POWER SHIFTING

A forum for Drag Strip/Track Racing Discussions. (NO Street Racing or Kill Stories, they WILL be deleted.)
nicolasbeique

POWER SHIFTING

Post by nicolasbeique »

Does power shifting (double clutching) actually improve your speed? ---> if you know what you are doing of course... because people say that it does improve you 1/4 mile (gives you an extra "BOOST" between gears) but if you watch racing videos (actually track races) where the cameras are in the cockpit, the pros don't seem to do it... or is it different for track racing then drag?
<A HREF="http://www.spheregraphics.com/" TARGET=_blank>Image</A>
93mxrgs

Re: POWER SHIFTING

Post by 93mxrgs »

you dont doulbe clutch a car with syncro's your talkin bout rev matching... and i dont know for sure if it helps or not... i used to do it.. but i find myself to lazy nowadays... so i just spray :)
Black-93 mx-3 Gs-R<BR>with goodies :) :)<BR>Hondas suck, and yes i race them...<BR>oops i mean no no i dont
curtklze

Post by curtklze »

Power shifting in a drag race is when you shift gears without lifting your foot off the gas.<P>Not good if you use nitrous.<BR> <BR>If you miss a shift your engine will hit the rev limiter.
DONT SHIP WITH UPS!!! DIE UPS DIE!!!!!
Yes, I AM a bastard
Here is my web site, I made this last year but didnt feel like shareing it untill now.
http://members.rogers.com/curts-klze/

How does this guy know so much?
He's a licenced BMW technician.
Stevech_2001

Post by Stevech_2001 »

double clutching is used to match revs when down shifting...power shifting..just slam the gears as hard as possible....I'd just clutch and shift as fast as you can
Steve

Post by Guest »

no no no, double clutching is what they do on semis and big trucks, clutch in to pull it out of gear, and push the clutch in again to put it back in another gear. you dont do this on cars unless your synchros are fucked. and matching your rev speed when downshifting is called "heel and toe downshifting".
MazdaGirl

Post by MazdaGirl »

Dumb question: How do you double clutch?
Stevech_2001

Post by Stevech_2001 »

ya double clutching is used to match revs buddy...to double clutch you like was stated above push in the clutch take it out of gear and put it into neutral them push the clutch again to put it into the desired gear....(fast and the furious is gay when they used the term)
Steve
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

Speed Shifting: Shifting with clutch @ WOT.<BR>Power Shifting: Shifting without clutch @ WOT.
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.

Post by Guest »

i know that stevech_2001 but you said matching revs when you "downshift", thats called heel and toe downshifting. anyways, you dont double clutch in a sports car, it doesnt happen, the fast and furious movie only said that just cuz it sounded cool, sure the movie was cool, but it was far fetched enuf with civics crawling under semis, at least they could've kept the dialogue real.
Falstaff

Post by Falstaff »

"you don't double clutch in a sports car"..<P>heheh you should have tried driving my old, POS 1973 MGB.. old brit cars have poor synchromesh at the best of time so double clutching was very necessary, up-shifting or down-shifting, spirited or normal driving.<P>"spirited" being a relative term in an MGB :)
mmonid

Post by mmonid »

When slowing down, I always double clutch. You push in the clutch, shift to neutral, let the clutch out, tap the gas, push the clutch, and go into the next lowest gear. This will bring the speed of the engine close to the speed of the transmission therefore reducing wear and tear on the clutch, because it does not slip as much. If it is done properly, it will be a very smooth downshift. BTW - it also sounds cool. :D<P>[ June 17, 2002: Message edited by: reklez ]<p>[ June 17, 2002: Message edited by: reklez ]
Matthew Monid

1993 MX-3 RS 5-Speed (Sold)/1997 Volvo 850 AWD Turbo 5-Speed
nicolasbeique

Post by nicolasbeique »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mananamx3er:<BR><STRONG>i know that stevech_2001 but you said matching revs when you "downshift", thats called heel and toe downshifting. anyways, you dont double clutch in a sports car, it doesnt happen, the fast and furious movie only said that just cuz it sounded cool, sure the movie was cool, but it was far fetched enuf with civics crawling under semis, at least they could've kept the dialogue real.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>double clutching when you downshift doesn't mean you have to heel toe. When you downshift sometimes is just to can into a lower gear to get speed. Heel-toe is when you press all 3 pedals to slow down and keep you revs up so that you can slam it in a lower gear (for example around a turn so that you don't engine brake). <P> :D
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nic Beique:<BR><STRONG><P>double clutching when you downshift doesn't mean you have to heel toe. When you downshift sometimes is just to can into a lower gear to get speed. Heel-toe is when you press all 3 pedals to slow down and keep you revs up so that you can slam it in a lower gear (for example around a turn so that you don't engine brake). <P> :D</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>You NEVER "slam" the gearshift. Smooth and fast.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
nicolasbeique

Post by nicolasbeique »

Not with my f*&k-up synchro's ;) !!! Tranny is about to take a turn for the worst so I try not to drive it to hard until I get it swapped with a mx-6 one

Return to “Drag Strip/Track Racing”