Hybrid B6 DOHC - found a gtx donor...

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
TopGun

Hybrid B6 DOHC - found a gtx donor...

Post by TopGun »

I found a Guy selling a gtx 323... it has the b6t in it. However, the motor has 260000 km on it - I don't want to put that motor into my mx... (mine has 100000 km).<P>I want gut the 323 and put everything into my mx. Does it have everything I need to run a turbo setup reliably on the mx? Ie: Can I use the 323's ecu, injectors etc? What aftermarket parts do I need?<P>I remember some guy posting a pdf, but I can't find it anymore. <P>If you have it man, please mail me at<BR>robert.shanks@corel.com<P>Anyhow, yeah I'm just hoping I can have a discussion with someone who's done their own hybrid swap. I assume I'll need to run some custom pipes, but I want to iron out the details before I drop $750 on a GTX with a bad center differential.
Speed Kills - Drive a honda, live forever...
mazda20

Re: Hybrid B6 DOHC - found a gtx donor...

Post by mazda20 »

94 Mazda MX-3 BPT Custom Intake/Exhaust T3/T4, 51mm BOV, Tial WG, 2.5" Piping, 880cc Inj, Godspeed Intercooler, TEC II
My MX-3 Website
maldo

Post by maldo »

Go to the site in my signature. You will find everything that is needed to complete the swap for the sohc. The dohc is slightly different, the pro lx ecu can't be used. The 323 ecu and wiring can't be used, neither can the disty.
TopGun

Post by TopGun »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by maldo:<BR><STRONG>Go to the site in my signature. You will find everything that is needed to complete the swap for the sohc. The dohc is slightly different, the pro lx ecu can't be used. The 323 ecu and wiring can't be used, neither can the disty.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I'm currently running an RS DOHC 1.6L.<P>Lots of can't's in that sentence. Why is the 323 no good? They're both twin cam, no?<P>Rob
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

you have a dohc, chris had a sohc. he also put the whole b6t motor in his car. your best thing to do if you don't want to put the b6t motor in your car is to take the turbo manifold and turbo off of the 323 and put it on your 1.6 dohc. go to kick@$$mazda's site if that's what you want to do. if you want to do a complete b6t swap, chris' site has a lot of good info, even though you have a dohc.
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
maldo

Post by maldo »

The 323 ecu is old '86 technology, half the functions that you need are not controlled by just the ecu in the 323. Trust me on this one, I tried wiring my car using the 323 ecu for 6 months before I settled on my current setup. The 323 disty won't work because the ecu that you will end up with isn't designed for vaccum advance. The Pro LX ecu will work on the SOHC swap but not for the DOHC swap as far as I understand. You could just use your stock ecu with a piggy back fuel computer.
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

speaking of ecu's. does anyone know if the j-spec 90-94 323 gtx ecu will plug into the dohc harness? reason is because i was looking into adapting a link engine management system(back-up plan). i've seen a pic of the 323 ecu and it "looks" like it will plug in..but i'm not sure.<p>[ June 22, 2002: Message edited by: cre8v mx3 ]
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
TopGun

Post by TopGun »

Know Kick@$$mazda's website?<P>I want to turbocharge my B6 DOHC... I don't want to replace the whole engine - so basically I need to buy a piggyback fuel computer which is going to run me more than a GTX engine swap anyways is what you guys are saying? Cause that's what it sounds like.<P>Ideally I've found a gtx full engine and I want to know if I can take PARTS of it and transplant PARTS of it into my B6 DOHC. It appears this is not the case from what you both say - I'm not comfortable with your setup Chris - it didn't work, right?<P>Eh. The need for speed.
Ryencool

Post by Ryencool »

heh im pretty sure chris's setup works, besides him blowing up pistons etc..im doin what he has done in a few months
92 red rs
performance exhaust
zx2 struts and Eibach springs
turboed + stand alone when the cash is there
maldo

Post by maldo »

What is wrong with my setup? The fact of me blowing pistons has nothing to do with my setup, only a slight miscalculation on my tuning. The car ran fine on full throttle, my low throttle setting on the S-AFC was too low for the 6k rpm that I was at. That is all. The setup works fine considering I am putting out near 200whp.<P>You can use the rods and pistons out of the B6T, but they have to be used together. Just found out that the b6t pistons are floating style while the B6e ones that I was going to use are press fit. Won't work. Guess I may be going back to the 7.9:1 pistons or looking at a set of Miata auto 9.0:1 pistons.<P>The cylinder head from the B6T is a better design than the MX-3, some may argue this point but it is.
TopGun

Post by TopGun »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by maldo:<BR><STRONG>What is wrong with my setup? The fact of me blowing pistons has nothing to do with my setup, only a slight miscalculation on my tuning. The car ran fine on full throttle, my low throttle setting on the S-AFC was too low for the 6k rpm that I was at. That is all. The setup works fine considering I am putting out near 200whp.<P>You can use the rods and pistons out of the B6T, but they have to be used together. Just found out that the b6t pistons are floating style while the B6e ones that I was going to use are press fit. Won't work. Guess I may be going back to the 7.9:1 pistons or looking at a set of Miata auto 9.0:1 pistons.<P>The cylinder head from the B6T is a better design than the MX-3, some may argue this point but it is.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>okay okay it works (btw 200whp? I heard you were running 16's... not matching...)<P>but what I'm saying is <can I make a hybrid setup of with a DOHC work>... and nobody has had any suggestions for an ecu - Obi-wan, you're my only hope.<P>Except an independent fuel computer which is probably worth more than the donor engine. (definitely)
maldo

Post by maldo »

200whp is what I am nearing, right now should be around the 185-195whp. Reason for the bad times is the clutch hasn't been able to hold anything over 10psi, and even at 10psi it couldn't hold well past 4k rpm. A buddy of mine with nearly the same mods as I had when I ran the 16s but with a fresh clutch just ran a 14.9s on poor tires. Once the motor is back together, I figure that there should be some substantial gains with all the head work. Other GT cars with similar setups usually run around 13.9-14.2 in the 1320, problem is, SIR is at 1600ft above sea level.<P>You could bolt the B6T head assembly to your B6ZE block, it will work no problem there. Another, possibly cheaper option, would be to just swap the B6T cams in - won't have the same gains though.<P>As far as an ecu, you could use your stocker. Take a look into reprogramming it, talk to Derrick on that one. I do recommend using a S-AFC and the B6T fuel injectors to help out the fuelling issue. If there is a plug in ecu, it won't provide the maps that you need. You should be looking at the B6T 330cc injectors, S-AFC, FC3S fuel pump, and a RR-FPR for complete fuel management. Also look into upgrading the stock ignition.<P>Nobody told you going boosted was cheap. ;)
TopGun

Post by TopGun »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by maldo:<BR><STRONG>200whp is what I am nearing, right now should be around the 185-195whp. Reason for the bad times is the clutch hasn't been able to hold anything over 10psi, and even at 10psi it couldn't hold well past 4k rpm. A buddy of mine with nearly the same mods as I had when I ran the 16s but with a fresh clutch just ran a 14.9s on poor tires. Once the motor is back together, I figure that there should be some substantial gains with all the head work. Other GT cars with similar setups usually run around 13.9-14.2 in the 1320, problem is, SIR is at 1600ft above sea level.<P>You could bolt the B6T head assembly to your B6ZE block, it will work no problem there. Another, possibly cheaper option, would be to just swap the B6T cams in - won't have the same gains though.<P>As far as an ecu, you could use your stocker. Take a look into reprogramming it, talk to Derrick on that one. I do recommend using a S-AFC and the B6T fuel injectors to help out the fuelling issue. If there is a plug in ecu, it won't provide the maps that you need. You should be looking at the B6T 330cc injectors, S-AFC, FC3S fuel pump, and a RR-FPR for complete fuel management. Also look into upgrading the stock ignition.<P>Nobody told you going boosted was cheap. ;)</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Hey Chris the 323 GTX has like 260 km on it - you think that if I take the exhaust mani to a machine shop I'll found out its cracked?!<P>- side note ... do you know Tim or Troy Shanks? They are cousins... I'm actually born in Saskatoon too...
maldo

Post by maldo »

You could get it checked if you want but there isn't much need. It will cost you, I would just get it running and see how it is. Either that or pull the manifold and clean it thoroughly and do a visual inspection yourself.<P>Don't actually know your cousins, I moved here 3 years ago for University. I was actually born in Prince Albert but spent the mojority of my time in Melfort.
mazda20

Post by mazda20 »

Hey, just caught up with your conversation on the bolt on ideas here. The fuel suggestions are exact, but I spoke with Apexi on the S-AFC and they said there might be a problem with TPS or the grounds with the 94+ MX-3, but they weren't sure, they also would not admit it if there product was not exactly compatible or not. No help really, so I would wait on the S-AFC until someone here gets it all figured out on our DOHC MX-3's. I have considered reprogramming my ECU with the 323 fuel mapping by Venom or JET, but I am still in the research phase so I don't know yet. I am doing real good without the S-AFC and I still need to get a fuel pump and RRFPR. (I only have the injectors, plugs, wires right now).
94 Mazda MX-3 BPT Custom Intake/Exhaust T3/T4, 51mm BOV, Tial WG, 2.5" Piping, 880cc Inj, Godspeed Intercooler, TEC II
My MX-3 Website

Return to “Forced Induction”