Laws on lights and mods

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
THStrumpet

Laws on lights and mods

Post by THStrumpet »

I have like window washer nozzle lights and blinkin tire lights and HID headlights. I live in Virginia Beach, Virginia. I was wondering if anyone knew of a website that has like laws and stuff about these kind of things so I can make sure what I buy is legal, even though i don't really care, I still want to know!<P>Joel
L83R,

Joel
SpeedConcepts #11

I live my life a quarter mile at a time, nothing else matters, for those 22 seconds or more, I'm free.
THStrumpet

Re: Laws on lights and mods

Post by THStrumpet »

also, what about blue back up lights?
L83R,

Joel
SpeedConcepts #11

I live my life a quarter mile at a time, nothing else matters, for those 22 seconds or more, I'm free.
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

Appearance forum..........<P>------------------<BR><B><I>David Coleman</B></I><BR><A HREF="http://www.PinkMX-3.com" TARGET=_blank>1993 Mazda MX-3 GS Special Edition</A><BR><B><A HREF="http://www.highlandsun.com/hyc/sae920677/" TARGET=_blank><I>V6 engine info</I></A> | <A HREF="http://www.bradbury.cwc.net/probemx/index.htm" TARGET=_blank>KL FAQ</A> | <I><A HREF="http://www.brownsword.ca/Probe.html" TARGET=_blank>ECU reprogramming</A></I> | <A HREF="http://members.home.net/tekguy/" TARGET=_blank>K series Image cache</A> | <I><A HREF="http://archive.probetalk.com/cgi-bin/se ... tion=intro" TARGET=_blank>Probetalk Archive Search</A></I></B><BR><B>Support OPEC: Buy an SUV</B>
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
SirCruizer

Post by SirCruizer »

Contact the local police department there. Most police departments and i am sure the one there would have an officer or higher ranked that can tell you every law regarding street legalness of a car. I feel sorry for you though cause I have been to virginia beach and they pulled me over for noise pollution and I wasnt even pulling that many DBs.... I hear there they pull over anyone if they can hear thier stereo at all... Thats crazy... Dont know about other mods on your car but I have a feeling the VB police departments dont like modifieds vary well... (Their just jealous)<P>------------------<BR>You haven't lived life untill you have lived it one second at a time!
Friends dont let friends drive Domestic
THStrumpet

Post by THStrumpet »

Whoa I don't know about stereo, have not seen that one. But last night, where I work, I saw I guy got pulled over for having a neon underbody kit, he had to get a tow truck, hehe.
L83R,

Joel
SpeedConcepts #11

Bad_Ktty02

Post by Bad_Ktty02 »

Hey, i live in chesapeake and the laws are really strict all over hampton roads, but the worst down at the strip. i have twinkle revserse lights and they are very illegal, but cops don't usually watch someone back up. washer nozzle lights are illegal, as are neons, blacklights, etc... i had some Tireflys and they are illegal, but not so bad, the biggest problem is someone stealing them. <BR>BTW i'm trying to start a Tidewater MX-3 club, would you like to help me out?<BR><P>------------------<BR>thanks,<BR>-=*Heather*=-<BR>'93 Mazda MX-3 Special Edition
thanks,<BR>-=*Heather*=-<BR>'93 Mazda MX-3 Special Edition
mx3custom

Post by mx3custom »

i would check with a higher ranked police officer, or go to you local station and ask, i found that some traffic cops do not know exactly what is legal, i got pulled over for a purple light in my back window, he said it was close enough to blue so it was illegal, another cop said blue was legal. anyway it is a misdimenoer in michigan so be willing to face the consequences if you do put them on, i still have neon lights because i think the appereance is worth it. and jail time is slim to none. (yes a misdemener has up to 93 days in jail and/or a fine)
RanMan

Post by RanMan »

For the FINAL ANSWER to your legal questions about the modifications you make to your car, go to the source...the government that makes the laws. This link below will allow you to click on your state and then it will take you to that state's website for their laws. <A HREF="http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/laws.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/laws.html</A>
GMGQ

Post by GMGQ »

Well the main thing is: <P><B>HOW DISTRACTING ARE THE MODS TO YOURSELF OR OTHER DRIVERS ON THE ROAD?</B><P>It's basically common sense. If you have neons/LEDs/lights/etc. around the ceiling/interior of your car, then the brightness would obviously affect your vision. Particularly at night, when the lights would just reflect off the inside of your windows. (Ever notice that it's harder to see outside in the dark, when your dome light is on?).<P>Any non-standard coloured bulbs around the outside of your car could confuse other drives. Blue back up lights are not normal, so the cars behind you may not realize that you're backing up (right into them!).<P>LEDs in the windshield washer nozzles? I'm sure you've seen a LED straight on from the top of the LED -- blinding eh? Well then it may look cool from the outside, but in the driver's seat, that same blinding LED can affect your vision of things in front of you. Sure it may not be right in your face when you're driving normally. But what about unexpected circumstances, like an animal or small child on the road. You may need to move around to get a better view -- OOPS, a bright LED is suddenly in your way and you lose vision for a split second.<P>A loud system in your car may impare your hearing of oncoming emergency vehicles. Sure when the ambulance gets close enough, you will be able to see the flashing lights and hear the loud sirens, but by that time, it may be pretty close, and you'd be in its way. It would be better if you could hear it while it's still in the distance, so that you can plan ahead and pull over accordingly to let it pass by.<P>Aftermarket HIDs are generally NOT DOT approved. So they can actually be worse for oncoming traffic. Actually there was an article out there that said that these aftermarket HID "conversion" kits are bad, because even though they appear to be really bright, they're not aimed properly. It's just some people who have access to the materials, who put together these kits for a quick buck.<P>And tinting of the front windows is bad too (driver & passenger sides, in front of the shoulders). Sure it looks cool and is better for the bright sun. But at night, if your tint is dark, you have to admit that your vision out of your window is limited to things which have light shining on it. Anything without adequate light shining on it is virtually BLACK. It's hard enough to see some people crossing the street at night, who are wearing all black.<P>Most of these ricey aftermarket mods are for show cars. Meaning cars that are displayed at car shows for display purposes only. Generally, these cars are NOT street legal. Most mods that you can do are still 'legal' as long as you don't turn them on while you're driving. You may think that some mods don't affect your driving. But they may affect other drivers on the road. Either directly (lights too bright, blinding their vision) or indirectly (their attention is distracted by looking at your flashing 'circus car').<P>So just remember: <B>COMMON SENSE</B>. Cops aren't out to get you just because they're on a power trip. It's safer for everyone on the road if everyone conforms to some basic rules.
Gary Mui ( mx3style@shaw.ca )
Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://mx3slimvisors.2ya.com
RanMan

Post by RanMan »

That's it, everyone needs to make their cars look exactly alike. Take all your mods off and go back to stock.....YEAH RIGHT. Let me tell you how concerned I am about other drivers. You want to talk about headlights. What about the freaking Ford Pickups? You ever had an F150 or a Ranger on your tail at night? I can't believe those lights are DOT approved! Their low beams are brighter than most peoples high beams. TOO BAD if my lights are brighter than normal. When you are driving at night, you need to see right? If you can't see, then let's just let some blind people get behind the wheel. And about people looking at your car...oh well. The way I see it is....if my green side lights and washer nozzles get peoples attention, then they will SEE me and be more aware that my car is there. It is pretty hard to see a Black MX-3 at night.
GMGQ

Post by GMGQ »

Well the ford pickups are HIGHER than a low MX-3, so their headlights are almost at eye level with you. It's a truck. You drive a car.<P>But whatever. It's your prerogative.<p>[ September 21, 2001: Message edited by: GMGQ ]
Gary Mui ( mx3style@shaw.ca )
Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://mx3slimvisors.2ya.com

Return to “Appearance”