Project turbo begins

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
UnkleDuke

Re: Project turbo begins

Post by UnkleDuke »

Okay, I've not done ALL the research, but a bigger pump and injectors seems like a good idea if you're increasing the air charge.<p>I found a boost referenced fuel rugulator by MSD that might help. Trying to get info from these guys, but nothing yet.<p>As for BOV...Plumb the blow off back into the intake...Apparently you still get the "cool" noise during shifting, but more important you have no drop in flow so you get less surge.<p>Let me know how it goes....
Cheers
No Sig
UnkleDuke

Post by UnkleDuke »

Turns out I haven't done the amont of research I'd thought.
Check the rods and pistons discussion in the forced induction forum.
I considered turboing because I was under the impression that the rods, bolts, pistons, etc. were beefed enough to handle it, but hadn't taken my mileage into consideration.
No Sig
UnkleDuke

Post by UnkleDuke »

Damn right...
I graduated a little over a year ago, and I just finished my second week of my first official career job.
Christ I'm behind...<p>Good Luck...What are you taking?
No Sig
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by mx-k:
Hey guys, well I just started getting all the parts together to start my turbo project (which will really start after i replace my head gasket and cv joint). Anyways so far I have got a b6t turbo manifold and '97 eclipse intercooler off ebay, and I will be getting (hopefully) a vj-11 turbo off an mx-6. What I really need to know is how crucial is upgrading the fuel delivery system if i only initially want to run 4-5psi of boost? If I do need to upgrade would a 2nd gen rx7 fuel pump and pro lx injectors be sufficient? Also I wanted to know if a bov is really nessecary, as I dont think mx-6's have them, so would it be that important to put one on at this stage? I have done alot of research on this board for most of these topics but there is alot of debate and discrepancies about the fuel delivery and I want to be sure before I mess anything up cuz I ain't got alot of money to blow away.<hr></blockquote><p>
Fuel Delivery: 5-6PSI should be fine on stock pump and injectors. Get an EGT (exhaust gas temperature) gauge. This will tell you if you are running lean. If so, upgrade the fuel delivery.<p>BOV: They are not required, but HIGHLY recomended. The reason for the BOV is not just for the kewl swoosh sound. When the TB butterfly closes, it obviously stops the air from flowing into the manifold. Imagine what happens when this air hits this wall. Imagine a wave in a water basin. When the wave hits the wall, it bounces back. This is what the air will do also. It will bounce back and basically slam into the turbo which is still spinning forward at a high rate of speed. This shock or 'surge' will try and force the compressor to run backwards. Now the inertia and exhaust blowing on the turbine hasn't stopped, so it basically tries to twist the shaft. This puts great pressure on the bearings, and will cause failure after so long. (exhibit A: my truck) Most stock cars don't have BOV's because they don't run high boost pressures. Still, it's a damn good thing to have. <p>Head Gasket: I know your original plans called for a regular old stock head gasket. You may want to look into a performance gasket. Tell the place you're buying it from that you plan to run a turbo with 5-6psi and get their opinion. This will save you lots of money down the road.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage

Return to “Forced Induction”