The perfect launch

A forum for Drag Strip/Track Racing Discussions. (NO Street Racing or Kill Stories, they WILL be deleted.)
ProtegeSTS

Re: The perfect launch

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by white fish:<BR><STRONG>2.2 , 2.3 , 2.4 in that area but when my tires are spinning around 2.7</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>ok, so youre getting the same 60's as me... but you have more power, and youre on a grippier surface. Seems like you should be going faster, dont you think?<P>Anyway, i think there is a misconception of what im saying here. Im not saying to just sidestep the clutch at 6000 rpm here and do a burnout, as thats going to be slower... <P>But you want to get the tires moving quickly, and you dont want the engine to bog. Tires grip the best actually at little bit of a slip angle, but in this case, the angle is zero, so you can spin the tires slightly. Basically, get the tires spinning enough that its pulling the car off the line as quickly as possible. I'll launch at about 3500, and the'll spin up to about 4500-5000 before im fully just gripping with no spin. Maybe I can try to get a video or something of a good launch.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

I'm from the school where tire spin is bad, and so is engine bogging. So to keep the engine at a good speed and the tires from spinning...something has to spin. Namely, your clutch. There's a fine line to it, but I've seen some sick [sub 2.0 ] 60ft times out of PGT's and MX-3's with KLDE's and KLZE's NA with that method. Doesn't do wonders for clutch life, but is proven to be the fastest launch.
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
Ryan Bowen

Post by Ryan Bowen »

I have read that if you rev the engine high like for example 5000rpm then let the the clutch out slow so the tires do not spin. Not even a cherp this will hurt your 60' time. When doing this you may reach high rpms and have to shift into second even before the clutch is out. Some choose to power shift from there on some don't. I would not power shift unless you have a turbo set up to hold the boost level up. This is hard on the clutch for sure and a stock one will not last if you do his alot. also when shifting try not to let the car bob in the front end this will slow your time......This is only what I have read, I have not ever raced and granted that I may have misunderstood the info I studied so I hope it helps.....
aaronthehic

Post by aaronthehic »

I like the 3000-4000 quick drop then ease it up aboot five with just alitte squeek from the tires then hammer it till 7500<BR>and bang second. :)
13.023 @ 105 mph
aaronthehic

Post by aaronthehic »

oh ya , I saw on a test show for the viper vs. vette vs. mustang the "professional driver" said 10% wheel spin gives the most traction.<P>and he's a professional ;)
13.023 @ 105 mph

Return to “Drag Strip/Track Racing”