As long as the sticker says KLY-01 or similar and NOT K08, you are good. KLY is the upgraded igniter one.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com

Return to “MX-West Car Club (Vancouver, BC / Calgary, AB)”