Sputtering engine.....check engine lights up !!

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
sickmazda

Sputtering engine.....check engine lights up !!

Post by sickmazda »

Hey everyone,

I've got a 93 mx-3 V, 170K, GS......great little machine... although I've run into engine problems.
While on the express, the engine started sputtering, misfiring and coming to a stop, and the engine light lit up on the dash!

I've replaced the map sensor, no change.
I've replaced the distributor and rotor, the car now idles, but it will not go through the RPM's without eventually sputtering and shutting down....and the engine light lighting up.

I smell unburnt fuel coming from the exhaust, seems as though it's misfiring!

Anyone run into the same situation ?
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Re: Sputtering engine.....check engine lights up !!

Post by perhapsadingo8yerbaby »

Pull your engine trouble codes and go from there. You're doing parts replacements (kaaa-ching) based on possibilities instead of probabilities without seeing what the trouble code(s) is.
MarkMoore

Post by MarkMoore »

Sounds kinda familiar. i think i'm having similar problems....sputtering, check engine light at higher speeds, unburnt fuel, funny things w/ the tachometer/rpm's.... sounds to me like your EGR, Exhaust Gas Recirculation. The EGR recirculates all the unused fuel back into the engine to be used. I think it kinda works like a valve, so if the valve isn't working properly, it can cause a loss of engine performance and gas mileage. Like he said, check the code on it, but if i were i betting man, that's what i'd put my money on...
1992 GS/RS Mutant Automatic
Zetgohan

Post by Zetgohan »

maybe the timing belt slipped? or you crank shaft positioning sensor... that's what I had with my 4-cyl

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”