intercooler with out a turbo or a super....

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
antwawn

intercooler with out a turbo or a super....

Post by antwawn »

ive decided to post this in the forcedinduction section..anyway....i have a friend who just put an intcooler on his car yet he has no type of forced induction(turbo etc..)...i told him that it would not do anything...was i right or wrong because he swears he can feel the differnce??? :roll:
TedLeeper

Re: intercooler with out a turbo or a super....

Post by TedLeeper »

what the hell is it cooling?! yes you are corect sir your friend dosn't know what he's talking about. and neither do I! what does he think he's cooling. an inercooler cools down exaust on a turbo before spiting back into the engine! i bet your friend drives a honda, damn honda kids! :mad:
Hmm. what to do now..
....maybe a VTEC for lunch.
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ted:<BR><STRONG>what the hell is it cooling?! yes you are corect sir your friend dosn't know what he's talking about. and neither do I! what does he think he's cooling. an inercooler cools down exaust on a turbo before spiting back into the engine! i bet your friend drives a honda, damn honda kids! :mad:</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P> Well then what would an intercooler on a supercharger cool off?? DUH!!! The air that is entering it! You might possibly see some differences but I think it is minimal.
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

a friend of mine has a starion intercooler on his n/a prelude and what he did was route his intake to the intercooler then to the manifold...what it does is that it cools down intake air a LOT before being shot through to the engine. think of it as a 'functional' cold-air intake. he dynoed and has a proven 8hp increase. dont say it cant be done. you wouldnt know unless you tried it first.
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ted:<BR><STRONG>an inercooler cools down exaust on a turbo before spiting back into the engine</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>an i/c has no effect on the exhaust gases and the exhaust gases are not put back into the engine. <P>after re-reading this while i'm awake, i have to change my answer. like it's been said, there isn't enough velocity of the air intake to make it all the way through that length of pipe. it would choke off the engine. even if it did make it, there's no way it could create any amount of pressure to use the i/c effectively. the ONLY way i could justify ANY improvement would be to use a VERY small liquid intercooler with the shortest amount of piping possible. but there again, there would hardly be an improvement, if any. so in all....it's a waste of money.<p>[ September 12, 2002: Message edited by: cre8v mx3 ]
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
antwawn

Post by antwawn »

hmmm thanx guys..i guess i was wrong...again lol. hmmm time to buy an intercollor :D lol
antwawn

Post by antwawn »

yeah i figures ..that since u dont have a huge mass of air gong through it like u would if u had a turbo or SC then it wont work ..or will be soo little that u wont notice..ill let him know what i found out
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

personally I would denounce all possibility of it helping performance. Especially to 8whp. I hate to do it but Imma have to raise the bulls--- flag. Image You'd loose too much pressure goin thru the i/c. The engine would have to actually suck harder durring the intake stroke, reducing power, to get enuff air thru the i/c into the chamber.<p>[ September 11, 2002: Message edited by: VizualXTC ]
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
antwawn

Post by antwawn »

hmm mixed reviews...but im leaning toward the bullcrap fllag raising my self
MX3RS

Post by MX3RS »

Hmm..... This is complete BS. Starion intercooler huh? I got one on my Starion, but it at least has a turbo. I dont see how this could possibly add any hp at all. If he's using an air-to-air intercooler like the Starion's, then its not possible for him to cool down the air more than the outside ambient temp, which on an N/A car is what is sucked into the intake already. Your friend wasted his money on something like that. What is this world coming to? People putting IC's on cars that have no forced induction.... [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VizualXTC:<BR><STRONG>personally I would denounce all possibility of it helping performance. Especially to 8whp. I hate to do it but Imma have to raise the bulls--- flag. Image You'd loose too much pressure goin thru the i/c. The engine would have to actually suck harder durring the intake stroke, reducing power, to get enuff air thru the i/c into the chamber.<P>[ September 11, 2002: Message edited by: VizualXTC ]</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>damn when did we get the bs flag!?!
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

If there was a 100% effecient intercooler, it would bring the intake air to ambient. If you have a cold air intake, that's going to be sucking ambient temperature air in. So an intercooler is just going to be a restriction.<P>Note: Intercoolers on SC's are either after the compressor, or worthless. I can't recall seeing any that were precompressor ever. There's nothing to cool precompressor or NA. Period.
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sonicxtacy02:<BR><STRONG><P>damn when did we get the bs flag!?!</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Sadly we don't have the BS flag. I had to link it to probetalk. But if in the future you would like to pull up the flag, just link the image to "http://probesport.extremespace.com/iB_h ... con_bs.gif"
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

i just found my new best friend :D<P><BR> Image Image <BR> Image Image Image Image Image <P>[ September 12, 2002: Message edited by: Sonicxtacy02 ]<p>[ September 12, 2002: Message edited by: Sonicxtacy02 ]
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
TedLeeper

Post by TedLeeper »

after doing some reasearch and listening to what you guys said i realize how stupid my reply sounded and would like to thank you two for corecting me, i now have a better understanding of turbo/super chargers sorry for being ignorant and thanks for the knowledge, <BR>tedleeper
Hmm. what to do now..
....maybe a VTEC for lunch.

Return to “Forced Induction”