question about axles

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
rrances

question about axles

Post by rrances »

Yes, I searched but if I found the answer I didn't understand it.<P>Disclaimer: I am only starting to learn about suspensions in general.<P>I think I understand the purpose of the front axles (half shafts?). I may be getting them replaced this week (original, over 170K miles and clicking like crazy)<P>The mechanic had mentioned that there were no rear axles to replace on my MX3 because it is front-wheel drive. <P>I looked at the on-line shop manual. On page M-11 there is listed a rear axle.<P>I won't be able to talk to that mechanic until later in the week and I would like to go back with some sort of basic understanding of this. There obviously is a rear axle. <P>Anybody give me a simple explanation on the purpose of the rear axle and in what circumstance it would be replaced?<P>Thanks in advance.<p>[ October 15, 2002: Message edited by: emex three jr. ]
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Re: question about axles

Post by cjthor »

The rear axle is called an I beam. It is used to hold the spindles and brakes. The only time it would need to be replaced is if somehow you crashed and bent it. That help? If you need more info let me know.
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
rrances

Post by rrances »

Jarid,<P>You da the man!<P>That explained things perfectly for me. I appreciate it!
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by emex three jr.:<BR><STRONG>Jarid,<P>You da the man!<P>That explained things perfectly for me. I appreciate it!</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR> U got it man..Just keep an eye on the rubber bushings that connect the spindle to the arms and such..They can get weathered and crack. I think that Corksport sells replacement poly bushings but I can be mistaken.
Jarid Perry
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

Actually, I-beams were only used on early Ford Rangers, F-150's, F-250's, and several other Ford vehicles. They were called that because they resembled beams in the shape of an I. ;)
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

Oh yea...isnt it mono beam?
Jarid Perry
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)

Post by Guest »

you should also watch out for the boots condition(i think thats what they are called) mine was torn and water got in the axle shaft and my right side axle rod is worn so my car is pretty shitty ride right now" :(
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sureshiit:<BR><STRONG>you should also watch out for the boots condition(i think thats what they are called) mine was torn and water got in the axle shaft and my right side axle rod is worn so my car is pretty shitty ride right now" :(</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR> There aren't any boots on the rear axle bro. ;)
Jarid Perry
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”