Altezzas....can I paint them inside?

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
appe

Altezzas....can I paint them inside?

Post by appe »

The altezza taillights looks great on silver and red cars because the lights has those colors in it. Would it be possible to paint the silverpart in altezza to bluegreenmetallic?
Angel
Sonicxtacy02

Re: Altezzas....can I paint them inside?

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

heat the housing enough to get the seal off, then paint (dunno what paint you would use), heat it back up, replace the cover and let it fuse itself back together. It seems as easy as that but i wouldnt try it. What color are you thinkin of doin?
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sonicxtacy02:<BR><STRONG>heat the housing enough to get the seal off, then paint (dunno what paint you would use), heat it back up, replace the cover and let it fuse itself back together. It seems as easy as that but i wouldnt try it. I know they would be illegal in the states but maybe its different there.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

im planning the same with mine. its very simple. just remove the altezzas from your car including anything heat-sensitive such as the bulbs and wires. (duh) then heat it up in a oven (i think this method is more user-friendly and simpler) for about 10 minutes at 200 degrees...then remove the lens (ive done this with the headlight so im not too sure what kind of glue was used for the altezzas) and then do whatever you planned on doing. before heating the altezza and the lens to put back together, let the paint fully dry first and then installation is the reverse. im planning to make my housing black. =D
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
appe

Post by appe »

I would like to have the same color as my car greenbluemetallic...
Angel
lstpier
Supporting Member

Post by lstpier »

Can someone with Altezza confirm if lens is sealed with clear silicone sealant or if seal is invible. If silicone was used heat will not do any good. If no seal is apparent, ultrasonic welding or methyl-chloride were used and only way to separate the lens would be to break it.
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

most likely it is silicone because there were some cases where people's altezzas would fog up...plus i dont think they're made THAT durable. its just altezzas.
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Post by monty73741 »

the problem is the expensense....<BR>i dont think any one want to ruin there 350 dollar tails.......matrixracing.com has them for like 150......<BR>jason
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com

Post by Guest »

Ive been putting alot of thought into this, and ive decided when i get my car painted in the spring im going black. Because I want to do this with my lights, its really not that hard of a thing to do, the hardest part will be picking the right paint, you want something that will have a bit of lustre, but in all its a good idea. I liked the look of them at first but now I just dont like that chrome look.

Post by Guest »

k i made this tonight just to get an idea of how it will look, it'll look cooler on a black car, and i dont know weather to leave that bit of chrome or not.<p>
[Let me fix this for ya]
http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/show_image.pl?image=260000-260999%2F260988_1 4_full.jpg<p>[ December 27, 2002: Message edited by: Custommx3 ]</p>

Post by Guest »

haha thanks man!
992mmx3

Post by 992mmx3 »

That looks pretty cool sureshiit.
-Mark Lathrop
1992 MX-3 RS-T
B6T with some goodies

"...I told those fudgepackers I liked Michael Bolton's music..."

Return to “Appearance”