What yr to buy?

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Austoon

What yr to buy?

Post by Austoon »

Im STILL trying to find myself a v6 mx3, but i was just wondering if certain yr's model where better then others?...and if so which one was the best?

I also was wondering (i think i read it somewheres) that the like 95-96 model have less power in them...is that true or am i just thinkin of something else?, I'v looked in the brochure for the 96 on this site but it still says the v6 has 128hp so just thought i'd check.

Thanks
J-Bird

Re: What yr to buy?

Post by J-Bird »

My 1992 (V6 DOHC) MX-3 has the stock K8DE and it has 130hp, so I don't think its much different than any other year with a stock engine. 1992's have a few bugs that it seems were worked out in the 93's (TPS issues it seems). I've seen lots of 93's for sale, and that was also the 25 anniversary year for Mazda, so theres a few more colors & whatnot to choose from.

Of course you can always mod it up to get a few more hp out of it. I don't think the year matters as much as the condition of the engine.

Good luck in your search!
RoundTop

Post by RoundTop »

MX-3 GS (quick) FAQ:

Different models:
93-94
95-96

All of them have the K8DE, that said, the 95/96 ones use ODBii so for engine swaps it is harder unless you go to a post 1995 engine (which should also be ODBii). 95-96 GS were only availiable in canada (not in US), have a different spoiler (more wrap-around), and sweet rims.

The US versions of the 92-94 GS had motorized seatbelts which were plagued with problems and there was a free recall to go to the pillar mount that all canadian ones have.

The dash style of the 95/96 is also different as it is more bubly.

Other than those differences, there is nothing else. No power differences between the years really.

James "RoundTop" Magnan
MX-West, Vancouver, BC, Canda
1996 MX-3 GS, Brilliant Black. NGK Leads, Corksport upper strut tower bars front and rear, PRN air intake with custom inlet hole, shifter knob
Waiting: Sport clutch and SS clutch cable.
Austoon

Post by Austoon »

Ah alright,
Is there any year that everyone would pick over the rest?...im guessin 93-94's since it seems like thats what i hear everyone seems to have?

Thanks alot for the help with the question
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

i like the 92-93 for the interior, not as busy as the later ones
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Originally posted by RoundTop:
MX-3 GS (quick) FAQ:

Different models:
93-94
95-96
What makes the 92 different than the 93?

Typically, not that i know of, it isn't any diffrent than the 93's. The early 1992's (manufactuered in 1991) with the square renault-style logo, but thats about it. The Mazda logo was rounded so it doesn't look like renault logo, i think there was almost a lawsuit over it.

92-93: GS: 1.8L v6
RS: SOHC 1.6l i4 @ 88hp
SE: GS with leather interior, special paint color and 25th anniversary badging

94-95: Update on interior, chaning dash and rear seats styles and changed spoiler to rap around style
GS: stayed with the 1.8l v6, but temperature sensors reduced form 3 to 2
RS: updated to a DOHC 1.6l @ 105hp

Late 95-96+ v6 where updated to OBDII

<small>[ September 30, 2004, 10:36 AM: Message edited by: Nd4SpdSe ]</small>
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”