Check out my new paint job

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
992mmx3

Re: Check out my new paint job

Post by 992mmx3 »

How much is $8000 Canadian in U.S. dollars? Good job on the car. PPG is the best on the market I believe too when it comes to paint. Looks like you did it all now, and did it all right, if you had to pay extra to have it done, then you treated your car right. Now just find a winterbeater and keep it off the roads in the winter. ;)
-Mark Lathrop
1992 MX-3 RS-T
B6T with some goodies

"...I told those fudgepackers I liked Michael Bolton's music..."
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

I wasnt flaming him, actually, custom flame jobs on a car are expensive. Some comanies to have a perfect paint job can cost the upwards of 10,000 USD.
http://www.barrykclark.com/pix/LR/
thats about a $6000 USD flamejob.
Johns93GS

Post by Johns93GS »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Custommx3:
Well, the paint job going on my GS is worth minimum of 7000USD, keep in mind In just paying for supplies because I'll be prepping it and my sponsors painting it, but thats 10X more than I paid for the car. It all depends on the person. Mines going to be a competition show paintjob and thats only cause they want it to be (hey if I can get one for just supplies, wouldnt you? His may be the same, or he has high sentimental value for his car.<hr></blockquote><p>Barry, did you already get your GS painted?? Got any pics??
john kilfoyle .:. mx-3 fanatic
http://www.cardomain.com/id/johnmx3
Rushton

Post by Rushton »

hey, thanx to the couple of you that acctually left possitive feedback. everyone else, go to any half decent bodyshop, and ask how much for a show quality paint job, then, when you figure out that it's acctually expensive to get a good paint job, not your lame *** POS paint jobs.
Johns93GS

Post by Johns93GS »

Whoa dude, chill out. I didn't post about your paint job before, but I like it! How long did it take to seamlessly integrate the flames in with the Viper Silver? It looks really good! :D
john kilfoyle .:. mx-3 fanatic
http://www.cardomain.com/id/johnmx3
JCali

Post by JCali »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by BumpNGlow:
he said it WOULD have cost 8k... I'm sure most ppl wouldn't drop 8k down, but he didn't have to either. I think the painjob looks decent. Its not my style, but its not my car either. I can't believe everyone if flaming this kid for spending too much money, when we are all on this board b/c we like to spend money on our car. My stereo cost me more than my car is worth, and I'm far from done. Add in lights, TV/in car entertainment, and I could have gotten a better car...... but it would be stock, and that's no fun.<hr></blockquote><p>
Now I can understand paying that much for that stuff. Cause you can take out that stuff and put it in your new car. With a paint job you can get stuck with it and you are screwed if it scratched up or something. I think paint is a little over done...paying 6 grand or whatever...that's a little much...I would rather build a custom turbo.
curtklze

Post by curtklze »

Time for me to say some very bad things. :( <p>Anyone that said anything bad about the cost of the paint job is a total retard, Jcali knows nothing, is green with envy, thats why he says that crap.<p>No body that posted works for a body shop in Canada. And 2/3 of the people cant read.<p>HE DIDNT PAY $8000.00 USD, HE DIDNT PAY $8000.00 CDN<p>$8000.00 CDN is what it would cost one of your cheap *** 's to duplicate that paint job at an extreamly good body shop.<p>Leave the guy alone, he doesnt go into the stero forum and say" you spent $10,000.00 USD on a stero, thats dumb, your car is noisy but it looks like ****", so why you gotta come HERE and bash his paint job?<p>It doesnt matter what it looks like in the pic or what colour it is, the cost is in the labour and the skill. It costs a hell of alot to remove EVERY little dent properly, make every panel straight, make all the door, hood, and fender gaps straight and even, make sure the bumper gaps are all even, not just slap a bunch of bondo all over the car, sand it with 400 grit paper and paint it. <p>Just to wet sand and polish a car is $1000.00 CDN.<p>
Sorry, but I cant stand STUPID people, anybody can go to macco and spend 600.00 on a crap paint job. If you have never priced out how much a FLAWLESS paint job costs, then please dont post about things you dont know.<p>[ April 29, 2003: Message edited by: curtklze ]</p>
DONT SHIP WITH UPS!!! DIE UPS DIE!!!!!
Yes, I AM a bastard
Here is my web site, I made this last year but didnt feel like shareing it untill now.
http://members.rogers.com/curts-klze/

How does this guy know so much?
He's a licenced BMW technician.
Coodoodxx

Post by Coodoodxx »

man its funny to see people just bash other people on this thing, i didn't know it was meant for that, people have there own personal preferance, and if most of you could read, he said he got it done for cheap cause he works at a body shop, he said it would have been 8000 bucks if he didn't work there, and im sure its a hell of alot better paint then anyplace that is gonna do it for 3500
'93 mx-3, 1.8L V6, Red
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Johns93GS:
<p>Barry, did you already get your GS painted?? Got any pics??<hr></blockquote><p>Prolly wont even be painted this year maybe next summer thats if the work is done, were doing alot of custom body work, (still comming up with designs). Were gonna change up the body quite a bit and get rid of that heavy arse hatch.
Were gonna paint it blue and I'll get some bronze wheels for it. Its gonan take some time, we got headlights to make :)
JCali

Post by JCali »

Even still CurtKLZE...I'm not jealous. Cause his paint job looks all riced out...Flames don't belong on Imports...nor do undercarriage lights belong on old Hot rods. Maaco isn't the place I'm talking about EarlSchieb is a kick-*** paint shop. Cause all of my buddies get their work done there. It awesome work they tape everything down and clean up the car. Fix any dents or scratches and put a pearl paint job on top of that. I think his paint job is stupid...and I'm going to share my opinion about it. <p>JCali
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

Some people just don't understand how much work goes into a "perfect" paint job. I know first hand how long it takes. I helped do this one paint job that included 120 coats of clear over burgandy metal flake. The choice of color left a little to be desired but the finished effect blew even MY mind. People don't understand you have to sand after EVERY coat of primer, paint and clear coat. We're not talkin a quick sand job, but you have to sand it to perfection. <p>As a painter it kinda bothers me how people can take our work for granted. Just like if I was to say that if you can turn a wrench you can build an engine. A LOT of "unrealized" steps go into making anything work or look perfect. Just an FYI.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Custommx3:
Well, the paint job going on my GS is worth minimum of 7000USD, keep in mind In just paying for supplies because I'll be prepping it and my sponsors painting it, but thats 10X more than I paid for the car. It all depends on the person. Mines going to be a competition show paintjob and thats only cause they want it to be (hey if I can get one for just supplies, wouldnt you? His may be the same, or he has high sentimental value for his car.<hr></blockquote><p>Barry this is what you gotta do. (if you like the flame effect) I dunno how your sponsors would like it, but if you like it, that's what matters. I was gunna tell you earlier today, but I had to run. <p>You mask off the car in the flame pattern. (looks awesome with a tribal type flame) But you spray like 4 or 5 coats of clear coat. Then remove the masking and spray again with 4 or 5 more coats of clear. This creates a ridge in the clear coat. They're called "ghost flames" and you can only see them when the light hits it just right. I dunno if you've heard of it before, but I think it's an awesome effect. Or you can use a pink or orange pearl in the flame clear which will make the flames look semi realistic.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

Ive painted flames before, but thanks for theinfo. I just went to another paint class last week, they showed us all these again, but they also showed us how to make paint look marbleized. I agree, people have no idea what it takes to get a show quality paint job. We spend about 6 hrs on the fenders and the hood of that Jeep we were working on. Funny story, the guy who painted it took it out for the 2nd time, and a guy had a wreck looking @ it. Had to be the best feeling in the world, sad, but hillarious.
bout2001

Post by bout2001 »

for my opinion i think the paint is what will make people look at your car. If you have a car taht you want people to look at it, i think you must have a custom paint on it. I always get compliments for my paint but not for the rest of the car.
chameleon paint, g-force kit, black and blue vinyl interior
web site :http://pages.infinit.net/mx3/

Post by Guest »

hey rushton, i live in medicine hat too, havent seen your car around yet with the new paint job, paint looks good, which body shop did you get it done at?

Return to “Appearance”