k8 turbo project

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
VizualXTC

k8 turbo project

Post by VizualXTC »

Ok, I basically know all of what I need. The only thing I need to know is types. I know I need a higher output fuel pump. I have read about the RX-7 Pump being sufficient. What year pump will push the ammount of fuel I need? Or is it going to have to be aftermarket? Second, I remember reading something about mitata injectors being better than the stock K8 injectors. Will these flow the fuel I need? If so, what year, if not, what kind of injectors will I need? Thanks for your help everyone.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
David Coleman

Re: k8 turbo project

Post by David Coleman »

Look at some miata injectors, then look at your stock injectors, and tell me why they won't fit.
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
nicolasbeique

Post by nicolasbeique »

Why are you turbo charging the K8 when you are buying yourself a KL-ZE??? or is the group buy not on anymore? [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
<A HREF="http://www.spheregraphics.com/" TARGET=_blank>Image</A>
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

custom sidefeeds in da hizzy y0.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
Stevech_2001

Post by Stevech_2001 »

I'd only turbo if your motor has low milage...if it has high milage then say goodbye to your motor when there is even a slight hint of detonation.....I'd get it refreshed or save yourself the trouble and get a kl-03 or kl-ze
Steve
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

Well Dave, I've never seen the miata injectors. I didn't know that they wouldn't fit. Is there another injector you would suggest? Any names of companies?<P>Nic, The KLZE buy is still on as soon as I can get ahold of the guy. I am probably not going to be able to get one right now because of finances.<P>Steve, The reason I am doing a K8 turbo project is basically because you don't have to save $1000 to do it. I can buy the turbo now, buy the I/C later, buy the FMU later, and so on. I am terrible when it comes to saving money so I figure I will do a turbo this summer, and wait until I get my tax returns to get the KLZE.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

RC engineering will make custom injectors. Secondaries off a RX-7 will work, but not without a Stand alone, since they are so damn big. The car wouldnt idle otherwise.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ProtegeSTS:<BR><STRONG>RC engineering will make custom injectors. Secondaries off a RX-7 will work, but not without a Stand alone, since they are so damn big. The car wouldnt idle otherwise.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>And back to a question that went unanswered a ling time ago. What is a stand alone? Is it that computer module that you put in, and run off your laptop? <P>There has to be a way to get higher flow injectors without having to spend $2K on an engine management system.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

ImageImage
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VizualXTC:<BR><STRONG><P>And back to a question that went unanswered a ling time ago. What is a stand alone? Is it that computer module that you put in, and run off your laptop? <P>There has to be a way to get higher flow injectors without having to spend $2K on an engine management system.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>it doesnt have to run off your labtop, but many do. A stand alone is a full engine computer that takes over for your ECU....you throw that out and use the stand alone. It "stands alone" unlike "piggy back" computers that just play around with values to change stuff. A basic SDS fuel computer starts around 700 bucks. You could stick with base timeing for a non-turbo application with no problem.<P>You can use higher flow units, but just not the 850s from a FD. <P> [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ProtegeSTS:<BR><STRONG><P>it doesnt have to run off your labtop, but many do. A stand alone is a full engine computer that takes over for your ECU....you throw that out and use the stand alone. It "stands alone" unlike "piggy back" computers that just play around with values to change stuff. A basic SDS fuel computer starts around 700 bucks. You could stick with base timeing for a non-turbo application with no problem.<P>You can use higher flow units, but just not the 850s from a FD. <P> [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Well, I'm only gunna be running maybe 7 PSI so I don't really need HUGE injectors. Plus, I will have an FMU to take care of fuel pressure.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

ImageImage
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

cool, then you need custom injectors. This is the whole "catch-22" of this project.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
Stevech_2001

Post by Stevech_2001 »

are you running 7 psi without an i/c...I would play safe with something like 5-6...7 max with fmu and injectors and intercooler...I would be just worried about detonation without a intercooler
Steve
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stevech_2001:<BR><STRONG>are you running 7 psi without an i/c...I would play safe with something like 5-6...7 max with fmu and injectors and intercooler...I would be just worried about detonation without a intercooler</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I never said I was gunna run without an I/C. In fact, a response to your earlier post said I was planning on getting the I/C. I am just going to piece it together rather than buy it all at once.<P>Hey Jesse, you should IM me next time you're online. It would be alot easier, and quicker for me, to converse over an IM rather than posting.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

ImageImage
Ray

Post by Ray »

Search for miller and see what david C. wrote:<BR>"Actually, for the street, a K8 turbo would be more practical than a KL turbo. Less torque means less broken trannies and axles and an easier time getting traction. 1 bar on a K8 should get you ~250whp, which is going to be a very quick street car. Just drop in some KJS injectors which after 99 were rated @ 305cc/min IIRC. "<BR>Take Care
Ray
2.5L if you try - you can't without it
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ray:<BR><STRONG>Search for miller and see what david C. wrote:<BR>"Actually, for the street, a K8 turbo would be more practical than a KL turbo. Less torque means less broken trannies and axles and an easier time getting traction. 1 bar on a K8 should get you ~250whp, which is going to be a very quick street car. Just drop in some KJS injectors which after 99 were rated @ 305cc/min IIRC. "<BR>Take Care</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>In that thread I asked about that post. Thanks for the info tho.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

ImageImage

Return to “Forced Induction”