Wheels Thumping??

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
Sam Baker

Wheels Thumping??

Post by Sam Baker »

hey,
i recently installed some dropzone springs on kyb struts, and my camber is way off. i've ordered a bolt kit to fix this problem, but my concern is this sound like the wheels are wobbling or falling off!
it's like "thunk thunk thunk" like my wheel is lose but it is not! i'm wondering if this could be caused by the the slanted, camber-adjustment-deprived wheels. any thoughts?
thanx
~ sam
92 Autozam AZ3
marshmallow15

Re: Wheels Thumping??

Post by marshmallow15 »

i have the same sound in the rear passenger side wheel.. im planning to check it out thursday when i have no school or work.. so i'll let you know if i find anything. maybe a bushing came loose or something.
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
millionflame

Post by millionflame »

Well, my best guess would be the tires are rubbing on the fenders.<p>That's what is happening to me right now, and I hear, or feel, a thumping or wobbling sound from the tires.<p>Check for wear on the sidewalls of the tires. You should just see some slight scuffing around the top of the sidewall, or thereabouts.<p>~A
~ Millionflame (94 GS 120K)
Sam Baker

Post by Sam Baker »

thanks, yea the shop i went to yesterday said i was bottoming out.. and i didnt realize what they meant until now. so correcting the camber might fix this right? since then the wheels will be straight and not rubbing the fender wall? anywayz it really sucks and i hope it goes away LOL thanx for your input! :D
~ sam
92 Autozam AZ3
MrMX3

Post by MrMX3 »

ummmmm if your bottoming out there is something else wrong!!
Mike
1993 MX-3 GS
2.5l KL-ZE
My Cardomain Page
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

well either the car is too low (id say more than 1.7") for the car bottoming out at such a low speed, or the car is too bouncy (spring rates).
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
Sam Baker

Post by Sam Baker »

LOL
yea it must be too low. hehe cuz i know i'm past 1.7", but i still have room in the wheel well! its not slammed.. and the front is still high enuff to go over speed bumps, BUT i will try raising it. we'll see if that makes a difference, coz i think u might be right about that. well gotta do something because its driving me crazy. peace outside u guyz & thanx
~ sam
92 Autozam AZ3
Sam Baker

Post by Sam Baker »

craaaap...<p>so i went out to my car, and i found out the inner edge of my wheel touches the lower strut hat when it turns! O_O this, i cannot help, because if i raise the car, i'd have to compress my new lowering springs, and i dont wanna do that. but i'm hoping when i correct the camber, the wheels will tilt back out straight, and they wont touch the strut hat. anywayz, i was not smart and didnt buy tokiko struts (without the hats) so dont do what i did if you wanna lower your mx3! wasted probably an hour taking my strut apart LOL so thats what happened. thanx all for your help, and hope this hasnt happened to anybody else! :p lata
~ sam
92 Autozam AZ3
Ryencool

Post by Ryencool »

if your camber is off your wheel is spinning straight up and down...it can cause a clunking..
92 red rs
performance exhaust
zx2 struts and Eibach springs
turboed + stand alone when the cash is there
Sam Baker

Post by Sam Baker »

lol thanks..
i was hoping that was the problem :D wah hahha lata
~ sam
92 Autozam AZ3
ProtegeSTS