Need some ideas for Projector headlights.

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
Taras

Re: Need some ideas for Projector headlights.

Post by Taras »

Barry, if Hella 90mm modules are used for the projectors, then they have their own adjusting screws. No need to adjust the whole headlight assembly and you can make it simpler, just a fixed set-up. In fact it is advisable to have projectors adjust individually, otherwise you have to set the difference between hi and lo beams right into your front cover and this will be difficult if people use different projectors. Most people end up having separately adjutable projectors anyway, unless you get APS H3 pos ones. All of Hella 90mm/120mm, standard OEM halogen or HID ones could be had with adjusting screws. So, may this will make things simpler. Regards.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
neverenuff
Supporting Member

Post by neverenuff »

Hey JMD you have been doing your homework hu? Good job it all sounds good to me. the faster we get these ideas out there the faster we get these things on our car. so everybody please keep the ideas coming. just make sure you read the entire post so that you dont repeat someone elses idea.
Ruben MX-3

Post by Ruben MX-3 »

oh so the lens can come off if we want them to ?
Taras

Post by Taras »

Thanks NEVER EC,
I can't say that I am an expert, but have been reading a lot lately as I am working on my lights right now. I think that new headlights for MX will be great, as stock lighting is poor. Just wish that this project will end up simple and felxible that also will yield a great lighting quality primarily, not just another APC type headlight that looks nice and ricey, but as far as being able to see at night, be worse than our stock lights.<p>My wish is for the front cover like in the black Mx with dual projectors, based hopefully on Hella 90mm units with mounting for them inside, so they could be adjusted individually. Forget the clear cover (Hella projectors got their own glass front cover), forget the cool-this year angel-eyes, forget the carbon fibre, forget the extra blinker. It just would be nice the see well at night.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
Steeb

Post by Steeb »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Balhirath:
]:D<p>[ April 19, 2003: Message edited by: Steeb ]</p>
mx3frik

Post by mx3frik »

Another idea... Once you have the angle of the lights figured out (for aiming etc) and if the dimensions of all the housings produced will be relatively identical, maybe we could bug you to mold some levels into the back of the light so we can just aim them by looking at the position of the bubbles, like how they have it in some new cars?<p>My 1 penny worth. Sorry about restating your idea earlier, been getting 2-3 hour sleep lately for the past weeks and looked throught this thread pretty quickly too..<p>Eugene
FMSMX3

Post by FMSMX3 »

I was really excited when I saw this discussion. I'm can't wait to see the final product, and hope I can afford it. JDM definatly has the right idea, these lights first and foremost should be about preformance. I like the projector beam style that Hella makes for the focus, and I like the ones that are on that black MX. However, my car is red and I'm not sure how good they'll look on it. So my only concession to style is that these lights should look like they belong on an MX-3. I've gotton a lot of compliments on the looks of my car from complete strangers. Most of them think it is much newer then a '92. That is why I think something like the RX-8 lights might be better, someone posted a pic of these on the first page of the thread. That is, the lights should look like they came that way from Mazda. Even if the lights are just two projectors inside I think they should have some sort of clear cover to them, just to make them look like they fit. Well that is my opinion anyway. Oh, and I want to thank Barry for starting this project, many of us are waiting to see the results.
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

We started the mold friday, but saturday we realized we had an issue with it and was going to have top be remade. Saturday he was behind so little work could be done and Sunday was Easter of course. Were gonna try and redo the mold maybe tonight.<p>Everyones been saying Hella lights, but we may have to stick with 1 type of light. If someone can, post pics of the actual lights your referring too. We will need dimensions as well.<p>I may buy those lights and design the mold around them, but leave it up to you to get them for your own headlights and we sell just the shell.
millionflame

Post by millionflame »

Barry, I would definately stick with Hella 90mm modules.<p>They are prety much the universal projector now and are used in many OEM cars too.<p>Here is what they look like from the back, for mounting and stuff.<p>Back of Hella 90mm<p>This is a front view.<p>Front View of Hella 90mm<p>This page will show you various views of it as well.<p>Hella 90mm Pics<p>More.<p>Hella 90mm<p>Last one - side view.<p>Side View of Hella 90mm<p>Barry, that should give you the best idea of the lights. I can find more as well, these were just what I could find on short notice for you.<p>Hella projectors are the best and offer the best versatility I think.<p>You can get H7 and H9 modules. Low and high beams as well. Low beams are projectors, and high beams are relectors.<p>As well, in the future if you wanted, an upgrade to Hella 90mm HID projectors is jut a simple "drop-in" after that. And, Bi-Xenons as well with minimal modification to the assembly.<p>Let us know how it turns out eh!<p>~A
~ Millionflame (94 GS 120K)
Pimpn1l2

Post by Pimpn1l2 »

the link didn't work. Try showing the pics with the message
If you love something let if go, if it comes back to you it's yours. If it doesn't, it never was.
millionflame

Post by millionflame »

Alright, here.<p>Go Here And Look At The Pictures<p>Hella Modules<p>Herman is regarded as one of the most knowledable headlight people there are, so he knows his stuff.<p>I post on his forum too.<p>~A
~ Millionflame (94 GS 120K)
Taras

Post by Taras »

Barry, <p>I would suggest we stick with Hella modules. You have a choice of 90mm or 120mm modules in high, low, fog or xenon formats as well as H7, H9 and for xenon D2S bulbs. D2S and H9 are DOT approved as well, not sure on H7 ones. I think that we may have to go with 90mm modules due to space limitations. Here is couple of links that you may find useful:
90mm Module pics and some dimensions
Hella Catalogue 90/120mm modules (see page 5)
Where to Buy Hella Products<p>Barry, I do suggest to give Puma USA a call, I have posted a phone number before in the first pages of this thread. They are one of the most reliable suppliers of 90mm modules and at a good price. They can also supply you with Hella spec sheets as to exact dimensions.<p>I hope that this helps.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
Pimpn1l2

Post by Pimpn1l2 »

what is the final projector light going to look like? Is it going to be just one light or just a casing and you can put in whatever light that you would like.
If you love something let if go, if it comes back to you it's yours. If it doesn't, it never was.
Taras

Post by Taras »

I think we are aiming for that Black Mx-3 look with quad projectors.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
Balhirath

Post by Balhirath »

I really look forward to see those lights.. especially since i've always thought that the MX-3 stock light is rather weak.<p>I also look forward to see that new lip that Barry was talking about :)

Return to “Appearance”