C.V. Joints

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
tyson

C.V. Joints

Post by tyson »

Hey Guys, Girls<P>Just a quick question. I am pretty sure that I need a new C.V. joint on the passenger side of the car. Every time I let out the clutch I hear a clunk and every time I am turning sharply at low speeds there is a ticking noise. Anyway my question is how hard and how much time would it take to change yourself? Also How much does it cost for new C.V. joints. If anyone has any input on this it would be greatly appreciated.<BR>Tyson :)
Q187

Re: C.V. Joints

Post by Q187 »

I'm in the process of doing the same thing. DO NOT GO TO THE MAZDA DEALER! I went there a while back to get some and the ones they gave me had the wrong number of spines! I had the whole suspension taken apart before I realised it! Also they were about $400 from the dealer....for both of them.<P>I just went to Autozone yesterday. Both of them were $260. But when I take my old ones back, I got a core charge of $120! So they only come out to about 140 for both of them. I believe the left one was about $10 more than the right one. You shouldn't have trouble installing them if you have the right kind.<P>Good luck.
93 mx-3 gs/se

Post by 93 mx-3 gs/se »

Yep that is the CV joint going bad.<P>Do you guys know if there is a difference between the auto and manual when it comes to the cv joints.
5spd_GS

Post by 5spd_GS »

yep i too need a new passanger side C.V...<P>im in canada, how much will it cost me to pick up a new one, and how much labour will i be lookin at ???
Calen Sansom
1994 MX-3 GS Sparkle Green
MrsOzx

Post by MrsOzx »

I had mine replaced a while back.. They wouldn't just do one, they said they had to do them both... BUT they sold them at 89.00 a piece! RETARDED...I Know... But I went to Napa and picked up the parts and took them my old ones when they replaced them. It was alot cheeper than the dealership cost. (anywhere from 600-800) Which is redicilous! Plus I paid 100 for labor. Not too bad. But I herd that it is a pain in the you know what to do them yourself so I didn't bother. [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
MrsOzx<p>buh-bye........
Giavonni Perelli
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

i also had to get new drive shafts, i have since bought and replaced them four times, every time i used the auto zone rebuilt ones. i think that they are of lesser quality because of the number that i have replaced, but the labor was not too difficult or time consuming using my Chilton's Shop Manual.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

p.s. if you do the work yourself be VERY careful not to mess up the splines on the shaft or tranny. line them up carefully and use a rubber mallet if needed to help them into the transmission.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”