Battery Corrosion, PLEASE HELP!!!

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
MX-3 Money
Supporting Member

Battery Corrosion, PLEASE HELP!!!

Post by MX-3 Money »

Ok here’s the deal, every week or so my negative battery terminal corrodes. Now I’ve tried changing the cable ends, from the stock one to a gold one and still corrosion. Then I tried a spray that prevents corrosion, it worked for a couple weeks but it would still corrode. Now I wouldn’t care about a little corrosion, but it corrodes so much that I can’t even start my car, it acts like my battery is dead. So I have to get out and clean the Negative cable end. And again it’s only the negative cable end. Now my dad thinks it’s a reaction from the strut tower bar right above the negative cable end, but I don’t think that has anything to do with it. SO can anyone help me with this, PLEASE!!!
1993 MX-3 GS 5 spd, KL-ZE swap, kl31 ecu, 110 amp alternator, Unorthodox Underdrive Pulley, SSautocrome headers, High flow cat, Pacesetter high flow cat-back, B&M shortshifter, Clear Sigs/Sides.
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Re: Battery Corrosion, PLEASE HELP!!!

Post by perhapsadingo8yerbaby »

Dunno if this would help in your situation but I use those green & red felt anti-corrosion ring-pads under both battery connections. Usually cost around a buck at most auto parts places.
MazdaManiacMx3
Supporting Member

Post by MazdaManiacMx3 »

I heard if you put a penny next to it its supposed to help or something ?
And they make felt pads too .
93 Kandy Tangerine Mx3 GS-DE
05 Saab 9-2x (Wrx power plant)
02 Subaru Impreza OBS
05 Subaru forester Xt - sti mods
04 dodge ram - toy hauler -FOR SALE
& Lots of Toys to haul :D
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Post by perhapsadingo8yerbaby »

A penny huh? I heard that too, so figuring more was better, I put a fat wad of 20.00 bills next to the battery post but it didn't help either... ;) :roll:
MX-3 Money
Supporting Member

Post by MX-3 Money »

Ya the pads are the next thing i'm going to try, maybe i'll tape a penny on the terimal too...lol. Thanks guys, Anyone else have anything?
1993 MX-3 GS 5 spd, KL-ZE swap, kl31 ecu, 110 amp alternator, Unorthodox Underdrive Pulley, SSautocrome headers, High flow cat, Pacesetter high flow cat-back, B&M shortshifter, Clear Sigs/Sides.
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

on my s-10 positive cable got so bad (corroded) that I didnt notice it till it snapped right at the terminal. On my mx3 I use those little pads and so far they work, also you can try baking soda, heard it works
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
What

Post by What »

douse in pop first then some baking soda works for me.
MX-3 Money
Supporting Member

Post by MX-3 Money »

Now do you guys mean put some pop or baking soda on to clean the corrosion off or to prevent corrosion? Thanks for the info guys!
Rope04

Post by Rope04 »

Battery Terminal Cleaning and Prevention of Corrosion

-put baking soda on your terminals then pour coke on them
-rinse with water to get that syrup off(coke)
-wire brush to touch up leftover corrision if ANY
-go to Wal-Mart, buy battery terminal anti-corrosion spray(in a very small aerosol can,sprays a red gel)like $3 usd
-clean both terminal wires thoroughly
-spray the batt. terminals with the spray
-put your terminal wires back on and make sure they are very tight and have a very good connection..this also deals with corrosion.
If you are running any type of extra power source(system, Neons or whatever draws power from your battery at somewhat of a fast rate...your prone to get corrosion)but do this and even then it helps out DRAMATICALLY...trust me I had the same problem with my battery.
Ferrari Red w/silver Metallic 92' Mx-3 GsR: Blown 5 Built motors from my past project and am going to N/A for a while as I get use to Megasquirt for proper tuning then may boost....TT setups have too much lag and too low of a power output for the rpm range i sought....Single is better and may do that in future...New project is custom Alum Mani/ with 3-4" runners...NO ?'s about my previous setup I don't want anyone to waste as Much $$$$$$ as I did...listen to BabyBlue and the those guys and go with thier F/I setups
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Get the terminals squeaky clean and coat them liberally with grease - petroleum jelly is best. But make sure they are really clean first. Just remove the terminal, clean using hot water, then light sandpaper (terminal and post), hot water again, real good wipe, reconnect tightly - and then put the petroleum jelly on.

Also make sure the whole battery is clean. I used to look after stationery diesel gen sets and this is all we ever did and didn't have a problem. Good luck!
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
93SOHC

Post by 93SOHC »

My advice: Replace the battery if your worried about the corrosion. New Batt, new terminals, new BOLTS, and some terminal coating spray. Everything new and protected, should have no problems
93SE-KLDE Theres a big peice of metal inside my other peice of metal now...weird???

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”