Dash Lights?

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Ricksmx3
Supporting Member

Re: Dash Lights?

Post by Ricksmx3 »

Yeah bridge the red and black wires together with another piece of wire. I used some remote wire from my stero system and it is working fine.
2010 MazdaSpeed 3
m92_MX3

Post by m92_MX3 »

so just some speaker wire would work and do i have the lights on while i am connecting them !?
CTC Racing
92 1.6L
93 323 Tranny, ACT clutch, Exhaust, cold air intake, MSD Blaster 2 coil, MSD 8.5mm super conductor wires NGK V-power platinum plugs,engine dress up,custom interior(almost done), GS front bumper, GS 5 spoke wheels Painted white.
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Yea, just touch the bridging wire on the 2 wires in the plug and see if the dash lights come on.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
m92_MX3

Post by m92_MX3 »

what if they dont ? is there a chance i could have messed something up ? and do i just touch the wire to the metal prong type things insaide the plastic thing ? or do i leave it there ?
CTC Racing
92 1.6L
93 323 Tranny, ACT clutch, Exhaust, cold air intake, MSD Blaster 2 coil, MSD 8.5mm super conductor wires NGK V-power platinum plugs,engine dress up,custom interior(almost done), GS front bumper, GS 5 spoke wheels Painted white.
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Just touch the prongs with the bridging wire at the same time while the lights are on and look to see if the dash lights come on. That will prove if the dimmer is u/s. You can only mess it up if you short the wrong ones.

Now you got the dimmer out, why not take it to someone? Be safer.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
m92_MX3

Post by m92_MX3 »

so dont leave it bridged ? and yeah i will thanks alot i am going to go try it right now
CTC Racing
92 1.6L
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Just see if they come on first while it is bridged. They still might not work...
m92_MX3

Post by m92_MX3 »

yeah they came on and i am so happy, wthat made my night, so i shouldnt keep it like that or what ? and thanks alot i feel like i should payyou guys for helping me, i'm not but i feel like i should lol :2thumbsup:
CTC Racing
92 1.6L
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Thats a relief!!!

Now you can either replace the dimmer with a new one or leave it bridged out in the plug. If you leave it bridged out your dash lights won't dim.

Be careful whatever you do cause you don't want to short out that other wire. Its 12 volt.

If you leave it bridged you'll need to make sure the bridging wire has good connections in the plug - thats important. Maybe you can put a couple of crimp lugs on it or something. Then you can just push the plug back behind the dash and put your old dimmer back to fill the hole.
m92_MX3

Post by m92_MX3 »

what if i put some elctical tape over it all so nothing comes out because i dont know what the clamping things your talking about are and thanks once again
CTC Racing
92 1.6L
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

The connections need to be tight so make sure its a good connection and them tape it all so it can't move.
m92_MX3

Post by m92_MX3 »

thanks man
CTC Racing
92 1.6L
Ricksmx3
Supporting Member

Post by Ricksmx3 »

yeah all i did was put some electric tape over it and made sure the wire was pushed in there pretty good and it hasent hurt it yet.
2010 MazdaSpeed 3
m92_MX3

Post by m92_MX3 »

thanks guys :2thumbsup:
CTC Racing
92 1.6L
m92_MX3

Post by m92_MX3 »

well tonight i was finnishing up the wires and i had the head lights on and all so i could see if they were working and the wire started to smoke and the dash lights went out ? do you think i didnt use big enough wire ? or did i really mess somethng up
CTC Racing
92 1.6L

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”