Chrome in a can?

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)

Chrome in a can?

Post by Guest »

Hi,

Does anyone know if there is a way of getting a chrome plated effect on interior and exterior plastic parts without the expensive plating process?

A chrome or mirror effect spray paint would be good. Do they exist??

I was thinking of doing chrome air intakes like on the Spyker C8.
monstar-mx-3

Re: Chrome in a can?

Post by monstar-mx-3 »

Chrome Paint. but doesnt look that good
Low3-XM

Post by Low3-XM »

if u buy a crome paint its gonna come out a bright silver... a buddy tried it, it don't work
Jutzi420

Post by Jutzi420 »

I got a spray bomb from canadian tire that worked pretty well. The brand was Dupli-Color, I was really impressed, only problem was the clear coat I had didn't work, it dulled the shine. Maybe a Dupli-Color clear would work better.

If you want your trim to look like it's actually chromed you're probably gonna hafta get a spray shop to do it in an automotive quality paint.

Have a look at page 3 of my cardomain site. I've got a pic of my center console sprayed in chrome.

<small>[ February 01, 2004, 04:19 PM: Message edited by: Jutzi420 ]</small>
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

ive used that in a can thing, but you get what you pay for, it looks aluminum when dry, doesnt look like chrome at all, and then more you touch it, polishing etc, more darket it gets.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the replies, I went with plasti-kote chrome spray, looks good but can't be clear coated as you said, and it takes about a decade to dry.

Done a lot of mods recently, look out for my UK MX3 on car domain in a couple of weeks.

Return to “Appearance”