Possibly new Light Mod

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Possibly new Light Mod

Post by Mnemonic »

Ok so ive been looking at all these clear sides, turn signals that have nice bulbs but ugly colors produced. Started thinking how can we get bright light with the actual true colors not just crappy color. so while sittin in my room i thought about when i used Amps to run my neons in my car to hit when the bass hits unlike using those neons that do it by themselfs, and it struck me that it is very possible to make neons as your side and turn signals, 1 they have <BR>them very small now, 2 have similar wattage/voltage, 3 colors are way better, 4 last alot longer than bulbs, i havent had time to test my ""theory"" out but it is very possible so next payday ill go pick so up and see what happens unless someone test it out with some old ones, this could also work for strobes, any way im out thought i would share with u guys. This may have been done already but i didnt know so now IM posting about it he he he<P><BR>Brian
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
marshmallow15

Re: Possibly new Light Mod

Post by marshmallow15 »

its possible. its been done on numerous hondas and mitsubishis around here. before doing it, you should check your local laws first.
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

and you must take it apart to get the neons in the marker.
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

well the law in my county is u can have neons just cant see the bulbs and no blue or red
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

DVH

Post by DVH »

Sorry, they already have LED's , why would someone want neon???? :P<P>LED produce way better colour than anything and lasts forever!<P>U can get the LED's now that fit s in ur turn signal, side marker, etc<P>Still neon is an idea, but who would actually buy it??<P>amyways, later
Derek Van Horne MX-3.com Member # 33
94 MX-3 Silver Stone Metallic CAR is SOLD
Car Domain Web page MX-3
Car Domain Web page SRT-4
BumpNGlow

Post by BumpNGlow »

LEDs will put off a ton more light that the neons would. You could also look into small cathodes... those put off a good amount of light, but LEDs are still the best way to go.
FOR SALE, AS A PARTS CAR

1994 Mazda MX-3 <-- 152dB's w/ 1 15
> Invited to '02 USACi World Finals, but did not compete due to stock alternator problems.
> Can't go to '03 USACi World Finals because I HAVE NOTHING LEFT!!
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

ok if i were to buy some 15ma leds from radio shack, can they be ready to tap into the dome light power source to provide a brighter dome light? or will i need some type of diode to hook up the + and -?
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
airjordon_09

Post by airjordon_09 »

i picked up a sick sick set of blue LED turning siginals, they are way better then neons, and mine are sooooo bright at night and even during the day, i will get some pics posted soon, lol derek, thats another thing i meant to show you on the "day of hell" lol
JºrDôñ
Mx sold, gonna miss ya babe

gti_driven@hotmail.com
Psyrg

Post by Psyrg »

You may want to note that LEDs are current controlled devices rather than voltage controlled devices (which would be easier, as we have a constant 12 volt source). It would be wise to install a current limiting device to the +12V line that controls the LEDs to prevent you from getting into trouble with nasty stuff like thermal run away.<P>LEDs are interesting devices as they are a form of diode, as the name implies. They have a turn on voltage, but once they are on their internal resistance drops quickly and they will draw as much current if allowed to. Too much current will cause them to dissipate too much power into heat, and they'll burn out.<P>A simple form of current limiter is a simple transistor and resistor combo, but the value of the resistor and the efficency of the system will differ greatly depending on the current required. More advanced current sources can be constructed using switch mode power supplies. I suggest you get your local electronics guru to build you a sutable current source.<P>Cheers<BR>Psyrg
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

well he is right leds arnt so brite from side views, but the rest of u are correct they last forever

mmonid

Post by mmonid »

Has anybody done a middle brake light conversion to LED? I think it would look amazing to put clear LED's that turn red when they are on (new Yamaha R1 style).
Matthew Monid

1993 MX-3 RS 5-Speed (Sold)/1997 Volvo 850 AWD Turbo 5-Speed
DVH

Post by DVH »

mine are.....
Derek Van Horne MX-3.com Member # 33
94 MX-3 Silver Stone Metallic CAR is SOLD
Car Domain Web page MX-3
Car Domain Web page SRT-4
mmonid

Post by mmonid »

Did you leave the red lens in? I looked at your pictures, and it looks stock. I guess it is hard to tell unless they are lit up. Did you do the job yourself or did you find a kit?
Matthew Monid

1993 MX-3 RS 5-Speed (Sold)/1997 Volvo 850 AWD Turbo 5-Speed
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

I have LED's in my headlights.<P> Image

Return to “Appearance”