sand

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
goldsberry1

sand

Post by goldsberry1 »

what should i do to clean the sand out of my motor that somehow made its way in there and killed the new bearings. you think a few cans of carb cleaner sprayed inside the block after i pull the crank. i dont really want to pull the pistons. oh and what about the turbo. you think i should clean it out too.
92' mx-3 gsr, built engine, forged internals, p/p ze heads. t3/t4e .63/.60 turbo, udp, msd ignition, millenia s injectors, millenia im, water cooled intercooler, afpr, fmu. running at 7 psi right now
TsiMiata

Re: sand

Post by TsiMiata »

Bring it to an engine shop and have them hot tank it. That's the only way you'll be sure to get it out.
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Post by Zoso124 »

I'll be the one to ask, How did you get sand in your engine? Air cleaner pick it up?
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L
goldsberry1

Post by goldsberry1 »

really, i dont know how it got in there. i had just finished building it up. its a fully built engine for the turbo set up it has now. it was completely done, i tried to start it and it would barely turn over then it stoped everything and wouldnt turn over. i tried to spin it with a socket and couldnt budge it by hand. i had to push the rachet with my foot to turn the engine over. i ended up pulling the rod caps off and there was sand in it. not sure where it came from.
here is sc we dont have "dirt" we have sand so it might have just blown in around all the covers i had on it. but this weekend i'm pulling it back out.
92' mx-3 gsr, built engine, forged internals, p/p ze heads. t3/t4e .63/.60 turbo, udp, msd ignition, millenia s injectors, millenia im, water cooled intercooler, afpr, fmu. running at 7 psi right now
TekPmp

Post by TekPmp »

Did you have any sand/glass bead blasting done to the engine during your rebuild? ...perhaps some was caked inside
Black 94 RS, Erebuni MS style front, OEM sideskirts, Clear signals, altezza tails, 93 seats, Civic projectors
goldsberry1

Post by goldsberry1 »

i just pulled the enigne completely down the main bearings had sand completely embeded all through them, it was bad. i will take some pictures later and post them. i found some sand to look at closer. it turns out, from the way it looks, the guy i bought the motor from had the engine sand blasted. then built it without a good cleaning. so it killed the crank and bearings too. i have another good crankand new bearings now i have to get the engine hot tanked. yay :confused: :confused: :rant2:

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”