ReCovering Door inserts

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
Absath

ReCovering Door inserts

Post by Absath »

Ok, this is a question for all of you who have accomplished this particular mod successfully.<p>basically, i want to recover my inserts. my roof plastic pieces and headliner are a nice light gray, but my seat and door inserts are this ugly, multicolored woven fabric.<p>i want to change them to the same (or similar) light gray as the roof.<p>the seats i'm going to take care of after i do the inserts. what i need to know is this:<p>cloth or vinyl? which would work better for me? if i go with cloth, what material is best suited for this project?<p>i've already stripped the material off of my passenger door insert. with a combination of degreaser and a blow dryer, i peeled away the fabric without tearin the foam backing, so half the work is done. now i need to find a good material to cover it with.<p>i want to get this one done before i start tearing apart my other panels. any suggestions? what about fiberglassing it, and then painting it? give me some help...<p>-Abs<p>[ May 21, 2003: Message edited by: Absath ]</p>
Don't park drunk, accidents cause people.

92 Blaze Red MX-3 GS, KL-ZE, ACT Clutch, KL 36 ECU, SS Clutch Line
airjordon_09

Re: ReCovering Door inserts

Post by airjordon_09 »

If you wanna resin it, i posted this awhile ago, hope it helps here<p>peace
JºrDôñ
Mx sold, gonna miss ya babe

gti_driven@hotmail.com
Absath

Post by Absath »

and that would be ok to paint over? like throw some primer, paint and clear coat on it for a cool look?<p>-Abs

airjordon_09

Post by airjordon_09 »

ya man, you dont even need to primer it, just put the resin down, let it dry, sand it perfect and then paint it then clear coat
JºrDôñ

gti_driven@hotmail.com
Absath

Post by Absath »

alright well, my passenger side door is stripped, and in the process of being fibreglassed.<p>i'm going to do this door before i worry about any of the other panels. <p>i've got 3 coats of resin on there now, and did a mild sanding after the second, to get some of the little bumps out.<p>tomorrow after work i'm going to give it a good sanding, put on a 4th coat, another sanding, 5th coat. Sand it again, do the 6th coat, and then sand it to what hopefully will be finish.<p>i'll post some pics when i'm all done, as well as some tips on doing it, from my experience.<p>-Abs

Spydie

Post by Spydie »

i didn't even resin it. i just removed the fabric and painted the rather smooth surface I found underneith. It looked better than you might think.....but I likely will redo it with the resin aswell.
http://members.cardomain.com/spydie
"So I said to my one legged wife, I said...'Peg', you're 'cut-off'."
Absath

Post by Absath »

well, i peeled off the fabric, and there was the layer of foam behind it. i left that on, because i had originally planned to cover it with fabric again. then i decided to do resin, so i ended up putting the resin on over it. *shrug*<p>now my only decisions (now that I know i'm using resin) is whether or not to bother peeling off the fabric on the rest of the panels, or leave it on there.<p>Also... when i'm done with the resin and the sanding, i'm going to want to paint the inserts. I want a light gray that will match my headliner and a-piller plastic. but i also don't want it to be glossy. i'd prefer a flat, or maybe a semi-gloss. but if i add clear coat, wont that make it glossy? is there a way to do this to get the look i want? any recommendation on paint?<p>-Abs

bikeguy18974

Post by bikeguy18974 »

As for the clear coat. You can get clear coat in non-glossy varieties. I know it comes in satin which is more like a semigloss. Just try it on something else to see if you like it first.
MrMX3

Post by MrMX3 »

are you guys just using a resin/hardener mixture? No fiberglass matting at all? And just applying it right to the foam? I've got the material peeled off of mine too and if I can get away with just using resin, that's what i'm gonna do!
Mike
1993 MX-3 GS
2.5l KL-ZE
My Cardomain Page
Spydie

Post by Spydie »

yes....that's right. Of coarse that's optional. I haven't resined. I just sprayed the crap outa the foam with enamel paint. Results look amazing but I have noticed that my arm is faintly rubbing the paint off from leaning on it so much. Eventually I will redo it with the resin as well.
http://members.cardomain.com/spydie
"So I said to my one legged wife, I said...'Peg', you're 'cut-off'."
D_Gagne

Post by D_Gagne »

sorry toi rune the topic but darren what kind of aluminum spoiler did you have? can you e amil me pics and asize and does that spoiler come in a dual stacked also?thanx and sorry for the rune of the topic
92 mx3,lime green paint 18 inch motegi mr7's,blitz front n rear bumper,fx side skirts,isotta wheel,ractive seats,ractive gtr aluminum wing,apexi exhaust, www.cardomain.com/id/livin_lime_mazda
Absath

Post by Absath »

well, what started as simply fibreglassing the door inserts has turned into fibreglassing the whole interior.<p>what do you guys think? i did my insert on the passenger side panel, and i really like how it turned out. the smoothness is pretty pimp. so i started imagining the whole car like that.<p>i've just laid down the first layer of fibreglass resin on my passenger side door panel. i'm going to finish that first before i start doing the other panels. i'm then going to paint the insert a light gray, and the rest of the panel a flat black. if it turns out well, i'll be working on my whole interior.<p>if i botch it, i'll be looking to buy a new panel :D <p>what do you guys think? has this been done before? any pics? any comments or suggestions?<p>-Abs

airjordon_09

Post by airjordon_09 »

are you asking if people have fibre-glassed their whole interior?? the only people i know of was killer mx-3 and myself, i started doing just the doors, then ended up doing the whole car, looks awesome
JºrDôñ

gti_driven@hotmail.com
Absath

Post by Absath »

cool. yeah i'm planning on doing the whole interior.<p>will prob take a while, but i think it will be worth it. you have any pics of your interior jordan?<p>also, how do you find it holds up? did you paint the fiberglass? how long have you had it? any chipping, cracking of the fiberglass or paint? wearing off?<p>-Abs

airjordon_09

Post by airjordon_09 »

no pics as of yet, smashed my digital camera, dont ask long story, i love my interior being done, looks amazing especially the dash when the sun hits it it kinda blinds you, holds up perfect, just gotta be extra careful when doing **** inside the car cause it can mark just like anything<p>
peace
JºrDôñ

gti_driven@hotmail.com

Return to “Appearance”