Normal Shifting (manual) Floating gears?

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
hgallegos915

Normal Shifting (manual) Floating gears?

Post by hgallegos915 »

I have been driving manual cars for only around 8 months. Still new to this. Ok the propper method? wwell my basic question is.. is it normal to "float"gears example 3rd 4th and 5th without using the clutch? Or is it better to use the clutch when shifting these. I have heard comments that the clutch is only for 1st and second and sometimes 4rd or to downshift, but my concern is..wouldnt this mess up the syncros faster? I always use the clutch for all gears. I assume floating gears prolongs clutch life? whats the normal way to shift on a normal driving method??? both highway and city driving? any help appreciated :)
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Jutzi420

Re: Normal Shifting (manual) Floating gears?

Post by Jutzi420 »

Use the clutch man. whoever told you that it's only for 1st and 2nd doesn't know what they're talking about. If you try to shift without the clutch in any gear you're just gonna grind. Not cool, you're gears will get sloppy in no time.
MX3-Freak

Post by MX3-Freak »

Wow, this would be abosolutely wonderful. Pull the gear lever out of 4th going 50+ mph, the engine disoconnects from the wheels in nuetral and drops to about 1000 rpm. Now shove that gear lever into the wheels going upward of 2000rpms! Yes sir, thats the way to blow them syncros.

lol...sorry for the sarcasim. But doing this would noit only cause mechcanical damage, but the point of lettign ff the clutch slowly is for smooth gear transitions. Imagine not using one! LOL.

Just use the clutch. The only; time doing what you said is acceptable is on a EV (electirc vehicle).Since the motor doesnt idle, it will just match the speed of the wheels by way of the syncros. However, this also drastically shortens their life aswell. Sorry for the EV fact, but we should be buidling one soon, and I'm quite familarized with them at the moment :) .
Stock 1995 RS - Creek Blue
Car Meanins:
Honda: Hang On, Not Done Accelerating
FORD: Frequently Overhauled, Rarely Driven
Mazda: Must Always Zoom Down Asphalt
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

On my old Sentra, sometimes you could shift like that if you hit the next gear just right while the RPM's were falling, but I never made a habit out of it. I wouldn't try it on the Mazda at all considering how touchy our tranny syncros are.
fry_81

Post by fry_81 »

your welcome to not use the clutch pedal....that is of course if you also dont mind buying a new transmission very soon lol. Just stick to the regular method, just think with all the money you can now save from not buying or repairing trannies, you can buy plenty of goodies for your mx3 lol.
1994 5spd GS Parts Car For Sale 800obo. e-mail for details. fry_81@hotmail.com
Redlined

Post by Redlined »

what are you guys talking about man I have been driving for the longest time you can match the engines rpms and shift without the clutch easily. just as you let off the gas haul it out of gear into neutral and giving it another shot of gas and as the rpms level peaks and starts to drop pull the shifter into gear. you will not grind nor wear out your transmission. Sorry if you guys havent heard of this but I have driven my volkswagon without the clutch for 2 years and I never use it only to start off and I have done so in my mx many times. You cannot however shift quickly but it does not hurt your transmission if done properly because you do not grind.
RoundTop

Post by RoundTop »

For Mr. 6month driving standard.... USE THE CLUTCH!

Also, if you are trying to shift with any speed you need to use it.

You will find you don't need to use it much at a higher gear (and you can let up faster), but you still need it.
Redlined

Post by Redlined »

I am not recommending not using a clutch now I am just saying if done properly it will not hurt your car but yes use the clutch I do so in my car unless sometimes I just want to go without it. It doesnt hurt the car guys sorry to tell you. But use it go mad
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

It doesnt gring at all and shifts perfectly BUT you guys are the experts and yeah I been driving for 6 months amazangly over 100 k miles o.0 work was 60 miles from home every day..anywho thanks for ur input. Il stick to using the clutch. One thing to note..its not supposed to grind on the upper gears..thats a sign of syncros going. I can tell u think because i ha a manual maxima that would grind..after i replaced its tranny it would float nicely BUT dont get me wrong..Ill use the clutch :D by the way the tranny in the maxima blew because well i bought it defective so :D I jst wanted to know if it wears the syncros out faster. Thanks for ur valuable input. I look foprward into many miles in my mx3 :D
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”