Rear trailing arm bushings?

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
Gro Harlem

Rear trailing arm bushings?

Post by Gro Harlem »

Do any companies make rear trailing arm bushings for the MX3?<p>If not, I might be able to get a company to make some urethane ones. I plan on taking apart the rear of my car, and i'll be able to supply them with the oem bushings to duplicate.<p>Not sure if anyone is interested though.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
maldo

Re: Rear trailing arm bushings?

Post by maldo »

Drop Luc an email at SRD, he is big into track events and has started supplying us with bushings/suspension related parts. If there is interest I am sure he would consider them.
MrMX3

Post by MrMX3 »

I'm not sure what exactly these do, but I want to get rid of all OEM bushings. So if you get 'em made and the price is reasonable, I'm in!
Mike
1993 MX-3 GS
2.5l KL-ZE
My Cardomain Page
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

i plan to replace all or most of my suspension bushings as well.
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
millionflame

Post by millionflame »

Luc already has front bushings, so it wouldn't be much of a stretch for him to make rear bushings.<p>~A
~ Millionflame (94 GS 120K)
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

looking at these replies, i'm guessing there are no bushings made for the mx's. I already sent my trailling arm to the bushing company to see if they can make them. I don't have a press, so i couoldn't get the OEM ones out, so I just brought them the entire arm while my car sits on jackstands (doesn't run yet, so its no biggie).<p>i'll let you know what they say.
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
millionflame

Post by millionflame »

Gro, can't you modify Protege/323 bushings to fit???<p>~A
~ Millionflame (94 GS 120K)
lstpier
Supporting Member

Post by lstpier »

Problem with the rear control arms and trailing arm is that movement of these parts is in 3 axis. You can't make these too stiff otherwise it will limit suspension travel or simply the bushings would not survive. Front control arm bushings can be made solid like the Nylatron ones since movement is only on 1 axis. Real solution would be to fabricate custom trailing arms and control arms using spherical rod ends (heim joints) to provide full 3 axis movement but eliminate all rubber mushiness at the expense of harshness. Oupps, just told you what my current project is all about...
lstpier
Supporting Member

Post by lstpier »

Problem with the rear control arms and trailing arms is that movement of these parts is in 3 axis. You can't make these too stiff otherwise it will limit suspension travel or simply the bushings would not survive. Front control arm bushings can be made solid like the Nylatron ones since movement is only on 1 axis. Real solution would be to fabricate custom trailing arms and control arms using spherical rod ends (heim joints) to provide full 3 axis movement but eliminate all rubber mushiness at the expense of harshness. Oupps, just told you what my current project is all about but just don't ask for them next week. Should be tsting the new setup on the track all summer before thinking to put a kit on the market.
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

The bushings i'm referring to aren't for all 3 arms. THey'd just be for the trailing arm itself...replacing the stock rubber ones with something else.<p>The protege bushings are quite a bit different from the MX3. the mx3 uses a longer trailing arm for some reason compared to the pro. The other arms seem similar, cept for the one where the swaybar link is, which is of course different (but could be used on the protege and vice versa if you wanted to swap the swaybars).
DONATE TO MX-3.COM

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”