what do you think of these seats?

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
Johns93GS

Re: what do you think of these seats?

Post by Johns93GS »

it depends on what kind - ebay has some cheap *** seats, but they're always in red.... :( <p>Darren, when you say the sliders arent level with the MX-3 floor, how can the OEM ones not be level with the floor? Do they get messed up when you attach them to racing seat? <p>Also, how hard to fabricate an adapter? Thanks dude<p>[ June 10, 2003: Message edited by: Johns93GS ]</p>
john kilfoyle .:. mx-3 fanatic
http://www.cardomain.com/id/johnmx3
Spydie

Post by Spydie »

the floor of the MX3 is not flat and 1 rail sits lower than the other. But the bottom of the racing seats are perfectly level. Also the rails are slightly further apart than the aftermarket seats. At least mine are, so the bolt holes don't line up at all. If you try to simply bolt the OEM rails to the aftermarket seats they will lean to one side. My plan is to bridge the gap of the OEM rails with heavy duty steel. TRose and I traced a template with cardboard 1st. The steel strips get either welded or bolted to the rails and secondary holes are drilled into the "adaptor" for the seats to go to. The seat will sit about 1/4" higher than stock but is not physically or visually noticeable.
http://members.cardomain.com/spydie
"So I said to my one legged wife, I said...'Peg', you're 'cut-off'."
Johns93GS

Post by Johns93GS »

So Darren, in your opinion, is it worth it to get racing seats or should you not even bother?? <p>I mean it sounds kinda hard to put them in the car... is it really worth it? What do you think? :shrug:
john kilfoyle .:. mx-3 fanatic
http://www.cardomain.com/id/johnmx3
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Post by johnnyb »

if you want cheap racing style seats go to a junkyard and find a 89-94 suzuki swift GTi/GT and pull out its front seats. I'm sure the junkyard would let them go for a reasonable price then if you want get them reupolstered. Suzuki put Recaro seats in those cars for some reason.
Spydie

Post by Spydie »

Ironically enough my seats are Recaros. Changing your seats is a matter of preferrence and practicality. I did it for the look and feel, which is why I bought sport seats and not racing seats. I still wanted to be able to recline, but have that aggressive look and feel.
I wouldn't say that putting the seats in is hard, it's just not as easy as taking the old ones out and putting the new ones in. I still haven't got mine in yet. I'm waiting for the adaptors to be made. (a friend of a friend of a friend is doing it for me) Any welding or speed shop will fabricate brackets for you if you don't want to do it yourself. But I'm thrifty.
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

Well- personally, I think that the stock 92-93 seats are F-ing awesome. They are bolstered high enough to be racing seats and they are comfy as hell. <p>All you guys with the 94+... sorry bout your luck!<p> :) <p>LOL....<p> You guys get the cooler dash though-- so I guess it evens out!
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
Spydie

Post by Spydie »

thanks...and I'm sorry for the 92-93 dash.
EBUCKS

Post by EBUCKS »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr> Well- personally, I think that the stock 92-93 seats are F-ing awesome. They are bolstered high enough to be racing seats and they are comfy as hell. <hr></blockquote><p>Personally, I think the '92 '93 seat are sweet as well. The lumbar support is much, much better than the '94-'96. However, the height difference is weird. Stiff suspension and 17's make my head hit roof constantly. :p :roll: <p>Seats from junk yard = $50CDN / per seat
Kick a$$ upholstery job = $225CDN / per seat<p>However, I'm really liking the look of those seats. Well money doesn't grow on trees so I guess I'm stuck.<p>one
Ryencool

Post by Ryencool »

the company that makes DND seats, dynamic auto designs, is supposedly really good. Havent heared anything bad about there seats yet.<p>Ebay is hilarious. For seats you see one auction thats says 425$ FREE SHIPPING. The same seller will have another auction goin for 325$ + 125$ shipping, its like huh? I emailed a few sellers to get the weight and demisions of the seats so I could calculate shipping, no one emails me back ;)
92 red rs
performance exhaust
zx2 struts and Eibach springs
turboed + stand alone when the cash is there
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

I talked to a guy on ebay about a group buy for some Tenzo-R seats once, average cost is about $50USD per set, shipped.
Spydie

Post by Spydie »

According to my ebay purchase I paid $1 for my seats and $749 for shipping.
JasonH

Post by JasonH »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Custommx3:
I talked to a guy on ebay about a group buy for some Tenzo-R seats once, average cost is about $50USD per set, shipped.<hr></blockquote>
Something about this doesn't make sense, but it could be a number of things. Care to clarify?<p>You're not saying Tenzo-R seats cost $25 each, are you?
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

No.. Im saying shipping for most seats are 40-50 bucks USD. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
JasonH

Post by JasonH »

Those who ordered the "cheap seats", please keep us posted. I'm interested in how the quality is and how comfortable/supportive they are. For that price, they're hard to pass up, but I'm in no hurry. I'll see how satisfied you guys are first.

Return to “Appearance”