zx2 + eibach woes

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
Ryencool

zx2 + eibach woes

Post by Ryencool »

I love the setup except the fact that its killing my tires. My camber is way off -2 on hte fronts and -3 in the rear. I just bought some camber bolts. I dont see any diffrence after installing thme but im sure a 1 - 1.5 degree diffrence isnt extremly noticable. Im goin to the shop ot get two front new tires befroe I try to drive from NY to TX in a few weeks. Anything else i can try?

<small>[ September 27, 2003, 01:08 PM: Message edited by: Ryencool ]</small>
92 red rs
performance exhaust
zx2 struts and Eibach springs
turboed + stand alone when the cash is there
Ryencool

Re: zx2 + eibach woes

Post by Ryencool »

just went to discountire.com and found some falken ziex for 48$ a piece plus free shipping, cant beat that eh. Hopefully with these bolts i can solve my alignment woes ;(
92 red rs
performance exhaust
Mazdaracer

Post by Mazdaracer »

I found that using a nice concrete (read: dusty) driveway you can get a better idea of the contact patch of the tire. I have -1.5 rear camber, and i definetly notice it. Infact, i wish i had your problem...i can't get more than -1.25 up front. Now i also refuse to use 2 bolts on the same strut mount, they just look pretty dinky...i have no bolts in the rear and 1 each up front in the top slot.

You could also slot the stuts mounting holes for positive (towards the engine) camber. Basically the same as using the bolts, but if the bolts aren't enough, the slot could make up the difference.

(ZX2 + H&R for the MX3)

<small>[ September 27, 2003, 04:27 PM: Message edited by: Mazdaracer ]</small>
THINK FAST, GO RACING!!
2004 Mazda6 Wagon
2004 Mazda3 Sedan
1990 BG8P Protege LX - KLZE - Race Preped - #98 SM - SCCA Solo2
millionflame

Post by millionflame »

Originally posted by Mazdaracer:
You could also slot the stuts mounting holes for positive (towards the engine) camber. Basically the same as using the bolts, but if the bolts aren't enough, the slot could make up the difference.
What do you mean by slotting?

Like cutting a bigger hole or something???

~A
~ Millionflame (94 GS 120K)
curtklze

Post by curtklze »

good lord: :roll:

just break down and spend $100 on a 4 wheel alignment, you already have the camber bolts, so just do the job properly and be done with it.

P.S. The Toe is what is wearing out the tires, not the camber.
DONT SHIP WITH UPS!!! DIE UPS DIE!!!!!
Yes, I AM a bastard
Here is my web site, I made this last year but didnt feel like shareing it untill now.
http://members.rogers.com/curts-klze/

How does this guy know so much?
He's a licenced BMW technician.
Ryencool

Post by Ryencool »

p.s. it isnt the toe. I dont know how many times people have tried to tell me this. If the toe is not dead on, which mine isnt your car pulls to one side, so my stearing wheel is slightly off center. this means toe has no effect and im not dragging the tires cause im straigthening them out. The tires both show similar wear on the inside edge, it istn feathering, it is one side is worn one isnt. maybe your was toe or somone you know but mine is not. When your rear camber is -3 and front is -2, i think thats gonna wear them like mine has done.

SO, for the last time, its the tires sitting like this / \ instead of this | |...simple concept, pull out the mx3 manual it describes it pretty well.

<small>[ September 28, 2003, 05:26 PM: Message edited by: Ryencool ]</small>
92 red rs
performance exhaust
JasonH

Post by JasonH »

So why haven't you gotten an alignment yet?
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

Originally posted by Ryencool:
p.s. it isnt the toe. I dont know how many times people have tried to tell me this. If the toe is not dead on, which mine isnt your car pulls to one side, so my stearing wheel is slightly off center. this means toe has no effect and im not dragging the tires cause im straigthening them out. The tires both show similar wear on the inside edge, it istn feathering, it is one side is worn one isnt. maybe your was toe or somone you know but mine is not. When your rear camber is -3 and front is -2, i think thats gonna wear them like mine has done.

SO, for the last time, its the tires sitting like this / \ instead of this | |...simple concept, pull out the mx3 manual it describes it pretty well.
You're a bit wrong there. IM me if you have more questions, but...

a) if toe is not zero, there is NO reason why it would pull to one side. Infact, I currently run 1/2" toe out upfront. Yes, and entire half inch!! That's ton, and definately not recommened for you guys, so PLEASE don't do this. Anyway, my car doesn't pull to one side at all, and it won't.

Camber will wear tires faster than normal, we all know this. HOWEVER, I run 2 or 3 degrees, same as you, with as heavy a car as you do, and before I ran the 1/2" toe out, my tire wear problems were small. They are far far worse now.

So, how badly are your tires wearing? Did you actually GET an alignment when you put the camber bolts in? A month ago while having to do an emergency camber bolt replacement while IN GRID for Nationals, I could visually see the difference between ~2 degrees and ~2.3 degrees. If you can't see a 1.5 or 2 degree change, you're not looking hard enough, or you didn't get it changed.

BTW, tighten the hell out of the camber bolts, and get a new set with each alignment if you drive hard at all. You need to stress the hell out of the bolts to preclude them from slipping, and they aren't much good to torque again, much like head bolts, rod bolts, etc.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
Ryencool

Post by Ryencool »

i just put the bolts in this week, waiting for my new tires to come in and then ill get an alignment. Im just saying visually i didnt see a diffrence after I installed them. Hopefully the guys whom ount and blance my tires will know how to adjust them correctly incase I didnt, however im 90% sure i did it right. The tires are worn bad, the left front on the inside you can see burn spots, or spots wear the top rubber has torn, maybe hte size of a penny in a few places. Not sure what its called. THe outside has plenty tred left, but they suck in the rain and sharp corners they spin, so not fun. So as of right now i havent gotten an alignmet since the bolts, but visually couldnt see jack after i put them on, should i be worried?

PS. My toe alignments after the spring and stur install were this

toe left front before 0.99 after 0.20
toe right front before 1.36 after .12

both well within spec but could have gotten out since then.

<small>[ September 29, 2003, 08:31 PM: Message edited by: Ryencool ]</small>
92 red rs
performance exhaust
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

are those in degrees?

If so, they are horribly out of spec. My ~half inch is .37 each side.

And when you put the camber bolts in, it gives you freeplay, so if you tried to get rid of some camber, it should be noticeable. It depends on where you tightened them.

and FWIW, unless you've got a good shop, they'll charge you more to adjust camber by those bolts.....and that's only if they actually know HOW to use those bolts. My Mazda Dealership didn't, and I had to have a 10 min conversation with the service manager on how to adjust camber on my car, and how it was perfectly streetable the way I wanted it.

GRRRRR...
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
Ryencool

Post by Ryencool »

well my guess is that between that last alignment and now they have settled wrong or I have hit one to many curbs to knock it back out again. When i was on the phone with teh guy im atkin it to, I tolled him it was lowered and he was all i dunno if we will be able to alight it then. I immediatly said I just installed camber bolts and he goes, you did it the right way then. SO Im guessing hell know, hopefully, maybe, possibly, haha.
92 red rs
performance exhaust
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

well that's good.

the Mazda dealership here is full of idiots.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”