Turbo ZE Tranny

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
VizualXTC

Turbo ZE Tranny

Post by VizualXTC »

My goal is 450WHP. I figure that is within reach if I turbocharge the KLZE with modified internals, and various other mods. The thing I am worried about now is the drive train. What transmission should I get? What drive shafts? What other items should I replace? Thanks everyone.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
Bri94GS

Re: Turbo ZE Tranny

Post by Bri94GS »

450whp is A LOT for a street car<P>you're gonna be snapping axles, burning clutches, and breaking trannie's left and right<P><BR>Plus, the kl-03 motor has a more "boost-freindly" compression, so i'd use that for a project motor if anything. If you break something in your ZE motor, it's not like you can go to your local parts store to get it replaced.
~Bri - Morph860@aol.com
'94 MX-3 GS (FOR SALE!)
'04 Mazda 3s 5-door
zoom-zoom
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bri94GS:<BR><STRONG>Plus, the kl-03 motor has a more "boost-freindly" compression, so i'd use that for a project motor if anything. If you break something in your ZE motor, it's not like you can go to your local parts store to get it replaced.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>The KLZE has lower compression than any Honda B series VTEC motor. They seem to like turbocharging just fine...<P>And name one part that you can't get over here for the KLZE? The only one I can think of off hand is the intake HLA's and springs, but I seriously doubt you're going to destroy one of those with a mistuned turbo setup...
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bri94GS:<BR><STRONG>450whp is A LOT for a street car<P>you're gonna be snapping axles, burning clutches, and breaking trannie's left and right<P><BR>Plus, the kl-03 motor has a more "boost-freindly" compression, so i'd use that for a project motor if anything. If you break something in your ZE motor, it's not like you can go to your local parts store to get it replaced.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Like I said man, I am planning to do internal work. It will lower the compression a bit and reinforce them so that 20+ PSI will be no problem. Like I said, I am afraid of breaking the tranny and drive shafts. I have done alot of research on turbocharging the ZE and 03. the 03 on stock internals can handle 10PSI(.68 bar) max, the ZE on stock internals can handle 7PSI(.48 bar) max. Do the math and you should come out with around 296BHP for the ZE and 235BHP for the 03 (HP ratings will vary with turbo system efficiency). SO, even tho the compression ratio for the 03 can handle more boost than the ZE. The ZE will produce more power. The main differences between the 2 motors that give the ZE the power it has (strictly from word-of mouth references) is the cams, and the ports, and compression. Lower the compression to 9.1:1 like on the 03 it still won't bring it down 40HP. In all my reserch, the ZE is a better engine to turbocharge. <P>Now back to the origional question. What transmission should I use (Dave said a custom tranny), and what other items should I replace? (i.e. drive shaft, axle, etc.) I am planning on using the ACT stage 2 or stage 3 clutch.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
Bri94GS

Post by Bri94GS »

The ZE would use the same pumps, gaskets, and belts as the 03? Someone told me before that they would all need to be special ordered, and would be pretty expensive... [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img] <P><BR>I love my mx-3 and all...but honestly, unless you have loads of money to throw in it, it's pretty hopeless to make one fast. Maybe that's jusy my opinion though. Maybe lots of money to me isn't very much to you. A straight - ZE swap will get you to what? Low 15's? Spending 2 grand+ to get into the high14/low 15 1/4 mile range doesn't really sound too appealing to me. I'd have to think it'd be a few more bucks to turbocharge it as well...just my thoughts, let me know how it goes<p>[ April 07, 2002: Message edited by: Bri94GS ]
~Bri - Morph860@aol.com
'94 MX-3 GS (FOR SALE!)
'04 Mazda 3s 5-door
zoom-zoom
mx3gsr

Post by mx3gsr »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bri94GS:<BR><STRONG>The ZE would use the same pumps, gaskets, and belts as the 03? Someone told me before that they would all need to be special ordered, and would be pretty expensive... [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img] <BR></STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>They're mistaken. It's all the same as the 03.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bri94GS:<BR><STRONG><BR>I love my mx-3 and all...but honestly, unless you have loads of money to throw in it, it's pretty hopeless to make one fast. Maybe that's jusy my opinion though. Maybe lots of money to me isn't very much to you. A straight - ZE swap will get you to what? Low 15's? Spending 2 grand+ to get into the high14/low 15 1/4 mile range doesn't really sound too appealing to me. I'd have to think it'd be a few more bucks to turbocharge it as well...just my thoughts, let me know how it goes<BR></STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>If you can do your own labour, ZE swap is mid-high 14s for $2K. Turbocharge that (home built) for another $2K and you're into the mid 13s.<P>So for $4K you go from 16s to 13s and can dust pretty much any 2002 production car on the road. A 300hp MX-3 is worth every penny spent and hour invested into it, especially for that look on the 5.0L drivers face as you walk away from him like he's standing still...<P>It's all relative on what you consider "worth it" or "expensive". You can make other cars go faster for cheaper, true, but it's certainly not a "hopeless" scenario.<P>Some people have more money invested into paint/stereo than I have into my entire car... but to each his own. <P>Whatever turns you crank...
1992 MX-3 GS-R 2.5L Turbo - retired 2001 :(
13.8@107mph
Bri94GS

Post by Bri94GS »

Exactly...if you have the money, it'll be well spent. 13.8 is fast for a streetcar, I'll keep you guys updated on my GSX project if you'd like...it's almost done. Even though i like the looks of my mx-3 a lot better, the GSX seems a lot easier and cheaper to make fast<p>[ April 08, 2002: Message edited by: Bri94GS ]
~Bri - Morph860@aol.com
'94 MX-3 GS (FOR SALE!)
'04 Mazda 3s 5-door
zoom-zoom

Return to “Forced Induction”