17' Rims

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
Franko
Supporting Member

17' Rims

Post by Franko »

Yeah so I bought these 17' rims for my car with 40's on them. The car handles like a dream but today someone told me that having rims on your car is bad for it because it is not designed for them .. I think that this is a load of $hit. How could the rims be bad on the car? it dosent come with them because the car would be about 2 grand more to buy.. Someone back me up on this.
I happened to mention that the tie rod end was a little loose on my car and they said that it was because of the rims.. I think that it is a load of crap plus they said that the front strut tower brace does NOTHING... I could not be more sure that if I took the strut bar out that I would definately notice a difference.. Somebody tell me that I am right here!
93 MX3, BP, Haltech E6X, Bully Six Puck Clutch, Pauter Rods, Wiseco Pistons, Port and Polish, Turbonetics T3/T4 Ball Bearing turbo and a partridge in a pear tree.
Jarod

Re: 17' Rims

Post by Jarod »

I really see no physical explanation as to why he would think aftermarket rims would be bad for a car.<p>The only thing i see is that the wheel diameter might change, so the speedo might be off, but bigger wheels should give you more rubber-pavement contact, and better traction.
NateDog

Post by NateDog »

tur tru, the more rubber u lay the better traction u r going to get. plus.... <p>that stupid person told u that a strut brace doesnt do anything? for one it does. it stiffens your chassis giving u better handeling.
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

Let me guess...the person that told you this drives a 1980 something VW rabbit that has like 300,000 miles on it?? He's full of it. Aftermarket rims do no harm to your car, and the strut bar DOES help.
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
Franko
Supporting Member

Post by Franko »

Yeah.. this guy thinks that a domestic car with just under 200 000 km's on it is a good car and that those neon licence plate things are cool...
OUTRAGEOUS! Thanks guys.. I needed reassuring that I wasent going crazy.. Then again I can rember a while ago he said that a turbo didnt do anything... I couldent believe my ears when he said that.. He is a good guy but sometimes he dosent know what in the allmighty jesus he is talking about =)
93 MX3, BP, Haltech E6X, Bully Six Puck Clutch, Pauter Rods, Wiseco Pistons, Port and Polish, Turbonetics T3/T4 Ball Bearing turbo and a partridge in a pear tree.
992mmx3

Post by 992mmx3 »

strut tower bars prevent chassis flex, if you really want to demonstrate this, take it off and press down on one of your fenders, look how the side of where pushing down goes down when you press on it, then put it back on and press on the same fender, the car as a whole will go down when pressed upon. I put my front one on first, pushed down on the right side fender, the whole front end moved as a whole, moved to the back and pushed on the right side, only the right side moved. Also noticed a difference driving over pot holes, no longer was my steering wheel jolting to one side of the road, it just went straight over it with no probs, there a simple and good mod, muscle car owners have been using these for years. Just for kicks you should ask him what he thinks about roll cages. hehe. :D
-Mark Lathrop
1992 MX-3 RS-T
B6T with some goodies

"...I told those fudgepackers I liked Michael Bolton's music..."
JasonH

Post by JasonH »

If your 17s are really heavy (and many are) they can put more stress on your suspension components, not to mention give you a crappy ride. Just running even the heaviest 17s won't really hurt your car, but it will make suspension bushings and the like wear faster, and if any part of the suspension was ready to fail, they could push them over the edge.<p>That being said, a reasonably light 17" wheel should do no more damage than a stock wheel.<p>Strut tower braces are effective at tying strut towers together, but they're way down the list of things that will make your car handle better. Like 12th, or 15th.
rayrrod

Post by rayrrod »

Some where i read a post by Vaughn Nashimure or steve not sure who but he was saying the strut towers do not do much to the mx3. Ask him.<p>The 17 inch wheels are too heavy IMHO. Do a search on wheels and you will see many posts of ppl trying to get rid of them. I think 16 inchers are better for the performance/looks ratio.
You will not see many ppl getting rid of the 16 in wheels.
Also wider is not better. Think high school physics or winter ice. when on thin ice does one stand or lay down so not to fall into the cold water?
standing is like skinny tire, more weight down, laying down is like wide tire, less weight so wider tire has more hydroplaning. (less traction? on wet road? i have spung out using 225x50x15 on wet road.
but whatever you decide is fine, its your ride after all. Those towers do look good!!

Return to “Appearance”