Bearings?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
kev259

Bearings?

Post by kev259 »

Well got the emissions done, and on to the next problem. When I am coming to a stop or when I'm first starting out I hear a knocking sound and it's getting worse. It has a grinding sound to it too. I was thinking maybe the bearings, but not sure. If it does end up being that is that a pretty expensive job?
'92 MX-3 KLZE
'04 Subaru STI
lakersfan1

Re: Bearings?

Post by lakersfan1 »

Ummmm. Yeah. If you're not doing it yourself, it'd be cheaper to just replace the whole engine with a KLDE or KLZE. The whole block will need to be pulled. The bottom end needs to be disassembled. The crank needs to be sent in to have the journals machined. Then new bearings put in place. Engine put back in. :freak:

Test to see if it's something else first. First thing to do is see if you can eliminate the screching by taking off both your accesory belts and start it up cold. If it doesn't screech, then the screeching was just belts old or too loose.

The knocking could be TBTA noise or FGS noise.

But if taking the belts off doesn't solve the screeching, then you can likely go with the first theory on the bearings being bad.

<small>[ November 02, 2004, 06:06 PM: Message edited by: lakersfan1 ]</small>
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

Sounds like your front brakes need an overhaul to me.
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
kev259

Post by kev259 »

Thing is I just put new rotors and pads on there...Damn, so you have to totally take the engine out?!?! ****...
'92 MX-3 KLZE
'04 Subaru STI
kev259

Post by kev259 »

Yeah, and I just got a ze put in a couple months ago :( :( Man this sucks...
'92 MX-3 KLZE
'04 Subaru STI
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

where is the knocking sound coming from?
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Originally posted by mxmaz:
where is the knocking sound coming from?
Yeah, I didn't even think of the breaks. Hopefully you would be able to tell if it was the engine or breaks though. But if it's already a ZE, I would have rebuilt it anyways before I installed it. God only knows how often those Japs changed thier oil since they already know they're getting a new engine in 50K miles. That's why when I started getting some money, I bought a junked DE engine *** cheap, and am spending all my money on rebuild parts and machining. Getting ZE pistons cheap, already have a good flowing intake maniold, doing head porting at home, and will get some cams later on. I should be right about at ZE power when all is said and done for less cost, but with knowing everything is in spec and all bearings/rings/etc are new.

If it's only been a couple months, is your ZE still in warranty? I know alot of importers give like a 3 or 6 month warranty.

<small>[ November 03, 2004, 10:15 AM: Message edited by: lakersfan1 ]</small>
kev259

Post by kev259 »

It's definatly not the engine, the dude who put it in said it couldn't have more than 15k on it and it's really clean. And the sound is only there if I pull hard or stop moderatly. Seems to me like it's coming from the front left tire area, but I could be wrong. Everything else is running great, its just that sound is making me nervous. Still pulls hard as hell...
'92 MX-3 KLZE
'04 Subaru STI
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Originally posted by kev259:
It's definatly not the engine, the dude who put it in said it couldn't have more than 15k on it and it's really clean. And the sound is only there if I pull hard or stop moderatly. Seems to me like it's coming from the front left tire area, but I could be wrong. Everything else is running great, its just that sound is making me nervous. Still pulls hard as hell...
Could be wheel hub bearing and/or axle. If your axle boot in tact, or is it torn?
kev259

Post by kev259 »

Not sure, but I'll have to check that out. Where is that, can I see it if I just take off the wheel? Thanks for the suggestions!
'92 MX-3 KLZE
'04 Subaru STI
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

The axles? They're those big cylinders with boots around the joints that connect the wheel to the transmission.
dewthis

Post by dewthis »

I have a vibration under acceleration and noticed the other day that my passanger side axle,inside hub is ripped open. Its where the axle connects to the intermediate shaft. You think this could cause a vibration?
65 shot > V8
kev259

Post by kev259 »

The axles? They're those big cylinders with boots around the joints that connect the wheel to the transmission.

hehe, right, I knew that I swear :) I'll have to take a look this weekend. So would I be looking for something that's cracked, or a leak?
'92 MX-3 KLZE
'04 Subaru STI
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

Both - look at the cv joints in the axles. Is the rubber torn or is it leaking oil?
GS-R SE
Fixin's
yemc

Post by yemc »

Originally posted by kev259:
Well got the emissions done, and on to the next problem. When I am coming to a stop or when I'm first starting out I hear a knocking sound and it's getting worse. It has a grinding sound to it too. I was thinking maybe the bearings, but not sure. If it does end up being that is that a pretty expensive job?
I too have had the same problem. got some guy to strip it down and he worked out that the suspension bushes for the wishbones where screwed £55 later all works fine! COULD HAVE BEEN MUCH WORSE.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”