exahaust sounds

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
94mx3rsr

Re: exahaust sounds

Post by 94mx3rsr »

I presently have a vibrant dragger style stainless muffler with a restricting resonator & a free flow catalyzer, my line s all 2'1/4 so its more than enough....my car is a 4-cyl dohc, it has a really deep roar to it at low rpm, when you rev it up, you can really here it though! No bumblebee sound.......i used to have no resonator but the sound it made was tooooo loud! It sounded more like a race car than anything else, i got sick of it and put a nice restricting resonator to cut the sound.....my catalayzer had deepened the sound by a lot and the resonator seemed to balance it out, now it sounds great......if you have the O.E. resonator, keep it and i recomend the free-flow cat, it makes the car sound much better!
Jean-Michel Basque
STOCK BPT @ 8.5PSI
3 RUNS ON THE 1/4 = 14.85 @ 96
xeffex

Post by xeffex »

I also have a Hayame muffler. I have been very impressed, along with all the others that have heard it : ) I went with the 2.5 inch piping but I am thinking of switching to 2.25 inch. I pretty much agree with what Mason had to say and have had similar experiences.<P>Jordan
Jordan<BR>1994 White RS
heatherc

Post by heatherc »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rick DeBie:<BR><B>OK, I finnaly got my new exhaust in. Once again, it's a Thermal R&D Universal model# 81824DS, Borla tips (DUAL SQUARE ANGLE-CUT INTERCOOLED #20233) and 2.25" stainless going to the OE resonator. I am very happy with it, performance wise, strange as this may be, I can feel it pulling harder than it did previously when I was missing the pipe from the resonator to the OE muffler. I would have thought having nothing after the resonator would be better than having even the least restrictive of mufflers. Maybe it's just my perception. Anyway sound is great, from in the cabin, the car is much quieter than it had been wih no muffler obviously, but when your gunning through the gears you hear it pretty well. Its a low breathy grumble. Very tollerable volume wise. From the outside, it seems louder, meaner, less breathy, more of a low roar. Lastly it looks real nice. Image Thats my review of my new system. definitely 2 thumbs up.<P>Rick <P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Rick----<BR>So is this something I should invest in? I am still looking for my new exhaust and I would like to get it soon. I'm just not sure about where to get it and how much it costs. Who will install this for me? And lastly, will my neighbors hate me?<P>hgcmx3
-----------------------------------<BR>_/*\_ ¸.·¤**¤·.,¸,.·¤**¤·.<BR>\ M׳/¸.·¤**¤ müÇh LØVê †Ø M¥ m×鮊<BR>/.·*·.\¸.·¤**¤·.,¸,.·¤**¤<BR>-----------------------------------
Spetznaz

Post by Spetznaz »

I've Had the PaceSetter 2.25" exhaust on my 93 GS for about a year now. It has a low grumble from the outside, but you can barely hear it on the inside unless you really step on the "loud" pedal. I went for it for the relatively cheap cost. ($280 Can.) The only prob I found was the hangers on the muffler have to be slightly bent to work properly. I plan on upgrading very soon, but if money is a factor, give it a try. I'm looking for a loud, deep exhaust note, anybody have any suggestions ???
Suspension Techniques lowering kit, front and rear strut braces, Ractive cold air intake, 16" wheels with 215/40's, full cat back custom Tanabe Racing Medallion exhaust. Custom Competion stereo, full interior purple neon lighting.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”