Clutch :(

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
solo_ryder

Clutch :(

Post by solo_ryder »

Hey everyone, I was sitting at a intersection and I was ready to go and then all of a sudden i feel a sudder, and my car almost die so i roll down my window and i here a screeching noise, its my clutch #@!$. I guess it blew out, I dunno how I didnt drive it hard, but anyways, how much would it cost to get a new clutch put in? could I do this myself? What kinda clutch should i get, a mx6 Clutch?
Talon_66

Re: Clutch :(

Post by Talon_66 »

Hey a MX3er close to Kami!
Get an MX6 or Probe GT clutch. I got my Centerforce DF for $250 through lordco
93 GS, KLZE, KL31 ECU, Centerforce Stg 3 Clutch, 2.25" Exhaust w/Flowmaster muffler, OBX Headers, Pheno Spacers, Front & rear X-drilled/slotted Rotors, KVR pads, SS brake & clutch lines, Ractive Filter, H&R Springs, Tokico Blue Struts, 8mm Accel Wires, MSD 6A w/ Blaster 2 Coil, HVAC Indiglo Panel. *Sold*
06 Eclipse GT *Sold*
08 Evo X GSR *Current*
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

oh yea, who put it in for you, i hear there is alot of labour involved.
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

If you've still got a K8, forget an expensive clutch. Just get a OEM clutch for a Ford Probe 2.5L. There's no way in hell you'll ever get your K8 to make anywhere near as much power as a KL.
MazdaManiacMx3
Supporting Member

Post by MazdaManiacMx3 »

Try ebay , buy a exedy clutch they grab great and only cost about 125 shipped
93 Kandy Tangerine Mx3 GS-DE
05 Saab 9-2x (Wrx power plant)
02 Subaru Impreza OBS
05 Subaru forester Xt - sti mods
04 dodge ram - toy hauler -FOR SALE
& Lots of Toys to haul :D
Talon_66

Post by Talon_66 »

Originally posted by solo_ryder:
oh yea, who put it in for you, i hear there is alot of labour involved.
My buddy did when we did my swap. The clutch was very simple. Just get a clutch alignment tool. And then put it on. Very easy. Finding a place to re-surface the flywheel was the hardest part.
93 GS, KLZE, KL31 ECU, Centerforce Stg 3 Clutch, 2.25" Exhaust w/Flowmaster muffler, OBX Headers, Pheno Spacers, Front & rear X-drilled/slotted Rotors, KVR pads, SS brake & clutch lines, Ractive Filter, H&R Springs, Tokico Blue Struts, 8mm Accel Wires, MSD 6A w/ Blaster 2 Coil, HVAC Indiglo Panel. *Sold*
06 Eclipse GT *Sold*
08 Evo X GSR *Current*
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Alright, I plan on doing a KLDE swap in the future so i guess i'll get the probe clutch, BTW how many LBS should i shave my flywheel down?
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

ZERO. I know some people do it with no trouble, but there just as many that have the flywheel break into pieces.
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

are u serious? i heard 7 LBS is the lowest u can go without having problems of breaking and/or warping...also how hard is it to put in a clutch, I plan on doin it with a couple of friends because I know that mechanical labour cost alot and that this clutch is very time consuming to put in.
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Originally posted by solo_ryder:
are u serious? i heard 7 LBS is the lowest u can go without having problems of breaking and/or warping...also how hard is it to put in a clutch, I plan on doin it with a couple of friends because I know that mechanical labour cost alot and that this clutch is very time consuming to put in.
The lighter flywheels are made of aluminum. That's how they lighten them. Not by thinning them out. You want enough thickness to radiate heat properly.
Talon_66

Post by Talon_66 »

There is a Supra Clutch and Flywheel combination that weighs a total of 7 lbs together, and holds 1200+ HP

<small>[ December 12, 2004, 10:09 PM: Message edited by: Talon_66 ]</small>
06 Eclipse GT *Sold*
08 Evo X GSR *Current*
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

Originally posted by Talon_66:
There is a Supra Clutch and Flywheel combination that weighs a total of 7 lbs together, and holds 1200+ HP
Yes and they are made from high tensile steels, not cast iron. They also use multiple small clutches like a motorcycle to keep the weight and inertia down.
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

oh like a puck type clutch, cool well TSI so what your saying is i should just leave my flywheel alone?
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

I wouldn't touch it.

RoundTop

Post by RoundTop »

most of the guys I know who have shaved their flywheel have had idling issues.

The best think you can do when replacing your clutch is replace the clutch line with a braided steel one, this will reduce fade in your clutch.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”