KVR Brake Upgrade, or Slotted or CD Rotors, or Both...

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
Gro Harlem

Re: KVR Brake Upgrade, or Slotted or CD Rotors, or Both...

Post by Gro Harlem »

those prices suck anyways. A guy over on clubprotege is doing a groupbuy for brembo rotors (slotted, drilled or both, your choice) for like 90 a pair for front or rear. Also selling technafit SS lines for like 85 and pads for 35 or something.

I forget exactly but the link to the forum is http://clubprotege.com/forum/
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

Originally posted by Pat:
Come on...

If you use OEM brakes and go 200 km/h you will not brake as fast as if you were going 100 km/h...

Thats only logical... If you have more power HP = higher top speed = need more breaking capability for more security.

Our OEM disc are pretty ****ty... You cant even compare that to a 11 - 12" big brake kit with some 4 pistons calipers.
once again...

braking distance (the FIRST time) is DUE SOLELY to traction limitations as long as your oem system is working properly.

the OEM disks are fine for ALL the guys actually RACING their cars on a track. If you need more heat capacity, put in ducting.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

Originally posted by nope-mx3:
I think someone has not grasped the concept of brake rotors.

I read here that you could get wichever rotors you wanted, as they all had the same stopping power because the size is the same...

This is just soooo wrong.
What creates the stopping power is the rotor`s surface and the pad that gets pushed onto it.

thus, cheap rotors are made of cheap metal and will give less friction, especially with performance pads.

performance pads will create more heat, and if the discs aren`t of good enough quality they will get very hot (as they all get) and might warp. also, if it gets hot enough it will create a gas between the pad and the disc wich glaces the disc, and this is what makes the brakes fade.

better quality metal in the rotors, and better pads will push this limit further, and then giving more friction for a longer time.

I run EBC greenstuff on my original discs, and I noticed a small increase in stopping power, but the discs are getting thinner incredibly faster.

There`s no way I`m gonna "save" a few bucks and buy standard discs for performance pads.

nope-mx3
cheap rotors and brembo rotors are made of the same stuff... cast iron. Friction is the same. The rotors job is to remain stable at high temps, and absorb heat energy. That's it.

Also, street pads of the last 10 years don't outgas anymore. They won't build up gas. Cross-drilled rotors don't do a damn thing other than crack easier. And slotted aren't do much either.

The key to braking better than anyone else is tires, suspension, and alignment. The end.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
Jutzi420

Post by Jutzi420 »

Originally posted by ProtegeSTS:
The key to braking better than anyone else is tires, suspension, and alignment. The end.
Amen. If you can lock up your brakes, or trigger ABS, then the fanciest rotors in the world won't do anything. Get better rubber.

Of course I do have cadmium plated / x-drilled rotors, I just bought em cause my stock ones were too thin and too rusty.

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”