turbo for the 1.6 sohc?

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
mazda20

Re: turbo for the 1.6 sohc?

Post by mazda20 »

I kept a look out on ebay and was able to get the stuff from there over a period of a month.
94 Mazda MX-3 BPT Custom Intake/Exhaust T3/T4, 51mm BOV, Tial WG, 2.5" Piping, 880cc Inj, Godspeed Intercooler, TEC II
My MX-3 Website
maldo

Post by maldo »

Jesse is right, the sohc can handle somewhere in vicinity of 300hp. The cranks are the same, pistons have different CR, rods are slightly different but not enough to make a real big difference.<P>91 or greater octane isn't going to cut it with fitting a turbo to the sohc. You should be using a larger pump, RRR-FPR, fuel computer or a combination of these to help solve lean out problems under boost.
Brainless

Post by Brainless »

Yeah but where to get the turbo for the SOHC??????????
Jonathan Michaud
93 Red RS
mazda20

Post by mazda20 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by maldo:<BR><STRONG>Jesse is right, the sohc can handle somewhere in vicinity of 300hp. The cranks are the same, pistons have different CR, rods are slightly different but not enough to make a real big difference.<P>91 or greater octane isn't going to cut it with fitting a turbo to the sohc. You should be using a larger pump, RRR-FPR, fuel computer or a combination of these to help solve lean out problems under boost.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Ya, your right, I forgot to mention that I am either getting a Greddy RR FPR or an Apexi S-AFC, probably will go with the Greddy RRFPR because I heard that it is a nightmare hooking up the Apexi S-AFC.
94 Mazda MX-3 BPT Custom Intake/Exhaust T3/T4, 51mm BOV, Tial WG, 2.5" Piping, 880cc Inj, Godspeed Intercooler, TEC II
My MX-3 Website
Bri94GS

Post by Bri94GS »

This place near me tunes Apexi S-AFC's...<BR> <A HREF="http://www.pruvenperformance.com/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.pruvenperformance.com/</A>
~Bri - Morph860@aol.com
'94 MX-3 GS (FOR SALE!)
'04 Mazda 3s 5-door
zoom-zoom
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kick @#$ Mazda:<BR><STRONG><P>Ya, your right, I forgot to mention that I am either getting a Greddy RR FPR or an Apexi S-AFC, probably will go with the Greddy RRFPR because I heard that it is a nightmare hooking up the Apexi S-AFC.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>Cartech 20005 is where its at...cheaper and works VERY well.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brainless:<BR><STRONG>Yeah but where to get the turbo for the SOHC??????????</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>Ebay? Any of the turbo rebuild companies can probably build you a custom one if thats what you want. Taking one off any other car would work too. <P>Turbos are just a turbo....they arent car specific.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

Greddy doesnt make a RRFPR...at least according to their site [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
texmx3

Post by texmx3 »

Cartech is no longer in operation for any thing hopefully Bellenginering will stay open
Brainless

Post by Brainless »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ProtegeSTS:<BR><STRONG><P><BR>Ebay? Any of the turbo rebuild companies can probably build you a custom one if thats what you want. Taking one off any other car would work too. <P>Turbos are just a turbo....they arent car specific.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Oh! ok. I thought DOHC and SOHC were using different types of turbos. Yes I know, I still have alot to learn about forced induction.
Jonathan Michaud
93 Red RS
Brainless

Post by Brainless »

What would be the cost of adding a turbo from an other car to a SOHC mx-3 if I have to par for the labor?<P>How much hp should I be expecting from that if I want to keep it reliable and how much psi does that represent?
Jonathan Michaud
93 Red RS
maldo

Post by maldo »

Oooh Boy! That is a fairly big question. First thing is for you to go and read "Maximum Boost". Once you do that you will be able to answer most of these questions that you have. <P>Find any turbo on ebay, make sure it isn't too large. Look for one off of a Eclipse/Talon, Subaru, GT/GTX, Pulsar. Any car with a comparible motor, 2.0L or less is a good starting point. Stay away from the Cummins Truck turbos. You will need to have a manifold made or you could use one from the Gt/GTX. A bonus is that the turbos used on most of the older Subaru cars bolt right up. <P>The power potential is whatever you are willing to attempt. I would say that bolting a small turbo, with the proper tuning, would give you 30+ whp. Most turbos from factory cars run around 8psi stock so that would be your starting point. I don't think I would go over 14psi on the stock internals. The smaller turbo can't usually handle much more than 16psi anyways, after 4500rpm they usually fall off in efficiency.<P>Another good turbo is off the older MX-6, it bolts right up to the GTX manifold too. Send it to Mike at Dallas Turbo to get it made into a hybrid for better spool up and power. He has done lots of these for the GTX rally guys.<P>Hope this helps
Brainless

Post by Brainless »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by maldo:<BR><STRONG>...You will need to have a manifold made or you could use one from the Gt/GTX...</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I thought it would only fit the DOHC 4 cyl?
Jonathan Michaud
93 Red RS
maldo

Post by maldo »

Not all of the holes are in the right spot for bolting it up but it will hold with the bolts that do line up.
Brainless

Post by Brainless »

Alright so lets make a grocery list:<P>-Turbo from an old mx-6 or ford probe (I guess the one from GTX or GTR would be alright thought)<BR>-Manifold from GTX<BR>-Fuel pump from 2nd gen RX-7?<BR>-Injectors from protege LX?<BR>-Intercooler (any recommendations)?<BR>-Some piping (custom of course)<BR>-Blow off valve (any recommendations)?<BR>-Am I forgetting something?<P>What about the ECU?<BR>I know custom turbo set are hard to keep reliable, is there anything I should know like, stuff that will have to be adjust.<P>Will I need a new clutch since it's just a small hp gain (30 whp)?<P>Any idea about the price of labors on that kind of project?<P>Thanks!
Jonathan Michaud
93 Red RS

Return to “Forced Induction”