For those with 17"s, what tire pressure you running

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
jumboplay

For those with 17"s, what tire pressure you running

Post by jumboplay »

I know this topic has been explored before, but it's been a while and we're all now older and wiser. I'm looking for opinions because no matter which PSI I choose, I always think it could "feel" better. I'm running 40 psi front and back.
-Tom J, proud MX-3 pilot-
Get your entertainment upgraded at http://www.tommyv2.com

1996 MX-3 RS/GS hybrid, OBDII B6-ZE, painted Mazda crystal white, ZX-2+Eibach, Miglia Spyder 17"s, markerflash, black altezzas, insane fuel economy, too many other mods to list...
quicksliver

Re: For those with 17"s, what tire pressure you running

Post by quicksliver »

...huh?
fry_81

Post by fry_81 »

not all tires have the same pressure ratings. you'd have to check with the company who made your tires.
1994 5spd GS Parts Car For Sale 800obo. e-mail for details. fry_81@hotmail.com
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Originally posted by fry_81:
not all tires have the same pressure ratings. you'd have to check with the company who made your tires.
Why? What does the tire manufacturer have to do with what tire pressure you should run?
jumboplay

Post by jumboplay »

Well obviously every tire says something different on the side. Mine stock tire said 32 PSI, which is the car spec, and my 17s say 44 PSI. Everyone runs at a different pressure, I was just seeing what you guys were running. There are pros and cons to every range of pressure, I just wanted to get some opinions on your experiences with the different ranges, that's all...

1996 MX-3 RS/GS hybrid, OBDII B6-ZE, painted Mazda crystal white, ZX-2+Eibach, Miglia Spyder 17"s, markerflash, black altezzas, insane fuel economy, too many other mods to list...
Taras

Post by Taras »

35/38 psi depends. There has been a discussion on the Yahoo Groups recently about it.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
DJsMX-3

Post by DJsMX-3 »

Id like to know allso,but think its going to be diffrent for the various rimsizes...

I dont see how a 17 x 8" tire should run on the same pressure as a 17 x 6,5... The longer theres between the inner/outer rimedge the more pressure should be used to inflate the tyre to correct contact with the road..

I have asked many and allways only got slumped answers,would be cool though if it was possible to get a pressuresensitive plate and hook it up to the computer,then you'd just roll your car onto the plate and adjust the pressure untill you'd see the same pressure allover where the tyre has contact with the pressuresensitive plate,and all could adjust their pressure to fit excactely what rimcombo theyre running ;)

One good advice i have gotten though is,when you have driven your tyres warm,stop and feel the temperature on the tyre (if its colder in the middle than on the outsides youre underinflated and vice versa)

But for this to be ideally correct you should have driven your tyres warm on a level straight road,thus not heating up the sides of the tyres by driving on a road thats tilted to one side or by tourning..
1992 MX-3 V6 Z1 Arbet VIII 17 x 8" -35mm Proracing Springs on KYB Sports, Corksport Strutbars, Brembo Cross Drilled & Slotted, Goodridge SS Brakelines, Corksport SS Clutchline, Mazdaspeed Enginemounts & Front arm bushings, All SRD bushings in shifterlinkage and cross member, Pacesetter Shortshifter, KN Conefilter, Custom SS Exhaust, Stereo Oldschool Goodies Denon & Phoenix Gold, Boston Pro & Cerwin Vega and lots of other small goodies
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

im running a set of pirelli p7000s 215/40/17 at about 38 psi WEEE THEY GRIP such a great tire to bad they recently discontinued them
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

on my Falken zeix 512's.. 205x40x17 .. 38PSI
DJsMX-3

Post by DJsMX-3 »

Hmm im not quite sure,but if i remember right im allso only running on 215/40/17 So i guess 38Psi should be good for me too,Mnemonic is your tirewear even on your tires? :)
1992 MX-3 V6 Z1 Arbet VIII 17 x 8" -35mm Proracing Springs on KYB Sports, Corksport Strutbars, Brembo Cross Drilled & Slotted, Goodridge SS Brakelines, Corksport SS Clutchline, Mazdaspeed Enginemounts & Front arm bushings, All SRD bushings in shifterlinkage and cross member, Pacesetter Shortshifter, KN Conefilter, Custom SS Exhaust, Stereo Oldschool Goodies Denon & Phoenix Gold, Boston Pro & Cerwin Vega and lots of other small goodies
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

yep, nice and even
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

for best driveability put 5psi under max to max pressure in front. and 8 to 10 psi under that in the rear. unless you plan on carring a load in the rear, then put more. but for all around handling and driveability that will be the best set up. and if you do alot of commuting all by your self put just alittle bit more like 2 to 3 psi extra in the drivers tire, helps with wear.
jumboplay

Post by jumboplay »

Damn it, so many good choices. I tried out 38 front/back today, it's awesome. I was always obsessed wondering if I should add more air to my side since I usually drive alone. Now it's been mentioned. Arrrgh! Thanks guys. I'll try 38 for my gauntlet of tests later today.

psneddon

Post by psneddon »

Hmm, interested about this tire pressure thing. I have always just used the info on the sticker on the drivers door for 28psi. Should I punp them up a little higher?

Just noticed you specify 17", I'm just stock 15" - but still interested in optinions never the less :)

Paul

<small>[ September 06, 2004, 06:11 PM: Message edited by: Paul Sneddon ]</small>
jumboplay

Post by jumboplay »

If you're running stock, by all means use the door jamb sticker. That's what it's there for. 28 psi - that means you have a GS, RS is 32. I couldn't bring myself to use 28 psi for a low-profile 17" tire. It seems criminal to have it that low - increases the chances of denting a rim, you know? But play around with it - find the right spot for you and tell us how it works out!

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”