I'm lost

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
tiburon

I'm lost

Post by tiburon »

The Mx wont start. I've checked the wiring several times and even replaced the ignition trying to get it to start but I still just get a sputter then nothing. My haltech dealer sent me maps for a miata because its all he had for the BP motor. Figuring that it was fine to get me started, I made the changes to suit my set up but I can't for the life of me get it to fire more then a few times. Dose anyone have any ideas what it could be? I tryed turning injection time down to suit the bigger injectors I have, but it didnt help. I'm switched to a MSD 6A ignition to solve my spark problem and the 450cc TSi injectors are on their way but not intstalled yet. Any help or sugestions on what it could be would be wonderfull. :sadwavey:

<small>[ October 09, 2003, 12:12 AM: Message edited by: RiceRocket666 ]</small>
OsoSlo z28

Re: I'm lost

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

ok, did you take off your cam gears at any time? also, send me your map and i'll see if that's it.

as far as wiring, are you sure you have your home and trigger input going to the right wires? made sure you have the correct firing order? are you sure you have fuel? have you checked for spark in all cylinders?

<small>[ October 09, 2003, 09:19 AM: Message edited by: cre8v mx3 ]</small>
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

The dreaded start up Ashley.. :D

Yeah, I was having all sorts of problems when trying to start mine. Probably the reason my bearings failed.

Double check timing belt and wiring to the disty and MSD. Check that your rotor phasing is not off either. Go to the engine data display on the labtop...does it read an rpm on the screen, say 160rpm?
tiburon

Post by tiburon »

Cre8v: I have fuel and spark on all cylinders and my firing order is correct(that was the first thing I tryed). As for the triggers, I wired it per Adam Christopher's instructions for the EGT disty.

Jaydog: I'll check the timing belt just in case. I havent the slightest idea what "rotor phasing" is... But the RPM thing concerns me, I get a flat 60rpm reading. It didn't seen to concern the people on the haltech board to much so I didn't think to much of it. Could this be the root of all my problems?
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

you should have more rpm than that. how did you check to make sure you have spark in all cylinders?

rotor phasing is in regards to the rotor on the disty. put the motor at TDC, and make sure that the rotor button is sitting on or as close as you can to the #1 cylinder ignition point. the problem is that the rotor button can be put on 3 different ways.

reason i asked about whether or not you have taken the cam gears off, is because it's been known to happen that the gears are put back on wrong. it's a simple mistake.
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
tiburon

Post by tiburon »

I checked for spark by pulling each plug out and holding it up to the head for ground then bumping it over and seeing if the plug sparks.

The rotor is in the correct place, I checked that multiple times too. As for the cam gears, I've never taken them off but I did change the timeing belt. I'll take the cover off and see if the timing marks are still lined up right. Keep the sugestions comming guys :2thumbsup:
tiburon

Post by tiburon »

whoa progress!!! had a bad disty plug. Once the motor started shaking the connection for "tirgger", broke(thats my gues anyway) it has been replaced. Its firing in all cylendrs and wants to start but I think its firing on the down stroke so adjusting the timing with the distributer should take care if it... now I just need some diveable maps for the 450cc injectors and I'll be off to the dyno :D
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

Okay, still won't start. On the engine data page, does it say RECONNECT HALTECH when cranking? If so than the switched voltage wire is hooked up wrong. Are you still only seeing 60rpm when cranking? Let us know.
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

Are you sure that you hooked up the Ground wire from the Haltech ECU??

Double check that too...

:p
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
tiburon

Post by tiburon »

The switched wire is hooked to a toggle switch hooked to the battery and the ground is hooked up.
I think the new plug fixed the problem. I'm getting a RPM reading at about 240 but the battery was dead from my previous atempts and I had to go to work so I'll try tomarrow and give an update.
tiburon

Post by tiburon »

ok new problemo. Its firing and wants to start but stops when I let off the starter. My guess is that its very lean, which is the opisite of what I expected. Anyone have decent start-up maps for 320cc or 450cc injectors? I dont want anyone's dyno tunes, just something to get the motor started.

Update: It's alive!!! but still running very lean... I enriched the maps to get to running but man dose it run bad, so if anyone has better fuel maps I could still use them. Thanks

Tiburon6@tampabay.rr.com

<small>[ October 11, 2003, 05:27 PM: Message edited by: RiceRocket666 ]</small>

Return to “Forced Induction”