Twin Turbo

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
Ray

Twin Turbo

Post by Ray »

Hi <BR>I have just paid approx. 400 US$ for the twin turbo set incl. some of the tubes from an Mitsubishi 3000 GT and an Intercooler from an Toyota Supra 3.0 <BR>After reading "Maximum Boost" I have found the nerve to try it with one of my friends.<BR>While I am waiting for the stuff to arrive I will appriciate any GOOD advice, what so ever regarding installation etc.<BR>I am thinking about installing an oil cooler ?<BR>Also maybe an ekstra oilpump ?<BR>I have installed an KL03 with lighten flywhell (6.7 kg), KL03 VAF + ECU, centerforce dual clutch + tranny from the 626 2.5L statitonscar + cold ram air intake.<BR>Take Care
Ray
2.5L if you try - you can't without it

Re: Twin Turbo

Post by Guest »

ive heard a twin turbo system is a waste of time, but it would be cool to see what it performs like, if your turbos are too big they wont spool up till really high revs, and where are ya gonna fit all that stuff under the hood?
Coolzombi

Post by Coolzombi »

and your gonna spin all the ¼ miles..lol<BR>make it 4x4 !!!
Friends don't let friends drive stock.
Hy300

Post by Hy300 »

I was considering changing an MR2 to twin turbo before I bought my MX-3. Though a company actually made kits for that. I wish you luck with your MX-3TT experiment. I recommend a T3/T4 hybrid because of the spool up it has. But if you really go far I would to for either Greddy T-67's or T-78's because of their high output. Look around for turbo piston heads that will fit the MX-3, I forget the site but I found a company once who makes special coated piston heads for turbo and nitrous purposes (I think they were tungsten dipped but don't hold me to that). You should get with forged rods too.
pelado

Post by pelado »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hy300:<BR><STRONG> You should get with forged rods too.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>The stock rods are forged. No one puts cast rods in engines, at least not since the 50's.<P>An oil cooler would be nice but I have no idea where you're going to put the extra oil pump. :roll: <P>The best advice I could possibly give you is to hand this project over to a professional shop along with a huge wad of cash. If you don't, then I predict this project will die prematurely from lack of know-how and frustration.
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
Ray

Post by Ray »

Well thanks for the advice, I'm not abaut to give in for any reason, I have read "Maximum Boost" + "superchargers" by Corky Bell so I do KNOW the problems I'am about to face, my time tabel for the installation is 1 month minimum, I belive the turbo's I will install is the same as Thomas Knight recommend (YES I know the saying about his products) and if you see the pictures on his site the output manifold design is straight forward. regarding oilcooler it will proberly be installed horisontal, I have 2 X 4" air intakes in the front where the foglights was, remember this is an euro style mx3, and yes the car is going in to an turboshop, but that will be for the final calibration of chip / turbo. I'm positive about the projekt, also because my friend is an professinal mechanic, but thanks for your concern. <BR>The intercooler arrived today !<BR>By the way if anyone knows any MX3 Turbo's in CA, I'm going there in the start of september with my daughter.<BR>Take Care out there...
Ray
Ray

Post by Ray »

UPS sorry for my spelling, English is not my native language, HHMMM did I do that right... ;)
Ray
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hy300:<BR><STRONG>I was considering changing an MR2 to twin turbo before I bought my MX-3. Though a company actually made kits for that. I wish you luck with your MX-3TT experiment. I recommend a T3/T4 hybrid because of the spool up it has. But if you really go far I would to for either Greddy T-67's or T-78's because of their high output. Look around for turbo piston heads that will fit the MX-3, I forget the site but I found a company once who makes special coated piston heads for turbo and nitrous purposes (I think they were tungsten dipped but don't hold me to that). You should get with forged rods too.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>A T3/T4 hybrid is a bit on the small side of a good single turbo for a 2.5L engine. Doing twins with those would be CRAZY.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
Ray

Post by Ray »

I have received the mitsubishi TD04 turbo's + the Supra Intercooler, the TD04 is watercooled and have an fast spool time, they goes to 15 psi, with internal wastegate, the Intercooler has in and output in the same (GOOD) side, so when it becomes weekeend I guess we will take the car up on the lift and begin taking measurements for it all. I dont think the car will be undriveable when we are through, regarding the tourgh in the low area I can definately feel that I have lightnen the flywheel, and as the turbo should start at approx 1800 - 2500 rpm before giving full power, I will be back when there is news.
Ray

Return to “Forced Induction”