Turbo on engine over 100k km

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
Brainless

Turbo on engine over 100k km

Post by Brainless »

Is it safe to turbocharge an engine (B6 for example) if it's over 100k km old. The reason I'm asking is I won't have enought money to do that type of project for an other year or two so I wanna know If my engine will still be able to survive the boost.
Jonathan Michaud
93 Red RS
MX3RS

Re: Turbo on engine over 100k km

Post by MX3RS »

sure as long as you dont beat on it all the time and make sure everything is in working order. Your best bet would be to tear it all down and have it rebuilt stronger if you plan to turbocharge it.
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

100k km's is like 60k miles right? No problem.<P>Boost away :)
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
MX3RS

Post by MX3RS »

oh yeah duh, he said 100k km, oops guess I didnt look close enough.
Brainless

Post by Brainless »

Thanks! I was at the track yesterday and I was so slow!! I got to do something w/ my poor RS.
Jonathan Michaud
93 Red RS
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Coleman:<BR><STRONG>100k km's is like 60k miles right? No problem.<P>Boost away :)</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>What about 97K Miles. Should I do it now? or just wait for my KLZE?
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
Ray

Post by Ray »

If you go by this ling you can see some very good info regarding our engine, thanks to David Coleman <A HREF="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dorothy.br ... /p_m18.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dorothy.br ... m18.htm</A> <BR>Some of this says:<BR>Ford bench testing, with very minor changes, showed the V6 to be capable of continuous running at 8900rpm - well beyond redline 7500rpm. <P>SAE paper "SAE920677" covers detailed design of the engine. <BR>+<BR>A USA oil company researched engine longevity using their own oil: <P><BR>"After 300,950 miles the Mazda MX6-V6 passed an IM 240 Exhaust Emission Test in Aurora, Colorado, with results well within new car limits. At more than 310,000 miles, the test engine was disassembled for inspection and measurement. No wear was evident on valve stems and guides, main and rod bearings, crankshaft main and rod journals, or cylinder walls. The cylinder hone marks from original factory machining were all clearly evident. While piston skirts showed no wear, piston rings showed an average of only 0.0015" of face wear."<BR>The V6 rivals the Lexus V8 for longevity, which is unsurprising considering the original application was a Xedos6-2.0V6, Xedos9-2.25/2.5V6 & Sentia rotary luxury lines. Many V6s & I4s have exceeded 350,000 miles, the only failures on one was a Mitsubishi alternator at over 200,000 miles and the pre-Jan-1995 rear calipers on another. <P>I know of 1 rally car in poland, where the engine runs up to 8450 rpm, but dont have the link it was on the board last year.<BR>Hopes it settles you. <BR>Basicly if you have changed your oil + filter, as you should, you should be on the safe side.<BR>Regards
Ray
2.5L if you try - you can't without it

Return to “Forced Induction”