Got my gearbox for bpt, need a little help.

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
Franko
Supporting Member

Got my gearbox for bpt, need a little help.

Post by Franko »

Ok so I bought a gearbox out of a 95 protoege.. It fits perfect.. everthing lines up and the clutch fits too.. now the question I have is where the speedo cable goes into the tranny it is electrical on this gearbox and it is cable driven in my 93 mx.. I am pretty sure that it still goes right in but I just wanted to know if anyone else had problems with this.. it dosent look like it could be too much of a problem though..

Also where the shifter linkage connects to the transmission there is like a little cylander that a bolt goes through to hold them togethor.. on the mx I believe that the cyl is horozontal and on this gearbox it is vertical.. I cant see it being too much of a problem but all the same...

<small>[ February 06, 2004, 08:51 AM: Message edited by: Franko ]</small>
93 MX3, BP, Haltech E6X, Bully Six Puck Clutch, Pauter Rods, Wiseco Pistons, Port and Polish, Turbonetics T3/T4 Ball Bearing turbo and a partridge in a pear tree.
Franko
Supporting Member

Re: Got my gearbox for bpt, need a little help.

Post by Franko »

Come on guys..... Someone has to know....
93 MX3, BP, Haltech E6X, Bully Six Puck Clutch, Pauter Rods, Wiseco Pistons, Port and Polish, Turbonetics T3/T4 Ball Bearing turbo and a partridge in a pear tree.
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

You made it difficult for yourself when you bought a gearbox from a 95 Protege.

Since you have a 93 Mx, the gearbox from the 90-94 Protege should have been your choice. The speedo housing was cable driven to for the Protege.
Franko
Supporting Member

Post by Franko »

Well I talked to a few people at corksport and mazda and they said that I can use this gearbox no problem...

Why wouldent it work.. cant you just take out the electric sensor and replace it with the end of the cable one.. I believe the way they go into the transmission is the same..
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

compare the length of the two speedo gears...i believe they are different. i know the 94 dohc mx3 is diff from the 90-94 pro lx.
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

Originally posted by Franko:
Well I talked to a few people at corksport and mazda and they said that I can use this gearbox no problem...

Why wouldent it work.. cant you just take out the electric sensor and replace it with the end of the cable one.. I believe the way they go into the transmission is the same..
Depends who you talked to at Corksport...

It may work, it may not. The cable driven speedo is entirely different from the electric gears. It's possible to convert cable driven to electronic driven speedo's, but you'll have to try it honestly.
morenc00

Post by morenc00 »

tu be sure you drive will fit measure the lenght that goes inside the trans, they must be the same, measure the gear diameter and number of teeth again they must be the same.

if everything is the same they will fit.
michel
323 gtx
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

You may be able to swap in the electric speedo sending unit from a V6 MX-3 to get it to work with the 95 Protege gear. However you'll probably have to swap the V6's entire gauge cluster as well, unless you try the APEXi Rev/Speed meter or a Autometer electronic speedo. As for the shifter extention rod you could have someone at a machine shop do some cutting fabricating and welding to solve that problem. I can't be more specific with out physicaly examining it my self. It can be MADE to work! :welder:

<small>[ February 11, 2004, 09:38 AM: Message edited by: JWMotorsports ]</small>
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!

Return to “Forced Induction”