Strange Smell

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
psneddon

Strange Smell

Post by psneddon »

Hi, I've had my MX3 for a few months now and recently had it in for its service and MOT, I also has the rear springs replaced and the offside front drop link replaced.

However since the parts where replaced and I picked it up there has been a strange smell around the outside of the car, I mainly notice it when standing at the sides of the car. It is kind of like an exhaust smell but it contains something else that I can't quite describe?, its not a egg or sulphar smell. I tood it to a garage and the back 2 parts of the exhaust do need relaced but they also had a look around the engine and under the car and they can't see anything that would cause the smell.

The other strange thing is that I can also smell it when the car is not running so it can't be directly related to the exhaust.

Any ideas.

Paul
Tempus

Re: Strange Smell

Post by Tempus »

Is the smell strongest when the car has just been running? does it fade over time (like sitting overnight) or get stronger?

I had a problem similar to that with mine for a while, was most noticable right after I turned off the engine.. asked dealer and he said it was from the CAT, and caused by using cheap gas.. (I was guilty of using cheapest gas I could find, mostly arco).. changed to Chevron/Texaco (now shell) gas and the smell went away.. (note, this was not an issue of Octane, but just the overall 'quality' of the gas)
{sigh} Time to move on
Out with the old: Tropical Emerald MX-3 GSR (KL-DE)
In with the new: Phantom Blue Mazda3s GT
n_o_s_21

Post by n_o_s_21 »

get your batt/alt checked. if your electrical system is over charging, your battery can make a weird smell. feel the sides of it and if it is super hot than you know thats the culprit.
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Post by perhapsadingo8yerbaby »

Any update Paul? How did you fare on this one? Might not be a car-related problem...

I recently had an unusual experience with a strange non-mechanical related odor. http://www.mx-3.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=001426

In another case some years back, I had an old Datsun and was camping for a few weeks when noticing a strange smell inside the car. Turned out that mice had somehow gotten into the food supplies stored in my trunk and they made themselves at home building a nest from the fibers of the rear seat cushions between the trunk and rear seat.

A few months ago, my freaked out Mom calls me with a strange smell complaint about her car, a Z-3 Beamer. She also mentioned that her passenger side headlight seemed to be "fading". I told her my mouse story and she laughed saying "I keep it garaged and don't camp or keep food in there so doubt that's the problem." She was only half right ;)
psneddon

Post by psneddon »

I think the smell has gone :) It was really strange - defo a car/mechanical type smell. Must have been a new parts smell or something.

Thanks for your info!!!
Tempus

Post by Tempus »

that or someone stuffed Haggis down the cabin air intake when you were not looking...

:werd:
{sigh} Time to move on
Out with the old: Tropical Emerald MX-3 GSR (KL-DE)
In with the new: Phantom Blue Mazda3s GT

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”