Do your own work?

A forum for MX-West Car Club Related Topics. MX-West has two Chapters;, the original is in Vancouver, British Columbia, and the second is in Calgary, Alberta.
scofflaw

Do your own work?

Post by scofflaw »

Do many of you do the work on your car yourself? How are these vehicles to work on. <P>Scoff.
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Re: Do your own work?

Post by cjthor »

I try to do everything myself. The car is pretty easy to work on. I have changed my driveshafts twice, timing belt twice, brakes, valve cover gasket, belts...blah blah blah. But...I am pretty skilled at working on cars. I am sure you could figure out how to change your brakes and stuff but all depends on the tools at hand. Hope this helps..
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
scofflaw

Post by scofflaw »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cjthor:<BR><STRONG>I try to do everything myself. The car is pretty easy to work on. I have changed my driveshafts twice, timing belt twice, brakes, valve cover gasket, belts...blah blah blah. But...I am pretty skilled at working on cars. I am sure you could figure out how to change your brakes and stuff but all depends on the tools at hand. Hope this helps..</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>In my early years I rebuilt a FIAT Spyder engine. Do my own brakes, change oil pumps on my Accord, do maintenance and that kinda stuff.<P>I made an offer on a car tonight, I'll see if the buyer accepts or not. <P>When I looked at the engine, everything appear to be pretty squished in there. Is it easy to get in from underneath, or does a lot of that stuff pull off the top?<P>I figure it will need a timing belt, and I think I can do that no problem. There is a shop manual CD available on the web (if anyone knows if it is any good, let me know) With the manual and advice from this forum, I figure I can handle it.<P>Geez, I getting excited here. I hope she accepts the offer.<P>Scoff.
Shades

Post by Shades »

I do my own maintenance... oil change, brakes, etc... I do what I can without owning any tools.<P>I recently did my distributor O-ring by myself when Mazda wanted about $100.<P>My brother is apprenticing at some garage so I get some stuff done there.
JoN - Ex-Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Apprentice
1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica

RACING BP fully built with Twin Scroll GT3071R TURBO @ +30psi - Specs and Pictures

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

i do my own maintenance. so far, ive done a c/f hood for an 89 awd turbo impulse, ive done a ram-air intake setup and a short-air intake and im currently working on a polished aluminum tube for my mx3, ive done interior upholstery and reskinning/painting myself, installed my speakers and new wiring, installed dynamat, installed neon lighting with switch, another switch controlling radar detector and soon my lcd screen, ported header, ported throttlebody, weight reduction, redding taillights, soon a lightbar taillight mod, installed headunit, installed silicone hose kit.<P>i do a lot of stuff myself, but since ive gotten a few products that'll need professional work such as my front bumper and soon my lowering springs, i'll have to finally pay someone to work on my car....unless i can get access to a spring compressor. =D
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
MX-West Car Club

Post by MX-West Car Club »

I try to do whatever I can when I have the time, if I don't I'll have my mechanic down the block from where I work do it for me. You can say that my garage has become the offical MX-West Car Club garage. Besides regular maintenance and replacing parts here and there, I've also done 3 Mazdaspeed Strut swaps, lowering spring swaps, helped with 2 engine swaps(not in my garage), the usual stereo install, intakes, indiglo guages, NX Nitrous Kit install, install Auto Meter guages. There's probably a some more that I can't think of right now. If you ever need any help, give us a shout.
Kevin Gee - President
MX-West Car Club
93 White MX-3 1.6RS
www.mx-west.com
pizzamr2

Post by pizzamr2 »

I don't do jack.... =)<P>well actually, i do what i can.<BR>I have a mechanic 2 doors down, so he helps me fix my car.<BR>and with the mx-3, we havn't had it long enough to really do anyhting.<P>So far what's done is the basic intake, up grade the audio, the front strut bar.<BR>(all the easy stuff) :) <P>next would be the indiglo guages...<P>for my mr2, i try to do as much as i can..<BR>mainly audio stuff...<BR>try fitting 8 speakers in a mr2 :)<P>it's possible...
Taras

Post by Taras »

Kevin, you forgot to mention that car chop that was hanging out your garage for a while :)<P>Taras
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

hey mx-west car club how easy was it to lower your car yourself?
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
MX-West Car Club

Hey Marshmallow15, it was pretty easy. The main tools you need are the spring compressors, deep sockets, torque wrench, regular wrenchs, a shop manual and a second pair of hands to help. The fronts are easy and pretty quick to do, I found that it was a bit of a b@#$h re-installing the back struts back in. Took some time to align the bottom holes to fit the bolts back in.
Kevin Gee - President
MX-West Car Club
93 White MX-3 1.6RS
www.mx-west.com
MX-West Car Club

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Kevin, you forgot to mention that car chop that was hanging out your garage for a while <BR>Taras <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Oh yeah, I forgot about that chopped front end that sat in my garage for about 1/2 a year. :D :D
Kevin Gee - President
MX-West Car Club
93 White MX-3 1.6RS
www.mx-west.com

Return to “MX-West Car Club (Vancouver, BC / Calgary, AB)”