CV Boots

A forum for MX-West Car Club Related Topics. MX-West has two Chapters;, the original is in Vancouver, British Columbia, and the second is in Calgary, Alberta.
Astalanya

CV Boots

Post by Astalanya »

Greetings. I'm a new owner of a '94 MX-3 Precidia that I've had for about a month. After having BCAA's independent inspectors look it over, I was warned the CV boot (front left side) looked like it needed replaced. I've taken quotes from some of the dealers around Vancouver/Burnaby/Port Moody/New West and their rough estimate on replacing it is $300+ a side. This seems fairly high. Can anyone recommend a better source for parts, or better yet, a good independent mechanic to nurture my newly found baby? <p>I don't know who to trust in taking care of this car!
BADMX3

Re: CV Boots

Post by BADMX3 »

hey there i'm no mechanic and i replaced the left hand side boot and the actual cv joint > if you wanna get to know your baby this is the best way!
but $300 does sound steep for like 2 / 3 hours labour
sapper

Post by sapper »

Crapy Tire here in North vancouver gave me a quote of $200. You might want to try that.
I saw a street sign yesterday that said Caution! Children playing! so I slowed down. Then I thought Wait! I'm not afraid of children!
Taras

Post by Taras »

I've replaced mine about three times now. And it consistently cost me $96.00 including all the taxes, enviro fees, labour and parts. The boot and the clip cost about $15.00 from UAP/NAPA. They will have to pull the axle, so you will loose a bit of tranny oil. I always provided mine - RedLine MTL. Top top up.<p>May be they are quoting to to replace the whole axle. That soulds more like in the range of $300.00.<p>And please do not go to Canadian Tire.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
RoundTop

Post by RoundTop »

I talked to a mechanic about this. Most places just replace the axle. This is about $300.
Taras

Post by Taras »

Replacing the axle is not needed in most cases, unless you have been careless and been driving with broken boot for a while. I think for mecahnics it is just an easy way to make money.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
BADMX3

Post by BADMX3 »

yeah i think jdm is right in this circumstance do it yourself or get a friend who knows about cars to help.

Return to “MX-West Car Club (Vancouver, BC / Calgary, AB)”