short shifters

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
exogen

short shifters

Post by exogen »

well i've been thinking about future mods to my car a lot lately... and it's come to my attention more than anything that i'm very, very low on budget... heh :)

so aside from not being able to do much as far as upgrades are concerned, i did think of spending the money into something rather inexpensive. would any of you guys find a short shifter a good buy for a '95 MX-3? if anything, i find my seat to be reclined more than anything, and sometimes i feel lazy shifting to 3rd :) is there any way to maybe adjust the shifter to be higher up than stock but have shorter throws?

anyway, i'm just looking for some general advice / insight from people who have installed and driven with short-shifters. im looking at getting the pace-setter.. are they any good?

get back to me
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: short shifters

Post by Custommx3 »

Its one of the few and probably the most inexpensive one for the mx-3. Its also adjustable. My buddy bough the b&m, then went out and got a pacesetter because he liked mine better.
exogen

Post by exogen »

but by "adjustable" do you mean adjustable to be longer than stock?

:werd:
mx3TT
Supporting Member

Post by mx3TT »

The Pacesetter short shifter has an adjustable ball that can go higher or lower. I have it and I love it. You can adjust it to how short you want the throw and most likely you wont even be close to the shortest it can go. :pimp:
Chris

MY MX-3 PICTURES
MX-3.com's online store - SUPPORT MX-3.COM
exogen

Post by exogen »

great :) now are these hard to install at all? for someone who sucks at anything hands-on
Tyler17rose

Post by Tyler17rose »

The install is a sinch.

You need:

A Jack, Jack stands (to be safe)
A socket set and wrench set. (to remove the bolt holding the shifter to the shifter linkage.)

1) Remove the trim around the shifter, and shift knob.
2)Remove the spring clip holding the shifter in.
3) Jack car up and remove the bolt at the bottom of the shifter.
4) Get back in and pull up on the shifter and remove all peices on it.
5) Transfer over the plastic peices and install on the new shifter. GREASE WELL on ball.
5) Reinstall.

I have mine set at the lowest setting. I love it. The throws are like a inch from neutral in every gear. Be warned. It takes about a week of driving to work in the new shifter before it shifts like butter. I dont really know why, but it just does.

Later.
Mods:
- ZE, Mike seli 214 intake cams, Ported n polished heads, Interprep valve springs, DE retainers, rebuilt bottom end, toga main and rod bearings, toga hv oil pump, CZT 67mm tb, mbx udp, ported intake mani, SS headers, 2.5inch full exhaust, racingbeat muffler, highflow cat, megasquirt v2.

new toy, 86 TII rx7, JDM S5 motor/turbo, + alot of other goodies

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”