Struts 92-Gs

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
Scream

Struts 92-Gs

Post by Scream »

I've been through the forums .. looking to pick up standard struts for non abs .. from what I understand the only difference for abs equipped is a couple of tapped holes for the abs sensor wire bracket ... is this correct??<p>How did everyone get around this ... drill a few holes .. wire tie?<p>Looking for input ... thanks all.
sep42

Re: Struts 92-Gs

Post by sep42 »

You can actually buy non-abs. Monroe and KYB GR2 are oem replacements. You can buy them at canadian tire, napa or lordco (don't know if you have lordco there). They've asked me at all locations whether I've wanted ABS or non.<p>My guess is that ABS will fit just fine on non-ABS car. You need to have 2 holes for the screws that bolt the strut to the wheel hub. You also need a little welded piece (on the strut) where you attach the brake hose, so it doesn't move around.
I don't see why ABS wouldn't have those 2 things.<p> :)<p>[ May 29, 2003: Message edited by: S.N. ]</p>
http://www.nerdinthebox.com <- cheap domains, web hosting and other network services.
Scream

Post by Scream »

Thanks for the quick reply ... so the mounting holes need to be relocated from the original non abs struts ... is that right? If so .. is there room to move them to the right location?
curtklze

Post by curtklze »

this question is bizzar.....??????<p>if your car has ABS (Anti Lock Brakes) the just tell the parts guy at the store and they will give you struts for an ABS car. :shrug: <p>If your car dont have ABS the tell them and they will give you struts for a non-ABS car. :shrug: <p>
It isnt that complicated, I still cant understand what you are trying to do or what the problem is :shrug: <p>
The right pedal is for go........the middle pedal is for stop........the big wheel is to make the car turn......<p>PS. read my sig
DONT SHIP WITH UPS!!! DIE UPS DIE!!!!!
Yes, I AM a bastard
Here is my web site, I made this last year but didnt feel like shareing it untill now.
http://members.rogers.com/curts-klze/

How does this guy know so much?
He's a licenced BMW technician.
Scream

Post by Scream »

Price .. price .. price ... in the forums there's was a few bits about using non-abs struts .. which would save a bundle ... the only thing that was mentioned was having to drill a new mount for the brake line ... anyone know if it's possible?<p>Thanks for the lesson on ordering parts ..I knew I was doing something wrong.
sep42

Post by sep42 »

I have to admit, your posts are very confusing. Does your car have ABS or not?
http://www.nerdinthebox.com <- cheap domains, web hosting and other network services.
Scream

Post by Scream »

The car does have abs ... most of the parts suppliers here don't have a listing for struts for the mx3 with abs. <p>There was a post or two about using struts made for the mx3 without abs ... and only having to find a way to mount, tie wrap, clamp .. either the brake line .. or abs sensor wire.<p>Hoping someone can confirm that struts listed for the mx3 excluding abs .... can be used with just a simple modification to hold the wires.<p>Thanks again.

Post by Guest »

I got the same prob............
I live in kitchener ON and everywhere I went from kyb to even monroe........nobody has a price listing or part listing for a abs strut
back alley

Post by back alley »

i thought for monroe it's the same strut but a different mounting kit.(extra 10 bucks)

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”