Need some ideas for Projector headlights.

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Need some ideas for Projector headlights.

Post by Custommx3 »

Were still in the developmental stage, any and all Ideas are welcome.
mrspanky79

Post by mrspanky79 »

the brighter the better when you dont live in a city you realy see how bad or lights suck!
War does not determine who is right, war determine who is left!

94 mx3 GSX Stroked Turbo'd and Intercooled
99 vitara 4x4
992mmx3

Post by 992mmx3 »

too many blinkers would look kind of dumb, I have the front blinkers, plus sidemarkers and most people still have the front ones already, so I'd just say leave out the one in the headlight.
-Mark Lathrop
1992 MX-3 RS-T
B6T with some goodies

"...I told those fudgepackers I liked Michael Bolton's music..."
millionflame

Post by millionflame »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Dephekt:
.....but they can lower the wattage a bit or something.....<hr></blockquote><p>Actually, HIDs ARE lower wattage. They only use 35W.<p> <blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Dephekt:
Its crazy that car company's get away with making lights that bright.<hr></blockquote><p>They're probably aimed wrong if you're seeing blind spots after. North Americans are notorious for not aiming their headlights properly all the time, unlike Europeans who do it every time they change something on their car.<p>~A
~ Millionflame (94 GS 120K)
Balhirath

Post by Balhirath »

I like idea that reklez have about the two big lights, but is there room for that ?
And second, please keep the turn signal out of the headlights. The Four lamp Hi/low beam system is much better.<p>I still like the look of the mx-5's headlights, but unfortunately I cant seem to find a picture that fits well eough for me to see how they would look on a MX-3. Could some one please try this out?<p>While searching I found this pict <p>and I cany quite decide if I like those headlights or not. They are perhaps a bit too large for the car, but otherwise rather cool.
What do you guys say?Image<p>[ May 01, 2003: Message edited by: Balhirath ]</p>
Taras

Post by Taras »

Regarding those Mx-6 lights. Why you guys are so infatuated with them is beyond me. May be angel eyes do it. They are the current fad, aren't they. Look at those lights closer. Nice small round design, clear lens and semi-multi-reflector surface. Lightsource? Perhaps H3 (good for fog lights) - lights look pretty shallow. Oh, must not forget the cool-blue andel eye. However, does anyone see a decent shield in a low beam? Shield usually be black, positioned on the bottom of the bulb and be used to block that upper part of the beam. All stock lights have them. Otherwise you will be blinding people. To me those look like they are identical for hi and low beam, except that one hooks to low and another to hi beam circuity. Those are not even projectors, just an cheap imitation (projectors usually have a glass curved lens). Just two very small (read: crappy output) auxiliary driving lights. I would be very surprised if they have any depth or width (in the beam pattern) to them, but they look cool. Too bad the owner of those did not have a chance to post an on the wall or down the road beam pictures. Another great idea by APC or similar: make cheap reflector based round lights with clear lens and angel eye, and why make them different for low and hi beam, that would cost more, make them the same, who will notice as long as they imitate projectors and have angel eyes in them, people that know no better will buy them, and if they can't see at night it is their problem. And when people want better output they will keep the above mentioned and go to eBay and buy those HID kits with an H3 rebased Asian made blue tinted HID capsules. Stick it in there, than it will blind less than those factory supplied by BMW, Audi, Mercedes or Lexus Philips/Hella/Bosch/Denso made HID parts that those companies spend millions of dollars in reasearch for.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
Taras

Post by Taras »

Regarding being blinded by "BMW, Audi or Merc" or others HID lights. Dephekt - why do you look straight at them? I mean, do you look straight into the light of your 300w floor halogen lamp at home? No wonder you get blinded. <p>Sure people's eyes will be drawn to a brighter object (HID) or the one that looks different (you can always pick out a beautiful woman in a line up, right?) But do not stare straight at it or as you expect to be blinded or slapped in the face.<p>Again, BMW or whatever lights do not blind, except certain conditions such as in the curve or cresting a hill, but then all lights will blind and your DOT ones especially. You may be getting the effect of a crisp cut-off in the beam that may go up an down as vehicle passes over bumps, and it may seem like they "flash" you. Sure HID's are 2-3 times brighter than halogens, but factory made are properly focused on the road and not in your eyes, unless you stare at them.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
Taras

Post by Taras »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr> While searching I found this pict
and I cany quite decide if I like those headlights or not. They are perhaps a bit too large for the car, but otherwise rather cool.
What do you guys say
<hr></blockquote><p>Umm, that person forgot to put a "Civic" sticker on his winshield. That is for Civic headlights. Is our car Honda? As for light quality, they will still suck.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

I guess I will add my two cents on the BMW thing. The Xenon light systems on the late model BMWs have self leveling Xenons. They stay at license plate height. They are the same as on the new MINI. Some other luxury brands do not self level.
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
Taras

Post by Taras »

Only the newest systems like on 03 Saab can self adjust to road imperfections. The rest of them even up to 2003 systems are only load sensing. So if you have two adults in the back they will adjust, but if you are hitting bumps, they will not. So you will still have the bouncing effect. Regadless, they should not blind in regular straight road driving.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
neverenuff
Supporting Member

Post by neverenuff »

Well guys and gals I think this is what Barry agreed would be the housing. Unless things have changed this is the mold he is working on now. As far as the lights are concerned, well im not sure but last I heard it was going to be between $200-$250 for the set. The good thing is if I am not mistaken the housing is going to come unpainted so we can paint it to what ever we want, and two we have the option of geting the cover for the lens. Any way we look at it Barry is the only person so far tring to mass produce aftermarket headlights; so, we cant go wrong with this purchas. I know that some of you dont like this set up and that some of you absalutly love it (me being one of them). So hey we cant go wrong by giving Barry so more help. So lets keep the ideas and pics coming. Befor we know it we will be driving with some clearity at nite not dullness. Oh and for those who havent seen the housing here it is. <p> Image
[IMG]
Swego

Post by Swego »

Whoa! Just read through all of the above posts! I was thinking of making projector lights for myself a while ago and I'm happy to see someone else is interested in the project. If you use DOT approved projector lights by Hellas or whatever, you lose the DOT approval if you install a clear lense in front of the light. You can always have the lights approved with the clear lense, but it would cost around half a million I've been told. If you want the carbon fiber look and reduce cost augmentation: you can mold 1 or 2 layers of CF into the mold and add Fiberglass layers on the back. 1 or 2 layers of CF would be enough depending on the weave you're using.
millionflame

Post by millionflame »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Swego:
If you use DOT approved projector lights by Hellas or whatever, you lose the DOT approval if you install a clear lense in front of the light. You can always have the lights approved with the clear lense, but it would cost around half a million I've been told.<hr></blockquote><p>Can you show me where you found out this info?<p>I think you're wrong.<p>The clear lense wont un-approve them from DOT regulations. Do you honestly see ANY OEM vehicles with projectors out on the road WITHOUT a clear lense?<p>No one would buy them because most people aren't willing to clean inside of a light pod and take the projectors out to clean them.<p>DOT regulations are SOO loose (and stupid) that you can get away with a lot.<p>~A
Taras

Post by Taras »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>No one would buy them because most people aren't willing to clean inside of a light pod and take the projectors out to clean them.<hr></blockquote><p>Umm, you wouldn't need to take your lights apart to clean them. If the pods are like on the JapJap Black Mx-3 then you can clean then as they are. Hella makes exact ones for Focus, Audi A3, GolfIV and Scania/Volvo Trucks. So no need for a clear lense, it is just an unnecessary expense.<p>Hella H9 units are DOT appoved, so are the Xenon D2S based ones. If you mount those units in the light pod, no one will have any questions. If you place a clear Polycarbonate lens in fornt of it, they are technically non-DOT compliant then, but who will ask questions anyway.<p>Well, I am off to Europe for 7 weeks. You guys have fun. May be when I come back it will all be said and done. Good luck.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
millionflame

Post by millionflame »

Taras, if you can clean the projectors normally, why did Herman take his out and use like 5 differnt bowls with alchol, distilled water, and dish soap to clean them???<p>I didn't know about the lense either, and it doesn't make sense.....but, what ever does with DOT?! They suck monkey balls.<p>Have fun on your trip. Make sure to steal lots of Xenon lights while over there! j/k :D <p>~A

Return to “Appearance”