HP and Tuning Questions for Turbo Setup

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
osargeant

HP and Tuning Questions for Turbo Setup

Post by osargeant »

I have recently turbocharged my 1994 Mazda MX3 1.6 DOHC with the following mods.<p>- 323 GTX Manifold and Turbo
- 1.8 Miata Injectors
- Walbro 255 Fuel Pump
- 2.25" custom downpipe
- 2.25" exhaust (no cat)
- Vortech FMU (8:1 disc)
- GTX Intercooler front mounted with custom IC piping
- TurboXS Type S Blow Off Valve
- Autometer Boost, Air/Fuel and Oil Pressure Gauges
- Apexi Turbo Timer
- Denso Iridium IK20 Spark Plugs
- NGK Blue Plug Wires
- Unorthodox Racing Lightened Pulley<p>How much HP and torque do I approximately have? <p>Also what can I do in terms of tuning or additional mods to improve the performance of the vehicle. <p>I mean the car is much faster than before but I need some tuning advice.
JSpec Turbo MX3 (1.6 DOHC)
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/310985

Port and Polished Head, Ported Intake Manifold, Valve Job, GTX Manifold, Hybrid Turbo, Cone Filter, 2.5" Exhaust, 2.5" Downpipe, ACT Street Clutch, Lightened Flywheel, MSD 6A Ignition, Boost Retard and SS Coil, Magnecor Plug Wires, Denso Iridium Plugs, UR Lightened Pulley, Spearco FMIC, Turbo XS BOV & MBC, BEGI RRFPR, Supra Injectors, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump, Autometer Gauges, Pivot Shift Light
VizualXTC

Re: HP and Tuning Questions for Turbo Setup

Post by VizualXTC »

The only way to figure out your HP is to take it to a dyno. There are so many variables to even make a guess. Tuning would be best while on the dyno so that you can get optimal performance.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

Between 100 and 400hp I'd say.
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
992mmx3

Post by 992mmx3 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by David Coleman:
Between 100 and 400hp I'd say.<hr></blockquote><p> :D
-Mark Lathrop
1992 MX-3 RS-T
B6T with some goodies

"...I told those fudgepackers I liked Michael Bolton's music..."
osargeant

Post by osargeant »

Well here is my main problem, I am located in Barbados in the Caribbean. There are no dynos here on the island so I cant get actual horsepower or torque figures for my vehicle.<p>That is the main reason i was asking for specific tuning advice. Right now all I know is that the car is much much faster than before.

Port and Polished Head, Ported Intake Manifold, Valve Job, GTX Manifold, Hybrid Turbo, Cone Filter, 2.5" Exhaust, 2.5" Downpipe, ACT Street Clutch, Lightened Flywheel, MSD 6A Ignition, Boost Retard and SS Coil, Magnecor Plug Wires, Denso Iridium Plugs, UR Lightened Pulley, Spearco FMIC, Turbo XS BOV & MBC, BEGI RRFPR, Supra Injectors, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump, Autometer Gauges, Pivot Shift Light
992mmx3

Post by 992mmx3 »

d'oh, that sucks, can you take it on a ferry somewhere?
-Mark Lathrop
1992 MX-3 RS-T
B6T with some goodies

"...I told those fudgepackers I liked Michael Bolton's music..."
jonathanj

Post by jonathanj »

well i would say about 170 hp and 180 ft. but it also depends on the motor (how much wear and tear is on it), your fuel, and how well your intercooler piping flows. im pushing 195.2 whp and 199.5 lbs of torque. im running 3 inch exhaust (with no cat), an apex safc, 7 psi, act clutch, 330 cc injectors (soon to be 450 cc
), walboro 255 pump, apexi front mount, and the underdrive crank. as for plugs i would use just regular ngk's and get them one step colder.
osargeant

Post by osargeant »

Thanks for the feedback so far guys,<p>I am trying to borrow a GTech Pro speed device from a friend to measure some 1/4 mile times to get an idea of how the vehicle is really performing. <p>My main problem now is the clutch, I am still using the stock clutch which is slipping and I am waiting on an ACT performance clutch to arrive.<p>Will keep you guys posted. I will also try to have some pics of the setup available as soon as possible.

The_Great_Tonge

Post by The_Great_Tonge »

hey mx3dohc16 are you visiting miami, if os we should link up. also do you have a cousin named karl, kerri or kurt? if so thats gonna be some funy stuff....

Return to “Forced Induction”