ZX/2 Struts: few questions

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
serggio99

ZX/2 Struts: few questions

Post by serggio99 »

I'm planning on buying these struts within next week. I guess fordoemparts.com is the best place to get them. I have a couple of questions:<P>1. Do i need to replace just the front 2 or all 4 struts?<P>2. When i call the company, do i simply ask for ford zx/2 struts?<P>3. Is it hard to put these struts on? is there "special installation" where it may be difficult for a car shop to put on?<P>4. how much is the Labor estimated to be? I just don't wanna get ripped off. <P>(btw, ProtegeSTS, if u know someone who can do this for me plz msg me privately so we can talk over the phone)
Mazda 0wnz j00!
David Coleman

Re: ZX/2 Struts: few questions

Post by David Coleman »

Jesse's out of town for nationals. He should be back in a week or so. Might want to ask him in person then, though it has been posted in detail in this forum on more than one occasion.
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
serggio99

Post by serggio99 »

Hey Dave, I saw ur car at the car show this past thursday, but i couldn't find you (hehe remember the kid with the gas powered RC car? that was hella c00l!). I actually wanted to ask you this in person, but if you can help, that would be nice.
Mazda 0wnz j00!
J.W. MX-3 GS

Post by J.W. MX-3 GS »

here's some answers for you <P>1. if have to replace one, you'll probly have to replace all 4. Plus with all 4, it will make the car balance out<BR>2.yes, you need front and rear struts, plus the zx2 upper thrust bearing for the front 2 sturts (11.95 canadian.)These bearings help the strut twist when you turn the wheel<BR>3. its not hard to put them on, but you'll need a spring compressor. you'll also have to modify the upper spring retainer so the new bearing fits in. (its slightly wider0. heres a website the describs the proceedure. <A HREF="http://www.automediazone.com/pro/ZX2_strut_install.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.automediazone.com/pro/ZX2_st ... all.htm</A> <BR>4. do it yourself and save a few hundred dollars. it sould only take a few hours once you get the hang of it,and its pretty easy. This is also a good time to install lowering springs or coilovers because you going to have it all apart anyway.<BR>hope it helps.
tk1138

Post by tk1138 »

The hardest part is compressing the front springs enough to remove them. Be patient w/ the dremel and you'll get good results. If you order from southwest ford, ask for terrisa right away, there was a guy I talked to who didn't know much.... <BR>It's a little more than 200$ for the struts & bearings. Order boots now if they need replacing. If you're going to replace your springs anytime soon, then replace them now, as compressing the front springs is a pain.
tk1138<P>There's not really anything I want to say over and over.
serggio99

Post by serggio99 »

Um...did you mention "dremel" :eek:? i wanted a mechanic shop to do the work for me. is this possible or are these struts gonna give me probs. I wish ProtegeSTS would reply to my earlier questions...
Mazda 0wnz j00!
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PeaNuts:<BR><STRONG>Um...did you mention "dremel" :eek:? i wanted a mechanic shop to do the work for me. is this possible or are these struts gonna give me probs. I wish ProtegeSTS would reply to my earlier questions...</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Jesse's out of town for nationals. He should be back in a week or so.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I think he'll be back Monday maybe?
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
tk1138

Post by tk1138 »

Yes, 'dremel'. Check the instal page referenced to earlier. You could probably get a machine shop to do it for a little money. It took me 3 hrs (of dremeling), but I go slow and check a lot. This is the most invloved mod I've done and it wasn't too bad. You can probably do it yourself, but if you go to a shop it'll be kind of expensive. look at the other posts for numbers quoted there, or call the shop you're thinking about having it done at. <BR>These shocks are stiffer than stock, so you should get stiffer/lowering springs now, if you think you're going to at all. With stock springs it's a little stiff, but MUCH better than a blown strut and broken mount! <P>good luck
millionflame

Post by millionflame »

Is it NOT advisable to use these ZX2 struts with stock springs??? What will happen if i do???<P>Thanks.<BR>~A
~ Millionflame (94 GS 120K)
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PeaNuts:<BR><STRONG>Um...did you mention "dremel" ;) id help too, but broken hands dont lend themselves to turning wrenches.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
Mradio

Post by Mradio »

Hey man, if you were around philly somewhere I'd definately do it for you, iam low on cash right now, it took me 3.5 hours to do it last time (with all the necessary mods). Ask around, its an easy job, so someone with all the tools and some experience will be able to do it.<BR>good luck
Check out my ride and leave some feedback please!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mradio007
tk1138

Post by tk1138 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Aiden:<BR><STRONG>Is it NOT advisable to use these ZX2 struts with stock springs??? What will happen if i do???<P>Thanks.<BR>~A</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>The main reson not to use these w/ stock springs is because they are too stiff for the springs. You won't hurt anything using them that you wouldn't hurt if you were using stock struts.<BR>I chose these struts because: I had a broken strut, and they're insanly inexpensive, while still being of acceptable quality. My ride is somewhat harder, but still acceptable. <P>If it's not broken & you're not lowering it, don't 'fix' it.
Mradio

Post by Mradio »

tk1138, what springs you used with those struts?
Check out my ride and leave some feedback please!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mradio007
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tk1138:<BR><STRONG><BR>The main reson not to use these w/ stock springs is because they are too stiff for the springs. You won't hurt anything using them that you wouldn't hurt if you were using stock struts.<BR>I chose these struts because: I had a broken strut, and they're insanly inexpensive, while still being of acceptable quality. My ride is somewhat harder, but still acceptable. <P>If it's not broken & you're not lowering it, don't 'fix' it.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>]<P><BR>too stiff is relative... the stock dampeners are underdamped...the ZX2s are probably slightly too stiff.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”