Smooth Lowering Springs??

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
Steeb

Re: Smooth Lowering Springs??

Post by Steeb »

for those that dont want to read the site ive taken a couple points from lowering springs that are different from intrax sport lowering springs

http://www.intraxsuspension.com/prod_springs.html
Originally posted by ProtegeSTS:
define "smooth"

"smooth" as i would define it is controlled by the dampers, not the springs.

Intraxx still has increased rates from stock, so i have no idea how you're going to back that up.
so that just about sums it up.

1. First, the lowered look
2. The second requirement is ride quality
3.Since most of you identified that you drove 90% of your mileage to and from work, you wanted to retain some ride quality enjoyed with OE springs.
4 If you're driving to work on a racetrack, "Sport" or "Race" springs from other brands may be for you.
Sam Baker

Post by Sam Baker »

LOL
yea Mr. Gro, i got what i paid for unfortunately. dropszones were just the most common on ebay (i really should stop bidding on crap) so i'm decidin now on either Intrax or Ground-Control. i've heard awesome things about intrax springs, and also about eibach (which are used on ground-controls.. and since all i've seen advertised on so many rice rockets these days are "groundcontrol" decals.. i think i might as well go with them. probably just as good either way. and YES i realize i shoulda went with a *real* company to begin with. :D lata
~ sam
92 Autozam AZ3
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

Originally posted by Steeb:

4 If you're driving to work on a racetrack, "Sport" or "Race" springs from other brands may be for you.
The majority of you wouldn't have any problems with "sport springs" from most manufacturers.

I feel it's important to understand what you're doing to your car, and how it works. Gives you the knowledge to make intelligent choices the FIRST TIME and therefore, save money in the end.

400 dollars for coilovers is NOT expensive. How much are you guys spending on rims? I'm guessing some of you are easily upwards of 200 bucks a pop.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
Sam Baker

Post by Sam Baker »

lol, i see what ya mean. and from now on i'm definitely researching BEFORE HAND so this doesnt happen again. sadly, i'm almost 19 and am just starting to learn about cars. (fortunately i have a complex car and engine to work on like the GS!!)

yea its not much $$ actually. since u get what u pay for, might as well invest in somethin good quality. :p oh another thing, is it wrong that changing all 4 struts and springs was easier than getting to the thermostat? :freak: LOL just thot i'd add that. lata

~ sam
92 Autozam AZ3
Steeb

Post by Steeb »

personally i think intrax springs with zx2 struts and a rear stabilizer bar would be a good setup for comfort and good handling. imo over dampened light springs rate springs is much better for handling and comfort anyday than underdampened rugged cheap coilovers.
quicksliver

Post by quicksliver »

Originally posted by Steeb:
personally i think intrax springs with zx2 struts and a rear stabilizer bar would be a good setup for comfort and good handling. imo over dampened light springs rate springs is much better for handling and comfort anyday than underdampened rugged cheap coilovers.
Yah, NO! If you want a ride like a ****in' Cadillac...stay away from the ZX2 struts and big rims. You're lookin' for the mazdaspeed struts, paired with a set of ground control coilovers (not dropzones).

<small>[ October 01, 2003, 04:09 AM: Message edited by: Quick Sliver ]</small>
Sam Baker

Post by Sam Baker »

well i got the KYB GR-2 struts (pretty much same as stock but brand new) and was thinkin bout intrax, since some guys have said they're cool, and since they're WAY CHEAPER!! (not that its a big deal, but i just wanna save some money, if the feeling is the same between Eibach or Intrax) anybody think eibach has smoother spring rates? thanx
~ sam
92 Autozam AZ3
Steeb

Post by Steeb »

Originally posted by Quick Sliver:
Yah, NO! If you want a ride like a ****in' Cadillac...stay away from the ZX2 struts and big rims. You're lookin' for the mazdaspeed struts, paired with a set of ground control coilovers (not dropzones).[/QB][/QUOTE]
please expand on that if u will^

imo if i could afford mazdaspeed struts id definately get the mazdaspeed springs that they were tuned for. i doubt that the mazdaspeed struts were tuned for such high spring rates of gc's.protogests has explained it all too many times. each spring rate needs a properly tuned damper. underdampened is bad, overdampened springs should not hinder handling as underdampening would.

there are ways of getting good handling without having ride suffer from excessive spring rates for street. sway bars can help with handling enough that such high spring rates are not necessary for good handling but if you want superb handling then yah some supper stiffys and the bars would be the best with some nice struts but your ride will make your bum numb

kyb gr2 will ride ok with intrax springs im guessing but i believe they were not made for lowered cars but there are people using them in lowered cars. just be careful and dont bottom out. eibachs are supposed to be stiffer than intrax.
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

I've never heard a good thing about intrax. I rode in my buddies car who has them and they were super soft feeling, not performance-like at all.

IMO the only good springs available for this car is: grounc-control coilovers, eibach springs, H&R springs, B+G springs and suspension techniques (although i have heard of quality problems with them).

As for struts...GR2's are basically "performance" OEM replacements, not really meant for lowering. They'd work well with up to a 1" drop, but nothing greater than that. Tokico blues are good for up to a 1.5" drop.

ZX2 struts are good for a 2" drop, anything greater, and you will still blow them out. If you want to slam the **** out of your car properly, get mazdaspeed struts, not even Koni inserts will be able to withstand it, but the mazdaspeeds (made by KYB) will hold up fine, a will the GABs (which are even more expensive).
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

konis will do fine with super low springs...

but you'll need to get them revalved when they blow.

Having less than an inch of suspension travel (what happens when you lower that much) will blow EVERY damn shock out there.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
Sam Baker

Post by Sam Baker »

damn.. i doubt i have any travel on my struts. O_O
i lowered it around 2" on KYB's so.... i'll probably get the zx2's. man so much trouble i've gotten myself into! -_- ok.. so what about cut springs? because that was my other option, since it is cheaper than ANYTHING. how u think it will ride? and would i still need dif. struts?
thanx.. tryin to fix what i've stupidly done, and also build up an awesome suspension/car. peace
~ sam
92 Autozam AZ3
curve

Post by curve »

If you want to try cutting the springs I have a set of stock springs I will sell you so you can have a backup if you dont like that. I think you should be happy with ground control coilovers thats what I have and I love them. Or you can use my springs to cut email me at [email]Curve10780@aol.com" target="_blank[/email]
93 KLZED Mx-3 with MSD ignition, LSD tranny, clutchmasters stage 3 clutch, short throw shifter, underdrive pulleys, Nology plug wires, header with open 2.5" exhaust and ractive muffler, and of course 125 shot Zex system with bottle heater electric bottle opener and purge valve, all autometer carbon fiber gauges, (Dash is completely custom in the gauge cluseter area), alpine deck with 6 disc changer, orion 32 band digital eq, 5 Linear power amplifiers, 2 alpine digital crossovers, 1 JL w5 12" woofer fiberglassed into the spare tire hole, q-form kick panels with 5 1/4 and tweeters, fiberglassed door panels and rear panels, alpine security system, also ground control coilovers, 17" Konig wheels with nitto tires, ractive rear strut tower brace, cross drilled and slotted roters on all 4 corners, GTR rear spoiler, 2 Sets of neons, and clear bumper and corner lights. I cant take credit for building this car it belonged to another mx-3er who built the whole thing and if you would like to see it being built go to Woodyscustomcreations.com

1/4 mile times 13.46 at 103
Sam Baker

Post by Sam Baker »

i was thinkin about cutting my springs, because its cheaper, and i did it on my last car (vw super beetle).. BUT i've heard a lotta bad things about crappy ride quality. i've ordered the zx2 struts, and what is this about the top plate of the strut? ;) peace
~ sam
92 Autozam AZ3
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

Cutting springs is a very touchy subject around here. I've had both good and bad experiences. With my RS, i cut quite a bit off my stock springs, so much that i had negative wheel gap with my 17's. The ride was very rough but very stiff and sporty. Handling was much better, but probaly not worth the loss in comfort level. My black GS i cut maybe 2 inches or so, about a half inch of wheel gap on the same 17's. The ride quality is only slightly stiffer than stock suspension. I am satisfied, but it's definitely not for auto crossing. The GS SE i just bought had cut springs on it already. They bounce like crazy. The ride is comfortable, but it sucks because when you hit a bump the front bounces up and down, which is a bad thing. Keep in mind, this is all on stock struts.
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

I'm not even going to comment. So many people here don't listen to anything anyone says, and still continue to want to "cut my springs".

Most of MX-3.com = All show, no go
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”