A few questions...

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
Timmyd865

A few questions...

Post by Timmyd865 »

Ok, so here's a few things... Where does the BOV plug into? Where's the place for the hose coming out of the BOV to plug into? Does that go after the throttle plate or sumthing? Second, if the intercooler has larger inlet and outlet piping then the turbo outlet, does that matter much? I'm sure there will be a pressure drop... but won't that come back at the end of the intercooler? Also, the pipe going to the throttle body is 2 and a half inches, if the compressor outlet is only 2 inches.. would that be bad? Cause, sure i'd hafta run at higher rpm, therefore causing more heat, but the intercooler should rid of that... But i had a mitsu stock intercooler for 40 bux.. and I was hoping that'd work well if i'm running a t-25 at 7 psi. I was hoping that it wouldn't be a bad set up. I wanna be safe, and if that's the case should, should i getta bigger intercooler... or a bigger turbocharger? OR BOTH :( I don't have much money, so whatshould i do... which would make more difference.. a bigger turbo or better intercooler? Thanx guys!
16" Sport Edition Fox 2's, Yokohama H4's, Eclipse CD player, Eclipse components, MTX amp, Lightning Audio woofers in a custom fiber glass enclosure, custom intake, factory spoiler installed, reverse indiglo gauges, custom switch panel<p> :) www.geocities.com/timsmx3
David Coleman

Re: A few questions...

Post by David Coleman »

www.howstuffworks.com
and<p>buy "Maximum Boost" by corky bell, unless you want to set you car on fire now and throw it all away.
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
Timmyd865

Post by Timmyd865 »

i've read MB, and I don't quite get how the TB is 2.5 inches and the outlet of most turbo's is only 2.. wouldn't that mean there's a pressure drop? And... how stuff works doesn't tell me where the BOV plugs into on an MX-3's throttle body. But thanx... anyhow.. any one else?
16" Sport Edition Fox 2's, Yokohama H4's, Eclipse CD player, Eclipse components, MTX amp, Lightning Audio woofers in a custom fiber glass enclosure, custom intake, factory spoiler installed, reverse indiglo gauges, custom switch panel<p> :) www.geocities.com/timsmx3
mazda20

Post by mazda20 »

Have you seen my how to on the bolt on turbo?
94 Mazda MX-3 BPT Custom Intake/Exhaust T3/T4, 51mm BOV, Tial WG, 2.5" Piping, 880cc Inj, Godspeed Intercooler, TEC II
My MX-3 Website
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by David Coleman:

buy "Maximum Boost" by corky bell, unless you want to set you car on fire now and throw it all away.
<hr></blockquote><p>i have that book and i STILL caught my car on fire :D
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by cre8v mx3:
<p>i have that book and i STILL caught my car on fire :D <hr></blockquote><p>Hey man, don't go blaming stuff on Corky, he know's what he's talking about man. :p
pelado

Post by pelado »

It seems to me there's a few people recommending that others read "Maximum Boost" when they should give it a good read themselves.<p>Only place I see BOV's alluded to in Max Boost is p.142 where he mentions vent valves. Oh yeah, he also sort of mentions them on p.105-106 where he discusses anti-surge valves, but this is in the CARBURETION chapter and they're used to relieve float bowl pressure. I also have the Hugh MacInnes book, "Turbochargers", and it only mentions BOV's as a means of enriching the mixture. Both books state that it's an inferior means of controlling boost compared to a wastegate and say nothing about using a BOV to lengthen turbo life.
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
The_Great_Tonge

Post by The_Great_Tonge »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by pelado:
It seems to me there's a few people recommending that others read "Maximum Boost" when they should give it a good read themselves.<p>Only place I see BOV's alluded to in Max Boost is p.142 where he mentions vent valves. Oh yeah, he also sort of mentions them on p.105-106 where he discusses anti-surge valves, but this is in the CARBURETION chapter and they're used to relieve float bowl pressure. I also have the Hugh MacInnes book, "Turbochargers", and it only mentions BOV's as a means of enriching the mixture. Both books state that it's an inferior means of controlling boost compared to a wastegate and say nothing about using a BOV to lengthen turbo life.<hr></blockquote><p>HEAR HEAR!! :D
mazdamaniac

Post by mazdamaniac »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by The_Great_Tonge:
<p>HEAR HEAR!! :D <hr></blockquote><p>
No, READ READ !<p>Pages 20 and 21.
:roll:
atila

Post by atila »

Hey guys the bov his ib between the turbo and tb it's there to releive pressure surge when you let go the gaz pedal. You plug the vaccum hose on the intake manifold after the tb so that when the tb close the vaccum augment and the bov open. It's there to prevent an overboost situation in the the intake tube that would cause in the worst case the turbo to turn in the other since has the pressure in the intake would be higher then the one in the exhaust. That own it's preserve your turbo from damage. On car with an airflow meter you "should" return the air that the bov let's out between the airflow meter and the turbo intake so that the airflow meter sends the right data to the ecu.
pelado

Post by pelado »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by mazdamaniac:
<p>
No, READ READ !<p>Pages 20 and 21.
:roll:
<hr></blockquote><p>Yeah, once again he's referring to compressor surge. Never referred to as BOV's. One lousy paragraph. No pics, diagrams, nothing.<p>I rolled my eyes a lot after reading that!! Big whup!
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

CSV = BOV for all intents and purposes.
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

Do this:<p>The BOV is between the turbo and the throttle body (after the intercooler). The outlet from the BOV will be routed back to the intake stream beefore the turbo, but after the MAF/VAF. If you put it before the MAF/VAF your computer will read the air twice and give twice as much fuel for that ammount of air. <p>Also read this http://www.overboost.com/story.asp?id=101<p>[ March 13, 2003: Message edited by: VizualXTC ]</p>
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage

Post by Guest »

ok looks like the question has been answered so igot another one. What is the difference between a turbo charger and a super charger. My take on it is that the super charger works off the drive train, were as the turbo works off the exhaust, just a guess?
Timmyd865

Post by Timmyd865 »

Umm yeah... that's a pretty basic question.. but yeah.. A super charger will run off a belt system hooked straight up to the engine. The faster the engine, the faster the supercharger is spinning. A turbocharger runs off the exahust gas. It goes through a turbine which is connected to a compressor wheel. That compresses air the same way the supercharger does, only does it free of the engines force. It does it with exahsut gas which is moving anyway, instead of stealing the engines power to push it. But does any one have a PICTURE of where the blow off valve's connection go to? I konw about where the BOV goes and where it goes into, but i don't know where the lines go to. Like exactly. I wanna see sumone's pics of the lines hooked up to the intake manifold, so i know where you guys have done it. Thanx!

Return to “Forced Induction”