Tail light covers... illegal or not?

A forum for MX-West Car Club Related Topics. MX-West has two Chapters;, the original is in Vancouver, British Columbia, and the second is in Calgary, Alberta.
Shades

Tail light covers... illegal or not?

Post by Shades »

I'm sure you all know about Barry Clark's tail light covers... are they illegal here?
JoN - Ex-Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Apprentice
1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica

RACING BP fully built with Twin Scroll GT3071R TURBO @ +30psi - Specs and Pictures

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Tail light covers... illegal or not?

Post by Custommx3 »

In the US, I've never been pulled over for them. I did pull it off of my car though. The vinyl was becoming weathered.
Soulflare

Post by Soulflare »

As long as there is a large portion of the red,amber lens showing then it is not illegal. I have mine tinted the same way and nvr had a problem with them for the pass few years. Its only if all or close to all portions are covered where u get pulled. So doing it like Barry's will not be a problem here.
Soulflare
Pearl MX-3 GSR (SOLD)
Mystic RX-8 GT
millionflame

Post by millionflame »

In BC they are illegal. Any taillight cover whatsoever is, no matter how much red, or the amber is showing. It's BS I think, but thats just how it is.<P>~A
~ Millionflame (94 GS 120K)
Soulflare

Post by Soulflare »

I guess it really depends on the police officer. But I've been pulled over several times and nvr had a problem with them. Only the reverse purple lights but not the tinted covers.
Soulflare
Pearl MX-3 GSR (SOLD)
Mystic RX-8 GT
Cage

Post by Cage »

When I lived In Las Vegas about 2 years ago The 9:00 O'clock News did a story on the Clear lenses and the tinted headlights and tails. In Las Vegas Nevada It is Illegal and a $110.00 ticket to have any light non OEM modifications. In fact they even pointed out that some of the clear light covers were stamped DOT approved but in Clark County Nevada it is a sure ticket. Also you get one warning if you are ticked again about them they impound the car! God! I don't miss Vegas :confused:
GMGQ

Post by GMGQ »

I agree with what Cage said.<P>I don't think it's a matter of how much of the lense you have showing. When the car manufactuers made the cards, it was the stock lenses that were given approval. So any modification to the stock specifications will change it's specs, and thus the DOT approval is void. Cuz modifying the stock lenses results in less of the reflector showing. I think that's the official line.<P>But in reality, like Soulflare said, it really depends on the cop checking out your car. If he deems that your mod has resulted in insufficient light shining through, then he can give you a ticket/warning. But if it's nothing major (i.e. blackouts), then you should be fine.
Gary Mui ( mx3style@shaw.ca )
Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://mx3slimvisors.2ya.com

Return to “MX-West Car Club (Vancouver, BC / Calgary, AB)”